Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bog Hall Junction (Whitby)

Thrutch Tunnel (Rawtenstall)

Throstle Nest Jcn (Fallowfield Manchester)

Boars Head Jcn (Wigan)

Winwick Jcn (Warrington)

Sheet Stores Jcn (Derby)

Stank Branch (Barrow in Furness)

There was a Sod Hall Jcn near Clegg Lane Farnworth (Colliery Railway from Walkden)

Bag Lane (Atherton)

Knob End (Little Lever Bolton) - Any Knob Enders here ??

Chowbent (Atherton) & Chequerbent (Westhoughton) - Separate but nearby locations, both had stations on LNWR

Whelley (LUR / LNW Wigan avoiding line)

Strangeways Junctions (Hindley, Wigan)

OA&GB Junction (Oldham Ashton & Guide Bridge Jcn, Manchester)

Sough Tunnel (Darwen)

No doubt many, many more. Many still exist, railway wise, but very few have stations or signalboxes, etc, no identity these days.

Brit15

Durranhill sidings - now an old Council tip & close to the site of an early railway murder .

Howe & Co sidings - still has a working signal box & where the Royal train has been parked up for the night in the past .

Long Meg sidings - i think an old signal box remains here .

Stainmore Summit

Belah Viaduct

Bleath Gill - of BTF snowdrift fame

Stewart .

• RMweb Gold

Chaddesden Sdgs

i have mixed feelings about that place, both happy and sad times!!

i like:

kenyon cutting (hard to imagine there used to be a junction station there, on the chat moss line)

bessie gill (named after a murdered prostitute i believe?)

slitting mill crossing

decoy sidings

atlantic dock jn (imagining just what and who used to go across it heading to the ships in liverpool for a new life!!)

buttington jn (where the mileage change occurs on the cambrian, cambrian railways miles from whitchurch start and end there and gwr? miles to and from shrewsbury are picked up)

moat house jn

wenlock edge

lightmoor jn (the mileage on the line changes near there, there are 2 X 161 mileposts about 1/2 mile apart, one is miles from london via wolves and snow hill etc, the other is miles from london via hereford)

buildwas jn (down the road from lightmoor, just a dead end now but used to be a 4 way Jn to shrewsbury, craven arms, bridgnorth and oakengates)

• RMweb Premium

On my patch we have in South London the grandly named 'Atlantic Lines' near Battersea (indeed a message came over the Company Blackberry this very morning that an ECS was being routed via 'the atlantics'.

Near Pulborough we have the evocatively named Codmore Hill Substation, it has a little green sign on it and everything but is in fact just a bog standard Southern Electric 1930's substation literally in the middle of nowhere.

Gowhole sidings - always summoned up images of potholing for me.

Neath Court Sart - an evocative name for a once great shed.

Polmadie - unknown to the man in the street, a "suburb" of Glasgow but once famous for it's locomotive allocation. Eg all up and down the WCML (at least south of Carlisle) - "Semi! I hope it's a Polmadie one". Evocative name to me at least!

Cambois - picture a French rural town but you would be so wrong....

Some places had some very evocative smells.

Warrington Bank Quay, Crosfield soap works. still there.

Harlesden, especially early mornings, McVities, Guinness, Heinz.

Widnes,always a good selection of chemicals.

Crewe South shed messroom in the 1960's, always somebody cooking,with a touch of smoke,from the cooking and the shed.

Choose your own fuelling point, diesel !

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

Near Pulborough we have the evocatively named Codmore Hill Substation, it has a little green sign on it and everything but is in fact just a bog standard Southern Electric 1930's substation literally in the middle of nowhere.

I always though Codmore Hill Substation would be a great name for an early '70s rock band!

Guest stuartp

Howe & Co sidings - still has a working signal box & where the Royal train has been parked up for the night in the past .

Don't I know it. "And where exactly do you think I'm going to find 25 copies of the Sporting Life at 4am in Carlisle ?"

Back on topic - Quintinshill.

• RMweb Premium

From Lincolnshire:

Gunhouse Junction

Pyewipe Junction

Bellwater Junction

Cuckoo Junction

Dogdyke

Maud Foster

I've hardly ever been to Lincolnshire, but I've always been charmed by the name Tumby Woodside.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

A few from me:

Halwill Junction (lines to Padstow, Bude, Torrington and Okehampton - now sadly just a housing estate)

Exmouth Junction (the shed)

Boscarne Junction (clay and Beattie Well Tanks)

Meldon (Quarry, Viaduct and Jct)

A gem for the ladies, - Just a mile from my house was 'Dymonds Siding' near Heckmondwike, now a footpath (The Spen Valley Greenway)

Other evocative names that come to mind : - Cadishead,

Teviot Dale

Monsal Dale

Springs Branch

Riddings Junction.

• RMweb Premium

thornton junction, already mentioned, was a gateway to fife, a real interchange of main-line, branch-line and industrial traffic - i can imagine (don't know if it was ever thus) a cry of 'change at thornton junction for.....'

kinnaber junction - famous from the 'races to the north', the wee man in the box had the final say on who got to aberdeen first, was still well known until the brechin line was finally closed in the 80s

On your side of The Pond:

Cumbria

Evercreech Junction

Dent

Firth of Forth

Ribblehead

And on my side:

Stampede Pass

Chama and Durango (Right with you, Pete!)

Olympic Branch

Wishram

Home Valley

SP&S Junction

St. Paul Pass

Wasn't Garsdale Road more likely to have been featured in Railway Modeller than Railway World?

Possibly rolleyes.gif . However there a quite a few Garsdale Roads dotted around the place and it is nice and northernly evocative.

How about:

Rose Grove - a misnomer if ever there was one if you've ever been there (I'm sure someone must grow roses there though).

Bay Horse

Boars Head

Mallerstang

Long Meg

Heath

Trent

(Edit - Sorry if these are duplicated, I missed page 2!!)

On a shed bashing trip round the North East we came across a 'Chemical Works Road' and a 'Factory Lane'.

Archived