RMweb

Lockdown #2

spikey

4 hours ago, Phil Traxson said:

And here in Wales we will not even be able to drink in a pub after Friday because our beloved leader has decided that they can only open until 6 pm, and even when open are not allowed to sell alcohol. So they've almost all decided to close completely until further notice, even Wetherspoons. Some of them will never open again. This, of course, is not be expected to cause folks to meet up and drink at home or cause any employment losses!!

4 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Same as level 3 here in Scotland, then, which my local authority area has now been at for a month.

Mate, theres no easy way to break this to you.

In 1916 Australia introduced temporary laws to close pubs at 6pm to 'help the war effort'

They were not repealed until 1967 - 51 years later....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Phil Traxson said:

And here in Wales we will not even be able to drink in a pub after Friday because our beloved leader has decided that they can only open until 6 pm, and even when open are not allowed to sell alcohol. So they've almost all decided to close completely until further notice, even Wetherspoons. Some of them will never open again. This, of course, is not be expected to cause folks to meet up and drink at home or cause any employment losses!!

Re your last point though there actually is some logic to it. There is an edict about not meeting indoors and the authorities know that controlling breaches on a small scale is problematic but equally some will actually take heed of it. With pubs it can be controlled, hence shutting that avenue for social mixing.

I am not saying I agree with all the aspects of various options of the control policy, or the levels of compensation being paid out to any of the businesses shut, but they have to do something. Some of the decisions do seem odd but with any yes/no line there is blurring around the edges with some catches and some exemptions looking like they are the wrong way round.

What was not brought back was the one-way flow and crowd-distancing control in shops, I wish it had been but without filling the shops with an army of tough bouncers, it would be largely ignored. That said, even with some of the rugger scrum images I’ve seen in retail the face to face interactions at close quarters are less likely in a supermarket, where many will be adequately masked up too, than between drinkers in pubs. 

Edited by john new
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Ultimate hypocrisy in the local 'peper.  the MD of what used to be the brewery and pub owning company but is now basically a property company which rents out pub and former pub buildings has criticised the inability of a pub just to serve drinks where we are in Tier 2 and saying what a threat this is to the hospitality trade (he called it an industry :scratchhead:).

I think that is very rich coming from the MD of the company which, over the years, has closed all but two of the pubs closed locally and which also shut down a profitable brewery which was the second biggest employer in the town giving jobs and pensions to dozens of people plus providing cheap housing for some of them.   On its own that company has done far more to harm the licensed trade, in. its widest sense, in this town than the pandemic is ever likely to.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Went "shopping" today, first time for a couple of months.

I went to a M&S Foodhall, a TK Maxx & a Starbucks

The carpark (free) was pretty full.

TK Maxx was busy with orderly queing for checkouts, which was being marshalled and distancing was generally being complied with.

M & S, surprisingly wasn't as busy with plenty of circulating room in the store and no need to queue for a till.

Starbucks was fairly quiet, as being in tier 3 no seats or tables were available in or out. (I had intended having a coffee and sitting outside, so just came away with some bagged coffee.

On the way back home I went past a station carpark (free) and it had plenty of space, when it is usually crammed on a weekday.

Almost everybody was wearing masks, as soon as they got out of their cars

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

I had to visit our local sub post office today, I think the following experience sums up the way people behave regarding social distancing.

Situated in the local High St., there is a disabled parking bay right outside the door. Unusually it was empty; makes a change from the local suv driver who doesn't care. Luckily the next bay was empty, and I parked there. There was a queue which extended out of the door, past the next shop front next door to end level with my car, so I stayed sat there for a few minutes in the warm. The queue was socially distanced ok, and people moved around ok when someone exited, or wanted to use the ATM in the shop window.

Eventually the queue reduced a little, and I saw others approaching, so I stepped out of the car, and 2 paces later was 2m from the end of the queue. An old couple (with masks) approached and stopped behind me. She said something to hubby about going to get the papers (another shop) but instead stayed. As she was talking to him, she kept moving around, brushing against me a few times - not 2m away! This continued every time we moved forward - about 4 times until I reached the door. On reflection I should have said something, but as my back was towards them I didn't. Once I got through the door though, with markers on the floor, I maintained my spacing (forwards). Rearwards, there was twice the spacing back to the door - they stayed outside now! And with every move forward, they only moved 1 space forward! In fact she was still jabbering, and I caught some comment to hubby that they had to keep to the markings - so why did they not do so outside? 

Stewart

• Like 1

Todays Australia VS India T20 match at the SCG will be the first since crowd limits were abolished here this week, allowing 100% capacity once again. Will be interesting to see the crowd numbers, I assume many people will go just for the novelty value of being back to normal and standing crushed in a crowd again after all these months of social distancing.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Eventually the queue reduced a little, and I saw others approaching, so I stepped out of the car, and 2 paces later was 2m from the end of the queue. An old couple (with masks) approached and stopped behind me. She said something to hubby about going to get the papers (another shop) but instead stayed. As she was talking to him, she kept moving around, brushing against me a few times - not 2m away! This continued every time we moved forward - about 4 times until I reached the door.

Part of the problem with pushing the mask message so much. Masks are better than nothing when being in close proximity for a while is unavoidable. Staying apart is more effective.

• Agree 5

17 hours ago, stewartingram said:

and 2 paces later was 2m from the end of the queue. An old couple (with masks) approached and stopped behind me. She said something to hubby about going to get the papers (another shop) but instead stayed. As she was talking to him, she kept moving around, brushing against me a few times - not 2m away! This continued every time we moved forward - about 4 times until I reached the door. On reflection I should have said something,

I have this problem too...

It is made even worse when I find I cannot summon a decent fart!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
On 02/12/2020 at 18:41, monkeysarefun said:

Mate, theres no easy way to break this to you.

In 1916 Australia introduced temporary laws to close pubs at 6pm to 'help the war effort'

UK licensing laws (as far as hours limitations) were introduced in 1914  and not relaxed till the 1980s.. and not until 2005 was a 24 hour permit available.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 08/12/2020 at 14:06, TheQ said:

UK licensing laws (as far as hours limitations) were introduced in 1914  and not relaxed till the 1980s.. and not until 2005 was a 24 hour permit available.

I remember when the Sunday hours were extended by an hour and the regulars all stayed the extra hour and then had to answer for the spoilt Sunday dinner; the next Week all departed at normal time!

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

One of the first places I went was hobby craft .

A guy working there told me they would no longer be stocking Hornby, humbrol and airfix and to expect more revell.

That is not so bad. I prefer Revell paints to Humbrol. Getting them is the issue.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

A guy working there told me they would no longer be stocking Hornby, humbrol and airfix and to expect more revell.

That's news to me, I thought they'd stopped years ago, at least the ones I've used.

• RMweb Premium
On 02/12/2020 at 18:41, monkeysarefun said:

In 1916 the UK started the state management scheme to control brewing & sales in three areas of the country.

It didn't end until 1971 when the assets were flogged off by the Edward Heath Government.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Management_Scheme

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 02/12/2020 at 14:14, Phil Traxson said:

As HRH he Duke of Edinburgh once said in Cardiff, what you need in Welsh-speaking Wales is good Brains.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

That is not so bad. I prefer Revell paints to Humbrol. Getting them is the issue.

Antics are excellent for paints, including the Revell range but having tried them for the first time last month I will be going back to my preferred Tamiya range, I found the Revell acrylic picked up on the second coat far too easily unless left overnight, I find Tamiya needs just a few hours.

• Informative/Useful 2

16 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I noticed earlier this year that there was a hobby craft within a ten minute walk from where I live. With just a cursory glance through their window, I concluded that there would be nothing there to assist with railway modelling. Maybe I need to re-evaluate?.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

As HRH he Duke of Edinburgh once said in Cardiff, what you need in Welsh-speaking Wales is good Brains.

Brains would make a substantial meal..

image.png.ee45663ea98145fb2a0f917a70ec295f.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, rocor said:

I noticed earlier this year that there was a hobby craft within a ten minute walk from where I live. With just a cursory glance through their window, I concluded that there would be nothing there to assist with railway modelling. Maybe I need to re-evaluate?.

My nearest Hobbycraft (The Fort, Glasgow) stocks Airfix kits and Humbrol paint, but no Hornby trains. It also has some Woodland Scenic items but again, no Bachmann trains. Plus other makes of plastic kit and paints, materials (eg balsa wood) and tools. Worth a visit occasionally to stock up. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

57 minutes ago, TheQ said:

image.png.ee45663ea98145fb2a0f917a70ec295f.png

Wonderful food, comfort food...A box of 6 can be cheaper than a box of 4.....hence I have been known to indulge in overkill?

Although I think the recipe [for the gravy?] has changed over the years?

Probably gone more PC?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

There is a pub down here which was going to rename a beer to “Substantial Meal”........it might have worked.....had the lockdown not been lifted.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, caradoc said:

My nearest Hobbycraft (The Fort, Glasgow) stocks Airfix kits and Humbrol paint, but no Hornby trains. It also has some Woodland Scenic items but again, no Bachmann trains. Plus other makes of plastic kit and paints, materials (eg balsa wood) and tools. Worth a visit occasionally to stock up. 

The Reading branch stopped stocking Bachmann trains years ago but the last time I looked (last year) it still stocked Woodland Scenics.  It also cut back its Hornby stocking considerably a good few years back which was a pity because it had a very useful pricing policy which seemed tom mean that anything which hadn't sold in 6 months was reduced to a ridiculous price - you just needed to time your visits carefully ;)

Nice pub lunch today in one of the not too distant country pubs.  couldn't get in to our first choice as their outdoor 'pods' are booked solid so we went to another one with a marquee and plenty of room.  Such was the meal one would hardly have had room for a drink!!

• Like 2