The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Perhaps he does'nt realise there are no other cars for him to drive, and after Russell showed him and Bottas up as well . Living in Cloud Cuckoo land as usual.

Do Daimler really need him anymore?? , especially at that price.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Certainly showed Bottas for what he is, a number two driver. As for Lewis? No I don't think so, Lewis has shown himself to be a driver able to read the race well, and make his own calls on pit stops, I feel he may not have got himself caught like George did. What it did show was how good George is, though, and that was the main thing. One race cannot realistically tell us all we need to know. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, micklner said:

Perhaps he does'nt realise there are no other cars for him to drive, and after Russell showed him and Bottas up as well . Living in Cloud Cuckoo land as usual.

Lewis knows exactly what Mercedes gets in publicity out of him. Like Vettel moving to Aston Martin what might seem illogical to us makes sense to those moving the big money around. 
Remember this could be a bargaining tactic to get more support for his commission and subsequent driver and technician projects. 
Lewis has shown in previous seasons that he can make the car a winner even on its bad days when Ferrari had the turbo button ;)  Daimler want their brand to win every time and Lewis is a solid extra part of making up for any car problems. George looks like he might be there too but as his crash under the safety car he’s still learning and working on the consistency. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, micklner said:

I am less than convinced by that report.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Slow news season in F1, so any snippet gets magnified. Mark Webber has a view. https://www.pitpass.com/68956/Timing-of-Russells-Mercedes-debut-horrible-for-Hamiltons-contract-talks

The last line a interesting remark .

"Indeed, we hear that Hamilton's belief that he is "box office" goes far, far beyond the Mercedes team."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, micklner said:

Perhaps he doesn't realise there are no other cars for him to drive, and after Russell showed him and Bottas up as well . Living in Cloud Cuckoo land as usual.

Nobody takes the first offer in negotiations, whether buying a house, a car, buying/selling football players or buying something from a market in Egypt.

Both sides want to get the best deal for themselves & that is rarely the first offer made.

The EU-UK Brexit trade deal dragged on for well over a year. It was never going to be settled quickly because if it had been, 1 party would (quite rightly) have been panned for accepting something worse than what they should have held out for

If Hamilton had offered to drive for £1m a year, Daimler would probably have rejected that & tried to knock him down to 800k.

How could Russell have showed him up in Bahrain? He wasn't there & we don't know what he would have done. The pit stop strategy let Russell down but Hamilton is frequently on the radio discussing strategy while he is driving.

In Abu Dhabi 2019 he kept the team working on alternate strategies in case a safety car was deployed. Not many drivers have the experience & confidence to do this.

In Turkey 2020, he turned a bad weekend into a win.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I am not really surprised by this, but for a different reason:

In 2020, F1 developed its own isolation bubble to keep out Covid. The fact that Perez, Stroll & Hamilton all missed races showed it in action. 2020 was all at proper circuits though.

Would this be more difficult at a street circuit?

Since Bahrain is the 2nd GP, could we see it used twice with different configurations like last year to replace Australia?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Nobody takes the first offer in negotiations, whether buying a house, a car, buying/selling football players or buying something from a market in Egypt.

Both sides want to get the best deal for themselves & that is rarely the first offer made.

The EU-UK Brexit trade deal dragged on for well over a year. It was never going to be settled quickly because if it had been, 1 party would (quite rightly) have been panned for accepting something worse than what they should have held out for

If Hamilton had offered to drive for £1m a year, Daimler would probably have rejected that & tried to knock him down to 800k.

How could Russell have showed him up in Bahrain? He wasn't there & we don't know what he would have done. The pit stop strategy let Russell down but Hamilton is frequently on the radio discussing strategy while he is driving.

In Abu Dhabi 2019 he kept the team working on alternate strategies in case a safety car was deployed. Not many drivers have the experience & confidence to do this.

In Turkey 2020, he turned a bad weekend into a win.

No one said Russell showed him up in Bahrain.

What it does show however and prove is Formula One is 95 or more percent the car, and the small remainder the driver.  Very strange that Mercedes suddenly lost the plot  mid race and made a total cock up of a pit stop, that was'nt needed either. Perhaps someone was on the phone at the time .

Put Hamilton or any other Top driver in a Williams or any other bottom end F1 car and where would they be then?.  The same applies to all forms of motorsport or any machine related sport, without the best car or whatever it maybe being used/raced no one is going far in any race without a huge amount of luck or a freak result being involved e.g Monza 2020.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, micklner said:

Put Hamilton or any other Top driver in a Williams or any other bottom end F1 car and where would they be then?

We already knew Russell was a bit special, because he has consistently dragged the Williams further up the grid than it seems to deserve. I recall a race in which Schumacher was stuck in an intermediate gear, but worked around it to score points. The greats make the most of what they are given.

In another sport, Tony McCoy (now Sir Anthony) was champion jump jockey 20 consecutive times. People said if the horse wasn't performing he'd pick it up and carry it past the post. Skill and determination succeed like no other combo. The greats in our sport have that. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

12 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

We already knew Russell was a bit special, because he has consistently dragged the Williams further up the grid than it seems to deserve. I recall a race in which Schumacher was stuck in an intermediate gear, but worked around it to score points. The greats make the most of what they are 

Didn't Moss get a stone lodged in the gear linkage once and have to do similar before it dislodged itself?

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, micklner said:

No one said Russell showed him up in Bahrain.

What it does show however and prove is Formula One is 95 or more percent the car, and the small remainder the driver. 

If that is, indeed, the case, then why is Bottas, who is no slouch, so far behind Hamilton?

What 2020 has shown, probably more than any other recent season, given the differential between the Merc and the RB's and to some extent the others, has narrowed, is that strategy, mid-race tactics and an ability to nurse a car in trouble, are just as great qualities for a Champion. The Merc is not even the fastest in a straight line, far from it. So I am not sure I share your view.

• Like 4
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

The whole point is that the best drivers can get the best out of the machinery. In Turkey where power was a handicap like it is in rain Lewis managed to drive it to the front while Valterri and Max both had spins. To say the car is 95% is a little off as it would suggest a much bigger gap and that a ham fisted one of us could drive to within a 5% margin of their times. As many motoring journalists have proved that just isn’t the case ;)

Rain and surfaces like Turkey show the ultimate car control and it’s the same few who shine in any conditions. Even when Lewis has a bad start he keeps trying new things to get back what he can. 
Ultimately those who don’t like Lewis will argue it’s the car as there’s no way of proving otherwise. It’s been pointed out many times in here that the best drivers gravitate to the best cars and you could argue that several world champions of the last 30 yrs got there because of the car but like any team sport it relies on the whole team performing so ultimately that’s part of the point. Lewis has been consistently a no brainer choice for MB and Niki Lauda was instrumental in that choice while his teammates have come and gone. It’s telling that MB are looking at his age and expecting that to be an issue so don’t want a long contract. When he’s defied the expected before on lifestyle and racing mix, arguably giving more freedom to other drivers in his wake, it remains to be seen if he can maintain the same level into his 40’s. 
The best judges are the ex F1 driver pundits and as DC, Mark W, Karun & Jenson all rate him I’m inclined to trust their judgement ;) 

• Like 11

That old chestnut... I don't know the ratio between car and driver, but a bad driver in a great car is going to do nothing, and a great driver in a bad car is also going to do nothing.

You need both parts to be top notch to win races and titles. The margin between a 2020 Merc and Williams might be a yawning gulf in F1 terms, but going on lap times it's no more than a couple of percent.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

You need both parts to be top notch to win races and titles. The margin between a 2020 Merc and Williams might be a yawning gulf in F1 terms, but going on lap times it's no more than a couple of percent.

Totally agree and it has been same most of time since motor racing was first conceived and in all formulas. In the hey day of formula ford you needed the best car, an engine nicknamed patch and an outstanding driver. By the way by my reckoning the difference in performance between the front and rear of the F1 grid is around 3%. 

• Like 1

On 01/01/2021 at 07:24, Ashcombe said:

He has matured over the years into a very likeable young man

This may be controversial but, much as I admire him as a driver, as a person, I think he's gone from being a very likeable young man to maturing in to a bit of a kn*b...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

We already knew Russell was a bit special, because he has consistently dragged the Williams further up the grid than it seems to deserve. I recall a race in which Schumacher was stuck in an intermediate gear, but worked around it to score points. The greats make the most of what they are given.

I remember Ayrton Senna getting stuck in sixth gear, but still winning the race - and barely able to stand up at the end of it!

Far from wishing to down-play George having a win taken from him, but all we can really determine is that he out-raced Valtteri.  Max conveniently took himself off early on, and may have had a better tyre strategy than the Mercedes duo - thereby depriving us of a comparison with George in full race trim.  Let’s not forget that George beat his rivals Lando and Alex in F2 where the cars are much closer together.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, johndon said:

This may be controversial but, much as I admire him as a driver, as a person, I think he's gone from being a very likeable young man to maturing in to a bit of a kn*b...

Let's just say he's a bit of a "marmite" character, I like him as a driver but I tend to cringe at some of his antics off track, I suppose most of us don't like being lectured to and that's certainly what he's been doing when it comes to BLM. Having said that most world champs have been similar, though often it was their on-track antics that annoyed!

• Like 2
  • Agree 4