The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Geoffrey Palmer.......

gordon s

• RMweb Gold

Whilst he played other higher profile roles for which he will be better remembered by others, his Uncle Jimmy in The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin is etched in my memory. Cock up on the catering front.....

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

As well as the obvious roles I liked him in Fairly Secret Army which was an unofficial spin off from the Reggie Perrin character Jimmy. The BBC wouldn't give them the rights so they tweaked the character and he was a lot more outspoken.

One of the few roles that he had a bit more freedom as he was the main man. I don't know how well they would stand up now as it was probably "of its time". I think it's on YouTube.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, cary hill said:

"I'm a doctor and I want my sausages!"

Oh yes, another classic line from his appearance in Fawlty Towers. :jester:

• Like 1

Always loved him in 'As Time Goes By', where he played another in a long line of slightly grumpy but warm and charming characters to a tee. He often popped up as besuited Whitehall types in films and TV series, he even appeared in 'The Professionals' as a villain.

RIP.

• Agree 3

I remember a series in to 80s where he played Penelope Keith's husband. My parents kept remarking that Peter Bowles would have been good in that role because he had worked well with Keith in another series.

After the first series, they got their wish & the role was re-cast to Bowles. It soon became apparent how good Palmer was.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I remember a series in to 80s where he played Penelope Keith's husband. My parents kept remarking that Peter Bowles would have been good in that role because he had worked well with Keith in another series.

After the first series, they got their wish & the role was re-cast to Bowles. It soon became apparent how good Palmer was.

It was called Executive Stress.

RIP Geoffrey.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I always loved him in Butterflies.  The joke about the wife's cooking was so simple yet through good writing, acting and production it was kept going through several series and he always to me seemed to be the lynchpin.

• Agree 2

On 06/11/2020 at 17:46, Phil Bullock said:

Whilst he played other higher profile roles for which he will be better remembered by others, his Uncle Jimmy in The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin is etched in my memory. Cock up on the catering front.....

Bet he wished the scripts were more like the books, what his character got up to with Linda (the buxom Sally-Jane Spencer who I had a serious crush on) wasn't for the TV screens!!!

• Funny 1