Class 158 - New Tool

TomE

4 hours ago, Kris said:

I have spent much of the morning testing my new 158. I noticed a few things. 
It has a horrid intrusive whine at low speeds.
After leaving the loco sat for a while idling it would not drive off. I loved this by switching the power supply off then on again after a couple of minutes.
When using the brake function there have been a couple of speed surges on release of the brake. 

I am using a prodigy advance 2

Has anyone else noted these issues?

Presumably a GWR one?

What's the front end lighting like please. The video I've seen on YouTube to date, the headlight is lit but it's difficult to see if the marker is too. Simply put, are there one or two white lights on the front?

Jo

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Kris said:

I have spent much of the morning testing my new 158. I noticed a few things. 
It has a horrid intrusive whine at low speeds.
After leaving the loco sat for a while idling it would not drive off. I loved this by switching the power supply off then on again after a couple of minutes.
When using the brake function there have been a couple of speed surges on release of the brake. 

I am using a prodigy advance 2

Has anyone else noted these issues?

The brake function works with the controller turned off otherwise it will try and accelerate again. I think it also has a latching facility so you may need to release F2 to take the brakes off.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steadfast said:

Presumably a GWR one?

What's the front end lighting like please. The video I've seen on YouTube to date, the headlight is lit but it's difficult to see if the marker is too. Simply put, are there one or two white lights on the front?

Jo

Only the headlight is lit. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

The brake function works with the controller turned off otherwise it will try and accelerate again. I think it also has a latching facility so you may need to release F2 to take the brakes off.

The controller was set to zero but the set briefly accelerated to about 40% speed for about 2 seconds before stopping. 

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Kris said:

Only the headlight is lit. 

Thanks, as I feared. A shame when other manufacturers are adding more lighting features. I'm not complaining about the price as it looks a great model, but for when you're paying that bit more, it's the little things like accurate lighting, that set it off.

Jo

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JBM37404 said:

Just got my RR 158 home and running in, lovely looking model.

Does yours whine at slow / crawling speeds?

• RMweb Premium

I wish I had a crystal ball - I'd rather have the "Express" branded version of Regional Railways but have no idea if it'll appear this year (or at all)! I don't recall seeing the version Farish have released. AFAIK the version Farish are making didn't appear until 1991 (construction started in 1989).

Asking Railtec to re-make their sheet (https://railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1783) with the text on a white background might work...

Steven B.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

My views so far:

Positive: great looking model, detail is spot on can't fault the body shape, livery numbers, letters etc. Runs OK and saloon lighting is nice.

Negative: no snowplough cowling supplied. Scotrail fitted these early on in 1990s. 

Lighting, although the Saloon lighting is good the cabs are also lit. Cab lights are rarely on when trains are driven.

Can't overly complain though the model is light years ahead of the old tooling.

• Like 2

On 30/12/2023 at 23:29, Kris said:

My thoughts on the new 158 can be seen here. 

From 5:38 you can hear the whine. 

https://youtu.be/yScUHj519yw

it may seem a silly question, when it wouldn’t move off with sound on, does it have a latching brake that was still on? I think a lot of models now use F2 as a brake, if the function is set to latch, then you need to operate it again to release the brake

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 47606odin said:

it may seem a silly question, when it wouldn’t move off with sound on, does it have a latching brake that was still on? I think a lot of models now use F2 as a brake, if the function is set to latch, then you need to operate it again to release the brake

I had not thought of that but have just checked the service info and Bachmann say that for the Farish 158 F2 brakes sounds are non latching. 

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Kris said:

I had not thought of that but have just checked the service info and Bachmann say that for the Farish 158 F2 brakes sounds are non latching. 

Doesn't really matter what Bachmann says, the controller determines whether a function is latching or not. For example on a Powercab all the numbered functions are latching and can't be changed. The separate horn/whistle button is a non latching version of F2.

• Informative/Useful 1

My GW unit arrived yesterday, and it does look absolutely fantastic. I'm not usually a big fan of gloss finishes in N but Farish have definitely done well this time. 

While it looks great and runs well though, I echo Jo's comment about the lack of marker light being disappointing, and I think they an odd omission from an otherwise near-perfect model. Only other complaint I really have is that the couplings are very stiff, but on the plus side they seem to be the same style and height as the Dapol Sprinters...

Value for money is always subjective, but compared to the 158s they were selling for £80 or so nearly 20 years ago the change in quality is huge. Now let's just hope they change their minds and make some 159s...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Wherry Lines said:

Quick comparison photo between an original tooling Bachfar release and the new tooling.20240115_191907.jpg.5ff36d167b72ed8a53d64db434319448.jpg

There is no comparison, really! The new one is lightyears away from the previous version. 

Tom. 

• Agree 2

I've now run in my EMT example for the full hour and I am rather impressed by the quality of running. On DC, it is incredibly smooth and quiet - and that's on a 40 year old homemade controller!  There is a nice weight and a solid feeling to the model and livery application is superb. Coupling the two coaches together is easy, but a little care must be taken to avoid bending the 4 connection pins. 

20240117_095327.jpg.fc144886a257d81466a8ebefeb6df526.jpg

I thought I'd try out coupling compatibility with the Dapol 156. Whilst the couplings look dimensionally very close, the Dapol coupler is very slightly chunkier, so will not engage with the Farish 158. Not surprising, but a bit of a shame as they look good together.

20240117_095549.jpg.91612892555c83980382fbd8345dda1a.jpg

Edited by Wherry Lines
  • Like 4

On 16/01/2024 at 06:43, Wherry Lines said:

Quick comparison photo between an original tooling Bachfar release and the new tooling.20240115_191907.jpg.5ff36d167b72ed8a53d64db434319448.jpg

All credit to Farish to producing an excellent upgrade. It really is very good indeed!  However to replace my old 158 fleet would cost almost £2000 so the old ones will do me for now!  For me they are "good enough". One advantage of new models is that I suspect more old ones will now come onto the market as spares.

• RMweb Premium

Could someone please tell me what the destination screens say on the two GWR versions?  Also, does anyone do replacement destination screens for them (I would need Brighton and Cardiff Central or Bristol TM for example)

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Could someone please tell me what the destination screens say on the two GWR versions?  Also, does anyone do replacement destination screens for them (I would need Brighton and Cardiff Central or Bristol TM for example)

One of them says Bristol the other says Penzance. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Could someone please tell me what the destination screens say

This really helpful page I found recently gives destination blind locations for all variants….

https://news.Bachmann.co.uk/2023/11/product-highlight-n-scale-class-158-dmus/?amp=1

Seems both cars of each 158 say the same destination…. at least, that is my experience with my GWR examples…. rather than destination pairs, eg. Cardiff Central < > Portsmouth Harbour, which would be better…. very minor grumble though….

• Informative/Useful 1