Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

54 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Lol.. have they just woke up and rehashed other 'news' stories into one? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

7 hours ago, Andrew P said:

The twists, turns and febrile speculation are like a Corrie/Eastenders/Emmerdale plot mashup!  :jester:

Edited by Hroth
missed an unimportant word out...
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The twists, turns and febrile speculation are like a Corrie/Eastenders/Emmerdale plot mashup!  :jester:

But at least Corrie is believeable.......................

:D

• Funny 3

10 minutes ago, xpdualcore said:

Apparently Jenson Button has returned to Williams as a senior advisor. Maybe, just maybe, Williams have turned the corner...

Or he's seen that Alonso has a seat and he's thinking why not me in 2022.

As much as I like Jenson, his one World Championship was thanks to a team principal who made a massive leap and once they had their wings clipped it was hang on for dear life to the end of the season.  What does he actually know of the current regulations and driving requirements of an F1 car?  He will undoubtedly bring something to the team, but I think their current best driver has shown he is no slouch when given the right equipment, so it's not the drivers that need assistance at Williams, it's the design side.

• Agree 2

True, with GRs brief insight into Merc methods hopefully they can improve from their current pitiful position on the grid. Maybe some fresh ideas will bear fruit in all departments. Not convinced Alonso will do anything other than disrupt as per usual..

• Agree 2

22 hours ago, xpdualcore said:

Lol.. have they just woke up and rehashed other 'news' stories into one? 

Of course they have.

After reading the story itself & seeing it is all speculation & no fact, I was amused to see the FB comments from Hamilton haters waffling on about how it serves Hamilton right to have lost his contract & the driver being unimportant in the Merc because anyone can win in it. (Clearly they choose to ignore the race in Turkey).

The facts are:

When negotiating, drivers want to be paid as much as possible.

Teams want to pay drivers as little as possible.

They will keep talking until both sides feel they have the best deal possible.

It is no different to the media's fuss over the EU-UK Brexit deal. The deadline for agreeing this was late December so both sides continued to push for a better deal for them until the last moment.

From Mercedes point of view: Do they really want to chance tripping up & handing either driver's or constructor's title to anyone else by taking a chance on a new driver, or would they prefer one who has proven himself by winning 6 titles in the last 7 years & already has a good relationship with the team.

From Hamilton's point of view: He has had the best car for 7 years so does not want to lose it. He will not get paid better anywhere else so if they don't agree a contract, what else is he going to do?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

As much as I like Jenson, his one World Championship was thanks to a team principal who made a massive leap and once they had their wings clipped it was hang on for dear life to the end of the season

Brawn had no budget to improve their car throughout the season. If they had then they might have been able to stay ahead a bit longer.

I don't see how having a world champion who has won races with 3 (I think) different teams and raced in many, many GPs on board can be a bad thing for Williams. He's not going to be designing the car, but can probably offer something on the multitude of other things they do. I'm sure Russell and Latifi will be able to learn some things from him.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

What does he actually know of the current regulations and driving requirements of an F1 car? 

Well as a regular pundit I’m sure he knows quite a lot as he’s got great access to all teams to chat. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Latest from F1 app...

Stefano Domenicali has only been in the job of Formula 1 President and CEO for a handful of weeks, but the Italian is looking to make an impact early doors, as he revealed that he’d already been in discussion with new manufacturers about the possibility of joining F1, while admitting that he was also open to the idea of continuing to explore alternative race formats.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, xpdualcore said:

Latest from F1 app...

Stefano Domenicali has only been in the job of Formula 1 President and CEO for a handful of weeks, but the Italian is looking to make an impact early doors, as he revealed that he’d already been in discussion with new manufacturers about the possibility of joining F1, while admitting that he was also open to the idea of continuing to explore alternative race formats.

Ferrari are very interested in virtual F1, they believe it will help recover their deficit to Mercedes and Red Bull.

Williams have asked about rather than reverse grid that points are allocated backwards with the most going to the teams at the back.

Red bull have asked about flying cars fueled by a well known brand of soft drink.

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

While Jenson was not quite in Lewis's league (how many are), qualifying he admitted to struggling with, he was still an exceptional driver, with a an excellent junior formula track record. Also remember he went straight from F3 to F1 same as Max. All world championships require some luck and while the Brawn advantage was eroded over the season by the much better funded Red Bull team they managed to hang on, but it does not detract from the fact Jenson won a world championship. Don't forget apart from Rosberg (who promptly had to retire because he knew he could never do it again), Jenson is the only person to have outscored Lewis as a team mate. The car regs may differ slightly from when Jenson stopped but he still has considerable experience of the hybrid car era, but to an extent that is irrelevant. Prost retired 20 odd years ago but is still an advisor with Renault (Ok Alpine). The same as Prost, Jenson brings to the party, EXPERIENCE, 306 Grand Prix, 15 wins, how to win a GP in a dog car (Honda), an alternative perspective etc etc. As an aside, one of the most respected people around the motor racing world is a Kiwi called Rob Wilson how many of you have heard of him? He is known as the unsung hero of F1 and is a driver coach. He never made formula 1, but has coached an awful lot of of past and present F1 drivers over the last 30 years including Stroll and Bottas. Driver coaching has nothing to do with knowledge of the current generation of car, it is about technique, attitude and mental preparation. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, kipford said:

As an aside, one of the most respected people around the motor racing world is a Kiwi called Rob Wilson how many of you have heard of him? He is known as the unsung hero of F1 and is a driver coach. He never made formula 1, but has coached an awful lot of of past and present F1 drivers over the last 30 years including Stroll and Bottas. Driver coaching has nothing to do with knowledge of the current generation of car, it is about technique, attitude and mental preparation. 

I must admit that I have not heard of him but I agree that he could still be the best coach.

A top player does not make a top coach & a good coach can be less physically able. Roger Federer, Tiger Woods, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Stephen Hendry & Steve Davis have been or are coached by others even while they have been at the top of their sport.

Lewis Hamilton always respected Niki Lauda's advice.

Those who watch F1 on Sky will know that Anthony Davidson has a great eye for detail, noticing things missed by others who were more successful in F1.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I must admit that I have not heard of him but I agree that he could still be the best coach.

A top player does not make a top coach & a good coach can be less physically able.

In much the same way that many football managers were good, but not stand-out, players.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, xpdualcore said:

Perez comes out fighting and vows to "overdeliver"...

"If Red Bull have a car that can win the championship, I'll make sure we win it," vows Perez

Mmm... Max will not be a happy bunny, then... :lol:

(Or is the use of the word "we" in his quote showing he's only after the Constructors title?! ;) )

• Funny 3

9 hours ago, newbryford said:

In much the same way that many football managers were good, but not stand-out, players.

Or the same way that many of the best/most loved commentators either weren't amongst the greats in their sports or never competed at a top level:

Murray Walker never competed in motorsport (or any other sport for that matter)

Martin Brundle for a long time held the record for the most F1 races without either a pole or a win.

DC never won a World Championship.

Ben Edwards never competed in F1.

In other sports:

Brian Johnston, Henry Blofeld, John Arlott and Jim Swanton never played professional cricket.

John Motson & Kenneth Wolstenholme never played professional football.

Harry Carpenter never boxed.

Ted Lowe never competed as a professional snooker player.

Whilst knowledge is important, in coaching, managing or commentating, communication is even more important.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Murray Walker never competed in motorsport (or any other sport for that matter)

Not quite so . From Wiki ,

Following the war, Walker briefly followed in his father's footsteps by taking up motorcycle racing, competing against, among others, a young John Surtees. After limited success, he switched to competing in motorcycle trials, where he made a greater mark, including taking a gold at the International Six Days Trial and winning a first-class award at the Scottish Six Days Trial.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2