The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Little Christmas traditions

AY Mod

• Moderators

I know it's finally Christmas when I sit down to watch The Snowman (it must be live as we barely had video recorders back then), it's always touched me as a short film as it reminds me of when I was a chi!d building a snowman until pained fingers could take no more. It reminds me of years later explaining to my young son what it was like to have country winters. And I always shed a tear each year, I can't help it!

For those that recall the intro David Bowie only took the scarf as payment for his part and now, years later, his son found that scarf packed in a box in the loft. Doesn't it seem apt?

What are your triggers for childhood Christmas memories?

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Oddly, as a child, I always thought that the Rudolph song was quite sad and would bring a tear to my eyes. It still triggers a small response that way (but no real tears), due to a long ensconced habit, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Speaking of David Bowie, Little Drummer Boy was my grandfather's favourite Christmas song and subsequently mine too. My grandfather passed away many years, but when I hear the unlikely  Bowie/Crosby duet it always brings back memories.  Just a shame it doesn't get more airplay.

Edited by sjp23480
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, sjp23480 said:

Speaking of David Bowie, Little Drummer Boy was my grandfather's favourite Christmas song

I quite like the version that was done a few years back by Aled Jones and the late, great Terry Wogan.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It's a much more recent film, but "The Snowman And The Snowdog" has become a must-watch for me. The real teary bit occurs in the first few minutes and it gets better and better from then on!

My Christmas playlists and the Jethro Tull Christmas Album also get selected on the Ipod for most of December, the usual suspects are all there.

Edited by Colin
Forgot a line!
  • Like 4

My wife loves The Snowman and The Snowman and Snowdog. As do our now teenage boys. Its kept me in presents for her for nigh on 20 years. 

Must admit the Snowdog brings a tear to my eye.

I bought her the Snowmans scarf a few years ago and its slightly different to David Bowie's

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

It’s got to be the Albert Finney version of a Christmas carol more a musical really but I remember my mum watching it all those years ago when I was a kid and it always stirs memories and feelings when I watch it. Have it on dvd and it’s a must see every year,

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Markwj said:

It’s got to be the Albert Finney version of a Christmas carol more a musical really but I remember my mum watching it all those years ago when I was a kid and it always stirs memories and feelings when I watch it. Have it on dvd and it’s a must see every year,

I usually watch A Christmas Carol - the version where Scrooge is played by Patrick Stewart. The DVD was a freebie with a newspaper some years ago, not sure when it first came out.

• Like 3

I read "A Christmas Carol" (the mental pictures are much better) each Christmas.  This year I spread it out from the 21st, reading a Stave* each evening, and finished off the last Stave this morning!

I've also got into the habit of reading Terry Pratchetts "Hogfather" earlier in the month too...

* Each chapter is called a Stave.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have a CD of Dylan Thomas reading his own work " A Childs Christmas in Wales" thats a must on every Christmas Day as I lived for quite some time a few streets away from where it all would have happened and I remember the house where they sang the carol.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Another hideous tradition has revisited the house today. This tat was given as a 'gift' some years ago and just will not flush. It's survived a house move, going in the bin numerous times and even sent to other addresses. Still it persists.

IMG_20201225_135026~2.jpg

Be very careful if we have your address.

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

19 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

A single candle lit in the window on Christmas Eve.  It's there right now.

Wishing everyone a peaceful Christmas and a better 2021.

In our family there is a belief that this is an Irish tradition which my mother upheld every Christmas until her death. The idea is that if Mary (on a donkey) and Joseph should pass by they will see a welcome.

Dave

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Danemouth said:

In our family there is a belief that this is an Irish tradition which my mother upheld every Christmas until her death. The idea is that if Mary (on a donkey) and Joseph should pass by they will see a welcome.

Dave

Yes that is correct Dave.  My wife, who passed away back in June after a long struggle with MND, was Irish and the tradition of the candle goes back generations.

I am determined to keep it going not only because of the tradition, but in her memory. 

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

In the 1920s my grandfather had one of the first radio shops in Worcester. When I remember the house from the 1960s he still had a large radiogram.... I know not when it dated from. This was his favourite Christmas song which will always take me back to those days of innocence ... Christmas dinner followed by presents then a card school with as many of the family as could be there .... up to 20 perhaps. Newmarket and chase the ace were favourites

• Like 7

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, D-A-T said:

The dates especially bring a tear to my eye

Careful with the fork then! Never liked dates but I used to love making a Clyde Puffer or two out of the box once Dad had polished them off.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

For whatever reason I have never been a fan of Christmas, (no doubt I need to get on the psychiatrists couch!), my tradition used to be shed bashing on Christmas day in my train spotting days, no staff and depots packed full of loco's, a proper treat, it's something I always think back on at this time of year.

Mike.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

We have a tradition of a silly game played after dinner. Before the big day I usually take my mum out for a day's shopping and while out we buy a pile of knicknacks and daft things which are then wrapped and numbered and placed in a santa sack. The same numbers are placed on chocolate coins which are chosen at random from a basket. As each present is pulled from the sack and called, the person with the relevant coin claims it. This year I got a Hot wheels Ford Mustang and a pack of mini air fresheners.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Careful with the fork then! Never liked dates but I used to love making a Clyde Puffer or two out of the box once Dad had polished them off.

Today the box is plastic. Then it seemed to be a rafia like material.