Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

A shed which has had many repairs over the years stands behind the substation  next to the hall. Where might a door painted this colour have been liberated from?

IMG_20210523_091320.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Yummy. Straight out of the microwave!

IMG_20210526_210839.jpg.0b6cedb7a3b93b98124486a73c4f3b1f.jpg

There's a very good reason for these. When most people have a weekend away, they bring back a souvenir, a  postcard, a stick of rock.

I just brought back sticks. Lots of sticks.

The raison d'etre of this railway was exporting timber and sheep. 

So why not bring back something suitable from the actual area? As loads for his MACAW bolster wagons, @KNP used willow sticks, cut with a fine saw and microwaved to kill off any bugs. A little dry brushing with reds and greys should do the job. They vary in diameter from 15" (5mm) to 33" (11mm) which seems about right. A few will be in the yard by the crane and the rest will be loaded onto flat wagons - eventually!

I am reliably informed that:

"The whole house smells of cooked stick."

I wonder if anyone has ever said that before?

I am clearly not in the doghouse, because it was followed by "It smells cosy like we have a log fire." And: "What would it take to put a log burner in here?"

We're probably going to have to move house.....:scratchhead:

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I have considered fitting it to a small base so that the concrete pads it would have been standing on can be modelled. 

I just have a fascination for the ordinary things that have been gradually disappearing from our landscape over the last three or four decades.

• Like 9

A serious question for those more knowledgeable than I about the GWR and their signal boxes.

If an Elsan / ash toilet is provided outside a signalbox, is it painted in the corporate colours or simply creosoted?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alister_G said:

That sounds a nice idea Rob, and you've really made a cracking job of it, it looks great.

Al.

Thanks Alister, it won't be considered finished until it has a layer of moss, rust and general filth though. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, MrWolf said:

Thanks Alister, it won't be considered finished until it has a layer of moss, rust and general filth though. 

Ooh now that sounds nice.

Al.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Yummy. Straight out of the microwave!

IMG_20210526_210839.jpg.0b6cedb7a3b93b98124486a73c4f3b1f.jpg

There's a very good reason for these. When most people have a weekend away, they bring back a souvenir, a  postcard, a stick of rock.

I just brought back sticks. Lots of sticks.

The raison d'etre of this railway was exporting timber and sheep. 

So why not bring back something suitable from the actual area? As loads for his MACAW bolster wagons, @KNP used willow sticks, cut with a fine saw and microwaved to kill off any bugs. A little dry brushing with reds and greys should do the job. They vary in diameter from 15" (5mm) to 33" (11mm) which seems about right. A few will be in the yard by the crane and the rest will be loaded onto flat wagons - eventually!

I am reliably informed that:

"The whole house smells of cooked stick."

I wonder if anyone has ever said that before?

I am clearly not in the doghouse, because it was followed by "It smells cosy like we have a log fire." And: "What would it take to put a log burner in here?"

We're probably going to have to move house.....:scratchhead:

What's brown and sticky?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

A serious question for those more knowledgeable than I about the GWR and their signal boxes.

If an Elsan / ash toilet is provided outside a signalbox, is it painted in the corporate colours or simply creosoted?

What kind of building is it in? If a corrugated hut, then probably painted in the stone building colours.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

36 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

What kind of building is it in? If a corrugated hut, then probably painted in the stone building colours.

Thanks, I had a feeling that it would be. I should perhaps have mentioned that. It's a finished / planed timber structure with corrugated iron roof. I'm modifying a Wills' privy to suit, unless there's an official design that anyone knows of?

• RMweb Gold

Could have been worse. It could have been that sodding purple American dinosaur. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Thanks, I had a feeling that it would be. I should perhaps have mentioned that. It's a finished / planed timber structure with corrugated iron roof. I'm modifying a Wills' privy to suit, unless there's an official design that anyone knows of?

Probably not painted stone colours, in that case. Why not just bare, weathered wood and rust corrugated roof?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Probably not painted stone colours, in that case. Why not just bare, weathered wood and rust corrugated roof?

Thanks, that sounds good enough for me. Somewhere I read an article in a thread about bleached out creosoted timber... It was sandwiched in between a lot of drivel about points and sticks IIRC...

• Funny 4

2 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

Thank you for reminding me of that - I haven't heard it for at least a couple of months!

Frightfully sorry old chap, that song is beastly isn't it?

I did set off with the best of intentions to write a serious piece about the way I was using the real thing to make a model, but it seems as is often the case I have been somewhat led astray....

terrythomas.jpg.071397fd9cce58d94f31ce7a471d97a0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Nothing very exciting but a step forward with the layout, now that the errant pointwork appears to have been well and truly routed.

I have mixed up a filler PVA mix that is just sloppy enough to be applied by brush. This way it is forced through the stockinette polishing cloth I have stretched over the styrene formers as a reinforcement. This will bond everything together and I will be adding further layers once dry. 

Then I will have somewhere to plant the telegraph poles and about three hundred posts for wire fencing. 

That promises to be fun....

IMG_20210527_213442.jpg

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1