Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

Personally it feels like the decisions made by Masi were done for the show. It would never have happened like that under Charlie, he would have decided how he was going to restart and stuck to it. Not changed his mind suddenly just to appease Horner.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

I thought given all the hype I’d watch this, um, race (look up the definition of race, whatever happened today it was not that) to see if it would change my negative mindset towards F1. Well, it certainly changed it, absolutely reinforced my utter disdain for it.
Confusing, farcical, complete lack of sportsmanship, etc., etc. Indeed to call it sport is perhaps the biggest misnomer surrounding it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EddieB said:

Why not throw a red flag?  That way both cars could start on similar tyres, whilst FOLLOWING THE RULES.

Race would've finished anway on percentage of lap completion.

Unless that rule has been changed? - it's been a while since I was involved.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, 37114 said:

Oh my.... what a joke. Seriously considering never watching an F1 race ever again. 

Oh people will because they will hope there’s payback. 
Either option was going to be a mess, leaving Max trapped five cars back or the even bigger one that they did. The only ‘fair’ way would have been if Lewis had pitted and left them that close as he’d got into the lead. 
Very daft and ruined by the FIA, I doubt even Max will think that was the best way to be crowned. 

1 minute ago, Crisis Rail said:

Stapps post race interview seems subdued.....

Yep he knows it was a poor reflection on the season. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Oh my.... what a joke. Seriously considering never watching an F1 race ever again. 

I'm glad I haven't directly paid to see that.

MV would have done his trademark lunge no matter which tyres Lewis was on. Bit of a shame that it had to go down to the last lap after 20 odd races, but that's the racing gods (and Masi) for you..

• RMweb Premium

Probably the right decision but flip flopping by Masi does the sport no favours.

Played out him giving sarcastic response to Toto on the radio making appeals not dissimilar to ones from red bull. Not professional at all.

• RMweb Gold

At least it's clear where F1 now stands. Spectacle over sport every time. Rule book? What rule book?

Have retuned to Quest to watch a sport in which gentlemen will admit to their own rule infractions even if nobody else sees them. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

Race would've finished anway on percentage of lap completion.

Unless that rule has been changed? - it's been a while since I was involved.

Baku 2021.  Red flagged and restarted with two laps left to go.

• Like 1

I do feel like Safety Car restarts have become more and more of a farce recently. They always seem so rushed, suddenly springing that it's coming in at the latest moment and then not turning the lights on the SC off until as late as possible either.

To be honest, whilst it's nice to have the insight into the communications between Race control and the teams I kind of think we'd have been better without them here. It feels like the Team Principals are both playing to it as they know that those messages will be played out now.

It was very good to see Lewis, pretty much, going straight to congratulate Max. He also was very composed in his interview.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Wondering now if Liberty leant on Masi for that ending, "Give us show, we' love the razzamataz, y'all have a good time y'hear. Yippekaya m**f**s!". There was only ever one way that race could end once that ridiculous decision was made.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4