Ilfracombe

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Premium

What is misleading is that the seller advertises that Paypal and numerous credit cards will be accepted but states in his text that only cash or cleared cheque will be accepted. One post above has confirmed that the seller is declining Paypal. With claims to be accurate in every detail from researched texts being at best dubious and the limitations of payment method available it may be a case of fools rushing in where angels fear to tread.

So far only two bids have been recorded and the top one is, frankly, derisory. What ever the claim for accuracy this is a substantial layout and any serious bid deserves to respect that much.

• RMweb Gold

I understand the point that compromises have to be made when designing a layout - however my point is that there seesm to be EXTRA trackwork when compared to the original location.

In my opinion thats sufficient that this isnt a model of Ilfracombe.

In my opinion that's sufficient that this isn't a model of Ilfracombe.

I note the seller uses quotes around the name - that to me suggests that it is not exact in every minute detail - but then just how many layouts are?

I've seen many exhibition layouts with the odd bit of extra track here and there just to make life a little more interesting, along with building that are not exact replicas of the originals at the location in the period claimed to be modelled.

I still can't help thinking we are all being a little too critical of the layout. It is worth something - it is just a question of how much and to whom?

I feel a bit sorry for the guy - who may be a member of RMWeb - seeing his hard work panned in such a way ... he is entitled to sell it at a reasonable price just like anyone - he can hardly fool them by its value as they will be paying cash on collection.

• RMweb Gold

I can't see anyone panning the work - just the claims "to be accurate in every detail" - if that was changed to "heavily based on" *I* then wouldn't have a problem with it.

• RMweb Gold

I can't see anyone panning the work - just the claims "to be accurate in every detail" - if that was changed to "heavily based on" *I* then wouldn't have a problem with it.

I think 'loosely based' would be more appropriate. Theres an entire new line coming into the station from behind the turntable.

• RMweb Premium

He has changed the listing to accept Pay Pal following exchange of messages.

Yes and no. The listing still contains this text "Payment is by cash on collection or cleared personal cheque only and layout must be collected in person due to size."

The Paypal and credit card logos appear in the listing by default; I believe it it not possible to remove them as Paypal at least is required in most cases by eBay.

I have a problem with the description "accurate in every detail" when Code 100 F/B rail and sleepers based on North American, not British, dimensions have been used. Not knocking the man's work, just the choice of phrasing.

I have a problem with the description "accurate in every detail" when Code 100 F/B rail and sleepers based on North American, not British, dimensions have been used. Not knocking the man's work, just the choice of phrasing.

Oh :( why not have a moan that it can't possibly be "accurate in every detail" because it isn't P4, or the colour of the ballast used is not correct for that period modelled or that man standing on the platform should have had a hat on.

Sometimes people can be so over critical. This guys hard work HAS at least been exhibited so it has passed approval of at least one expo manager.

Perhaps "accurate in every detail" is inviting the critics to pounce on it to find some trivial fault. But I still don't think it is going to fool anyone. Any buyer can see it for themselves and make their own mind up if it is worth scrap value or prize space in their attic.

Sometimes people can be so over critical.
Perhaps "accurate in every detail" is inviting the critics to pounce on it to find some trivial fault.

Well, i'd agree it's somewhat setting yourself up - but whether somebody is being just critical or being over critical is obviously a matter of opinion*.

Critical comments aside the layout looks reasonably passable to me, possibly just a bit over-egged in the description? I'd suspect he's not likely to get four figures for it though unless somebody happens along who's exact interpretation of what they want is exactly what he's made - irrespective of the quality of modelling selling a layout and getting a large sum for it isn't easy.

(*it was the old plastic Hornby signal box that did it for me, unless of course i'm wrong and Hornby modelled that accurately on the one at Ilfracombe...) wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Well it got up to £510.00 but did not sell ,maybe if he had put up some more photo he may have sold it.

Or had been a little more realistic with the reserve.

I guess it is either a re-listing or a visit to the local landfill.

Landfill would be a bit silly if he can get £500 cash....doubt you would recover £500 worth of usable kit from it.

Agree, but he missed his chance by putting such a high reserve on it - the same chance may not come around again with re-listing (unless he takes the advice and makes the listing more appealing)

Archived