The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

So rules are just a suggestion then. FIA couldn't admit they got it wrong. A dark day for F1.

At the end of the day, the real loser is the FIA/F1.

• Agree 10

Well if that’s finally that, it’s been a great season, lots of spice. Our man didn’t win but how excited are we all going to be to see 2 Brits climb into the Mercs in March to take the fight back to Max.

who knows, it could be a 3 or 4 way fight next year though Max & Lewis have simply been on another level all year and it’s up to the others to rise to fight them

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Let’s be honest, because of the way the safety car and restart were handled, it would be a hollow victory for whoever was given it.  Lewis deserved the win today, but on the track rather than through shouting at the stewards.

Lewis has emerged from this debacle with dignity.  Masi and F1 have not.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

The only way this mess can begin to get cleaned up, is for Masi to be fired.

The FIA then must look at its rulebook and leave it beyond any doubt or random interpretation by anybody. 

Nonsense like this brings F1 into disrepute; the pinnacle of motor-sport must be exactly that - the pinnacle. It must not become a sick, insipid joke!

• Like 2
  • Agree 12

They often penalise drivers and teams for bringing the sport into disrepute and that's exactly what Masi has done here.

On the BBC's live reporting page they've just asked for people to 'vote' for if they think the decision was correct or not by using the 'thumb up' or 'down' buttons. The 'thumbs down' are well in the lead at the moment!

• Like 3

No-one saw this coming, here we were looking at Verstappen to take Hamilton out and there be a massive hoo-haw about docking points and then the FIA go and do this instead.

And it completely takes the sting out of any complaints against RB because whilst Verstappen benefitted massively he was just in the right place at the right time when the FIA unleashed their end game.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

No-one saw this coming, here we were looking at Verstappen to take Hamilton out and there be a massive hoo-haw about docking points and then the FIA go and do this instead.

And it completely takes the sting out of any complaints against RB because whilst Verstappen benefitted massively he was just in the right place at the right time when the FIA unleashed their end game.

Ah but did the FIA bend to RB’s pressure and engineer the end game? That’s really where the complaints are…

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Much as I don't like the outcome, I think Mercedes should do the graceful thing, take it on the chin and move on. I doubt Lewis would want it decided in the courtroom (I could be wrong, but he's always talked about winning on the track) and it lowers them to RBs level.

One of the outcomes of all this will be MV feeling empowered about his overly aggressive driving style and his self-entitlement will be through the roof.

• Agree 12

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

He wasn't "just" in the right place at the right time, it was artificially engineered for him to be there by ignoring the rulebook on safety car restarts because they wanted the spectacle of a 1 lap decider.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 1

8 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Much as I don't like the outcome, I think Mercedes should do the graceful thing, take it on the chin and move on. I doubt Lewis would want it decided in the courtroom (I could be wrong, but he's always talked about winning on the track) and it lowers them to RBs level.

One of the outcomes of all this will be MV feeling empowered about his overly aggressive driving style and his self-entitlement will be through the roof.

You’d normally want to see him driving a lame duck next season but that would deprive us of the racing.

MV shouldn’t be champion based on 57 of todays laps but I agree, the result should now stand as to win in 3 months in a court room in Switzerland seems wrong. By all means challenge FIA over the rules & implementation but let the result stand. Ham still has the fire to fight back and hopefully George will be a better wingman than the lacklustre Bottas.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Massi needs to go. Absolute joke. Allowing RB to bargain in the last race was disgraceful. RB and MV have been allowed to get away with all sorts of bad behaviour this year. The constant whinging and finger pointing has been unbelievable. Let's not forget RB had an illegal wing at the start of the year, but had "time" to replace it. It should have been there and then.

The rules on a restart are black and white. Yet it seems the FIA can make it up as they go. No other sport has this kind of woolly rules or governing body that can change the outcome of an event on a whim. Total let down for the fans.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

I think the appeal now shouldn't be about the race result, what's happened on the track is what happened and the stewards have made their decision (rightly or wrongly).

What it should be about now is whether the decision made by the race director unduly influenced the race result, and whether that decision was influenced by any other parties.....

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 2
  • Agree 7

1 minute ago, Geep7 said:

I think the appeal now shouldn't be about the race result, what's happened on the track is what happened and the stewards have made their decision (rightly or wrongly).

What it should be about now is whether the decision made by the race director unduly influenced the race result.

Or has the decisions taken by the Race Director brought the sport into disrepute? 

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

Or has the decisions taken by the Race Director brought the sport into disrepute? 

Exactly, that as well....

I said it when Max pitted for the hards, if he manages to catch and pass Lewis, then fair play to Max. If all the lapped cars had been allowed to pass, and then Max caught and passed Lewis, then I'd have been unhappy, but it would have been a correct result, or if the lapped cars had been left and Max had won, I'd be happy.

The fact the race director decided to make his own interpretation of the rules on the most important decision of the season it what the problem is.

Edited by Geep7
Correction of Max's tire change
  • Agree 5