"We only accept cheques drawn on UK banks via a mail order..."

Guest WM183

6 minutes ago, Crosland said:

Do you have a post office? They take cheque deposits https://www.postoffice.co.uk/everydaybanking and offer other services.

Does you bank not provide (or supply on request) paying in envelopes. They even used to be pre-paid but ours are no longer.

Have you tried to use a post office lately? They're easy to find - just look for the huge queue snaking round the block!

Paying-in slips are available at post offices - a different one for each bank - when you (eventually) get to the front of the queue.

Since bank branches were closed en-masse, most small businesses pay in their takings at post offices. Watching bag-after-bag of coinage being weighed is not my idea of time well spent! Thanks to the banks opting-out of their unprofitable activities, bank queues were simply added to post office queues.

I'm afraid that - much against my principles - I may soon have to stop accepting cheques.

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Crosland said:

Do you have a post office? They take cheque deposits https://www.postoffice.co.uk/everydaybanking and offer other services.

Does you bank not provide (or supply on request) paying in envelopes. They even used to be pre-paid but ours are no longer.

I wasn’t aware of the post office taking cheques in.  It is the Nationwide, so a Building Society, but possibly still part of the scheme?  I will check it out. Thanks. 

Best

Scott.

For lotsayears now, I've had Coop basic bank accounts.

No frills [or thrills, as my spellchecker wanted me to say]....

Does everything I need of a bank account. Online servicing, etc, no fees, etc....

However, on electronical request, they send me the occasional wodge of specially printed envelopes, that enable me to pay any cheques folk are kind enough to send me [usually from an HM Govt department, oddly].  Drop them off at my local village post office [who get a small fee for the pleasure of seeing my face. Very rarely, if ever, queueing, no issues really, parking right outside, etc. Cash can be paid in straight over the counter [never tried under the counter?]

I have other bank accounts, with different 'companies', all online...mainly based on whichever bank offers to pay me a wodge for swapping to them?

Gone are the days when one's first purchase was a prayer mat.....handy for when being interviewed by a branch manager if seeking a mortgage?

I never refuse a cheque....even though it costs me around 9 miles worth of petrol just to pay it in over the PO counter...

Joys of rejecting the urban lifestyle decades ago...despite rural shortcomings

• Like 2

13 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I got part way through ACIB before I lost interest as I was not working in branches, only recently have I realised that the strange people who I used to share classes with at night school who were doing CIMA were the one's who were going to be earning decent money and being the brains behind many companies.

Yes indeed.  When I joined one of the then 'Big Five' banks in the late 60s, I was given to understand - and believed - that I was joining a "profession" with the same kinds of requirements, personal and technical standards, and yes, 'status' as Solicitors, Accountants, Doctors etc.  And for a while it was still like that. 

Then in the mid-80s the Banks discovered "Sales" and soon afterwards "Targets" ... and by the mid-90s it was clear that they'd come to realise that a large proportion of their current staff were ill-suited to the new ways of working because they still had the ethics and standards they'd been taught, and weren't comfortable selling poorer-quality products and services to people who didn't need them anyway.  So like many of my contemporaries, in the late nineties and early noughties I joined the long queue for Voluntary Redundancy and got out while there were still decent packages available - because we could see the way the wind was blowing and that those packages wouldn't be around much longer; and sure enough those who stayed-on were gradually edged out on much less favourable terms, and replaced by people who were cheaper and more malleable. 

I do still miss the job as it was; but I have few regrets about leaving it.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, scottystitch said:

Interestingly enough, I received a refund of Special Delivery postage costs from Royal Mail the other day, and it was in the form of a cheque. 

As my bank is in anotehr town, a few miles away, I'm not sure when I'll be allowed to deposit it, but that's by the by.

Best

Scott. 

I've started paying in cheques (to a Halifax account) using my phone.  It was quite painless - but there is an upper limit of £500 for a cheque (if I remember correctly).

It took me about 5 minutes in all - including finding out how to do it, which is quicker than going to the local branch which is less than 1 mile away.

David

• Like 1