Short HYA, by Accurascale

• RMweb Premium
On 14/11/2022 at 22:09, newbryford said:

I have posted this elsewhere.

They should be making their public debut at the NEC on Deadmans Lane.

And the other side.

There is a "special" one in there for Fran and the A/S team.

The set was well received and ran very well at the NEC but seemed to get "heavier" as the weekend went on, with the loco beginning to struggle on the hump at one end of Deadmans Lane as Sunday passed.

I will give them a check over in the next day or so to see if anything has changed about them.

BTW - the "special" one started out as a full length 3-bay hopper that was cut down (as per my HTA-HRA conversion) to a 2-bay as a result of a conversation between Fran and myself.

(I will post pics in the next couple of weeks.)

Fran was invited to spot it whilst the rake passed...........................

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, newbryford said:

The set was well received and ran very well at the NEC but seemed to get "heavier" as the weekend went on, with the loco beginning to struggle on the hump at one end of Deadmans Lane as Sunday passed.

I will give them a check over in the next day or so to see if anything has changed about them.

BTW - the "special" one started out as a full length 3-bay hopper that was cut down (as per my HTA-HRA conversion) to a 2-bay as a result of a conversation between Fran and myself.

(I will post pics in the next couple of weeks.)

Fran was invited to spot it whilst the rake passed...........................

They and your Layout are very impresive,was a pleasure to watch on Sunday afternoon,i would guess Warley was a good weekend for you and your team of operators.

• RMweb Premium
Just now, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

They and your Layout are very impresive,was a pleasure to watch on Sunday afternoon,i would guess Warley was a good weekend for you and your team of operators.

It was - the barrier at the front of the layout was pretty much full all weekend. Hard work, but good fun.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Can anyone confirm whether the short HYAs have the same underframe issue as has been reported for the longer versions, which results in drag when negotiating curves? I’d like to get some of the short wagons which are still available but don’t fancy having to take a scalpel blade to new wagons. Thanks in advance for any info.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, scouse889 said:

Can anyone confirm whether the short HYAs have the same underframe issue as has been reported for the longer versions, which results in drag when negotiating curves? I’d like to get some of the short wagons which are still available but don’t fancy having to take a scalpel blade to new wagons. Thanks in advance for any info.

I had a couple that had a bit more drag than others on sharper curves - it looks like a part of the door gear that isn't fully fitted catching the flange.

But - it only affects one bogie in one curvature as the two sets of door gear are on opposite sides.

For the full length wagon, both bogies can be affected on a curve in one direction, but not at all when curving the other way (both outer doors have the door gear on the same side). 

TBH, the mod is 15 seconds with a blade and is not at all visible. 

However, I found that the biggest drag is created by the pinpoint areas of the bogie moulding not being fully "clean". Whilst the axles were taken out for weathering, I took the opportunity to run a bearing reamer in each position - I was quite surprised by the amount of what seemed like flash that came out of a couple of them. I do need to take another look at them, as they do seem to have got "heavier" after a couple of shows.

Might try and do this in the next couple of weeks before the Macclesfield exhibiotion.

Edited by newbryford
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 11/03/2023 at 22:21, newbryford said:

I had a couple that had a bit more drag than others on sharper curves - it looks like a part of the door gear that isn't fully fitted catching the flange.

But - it only affects one bogie in one curvature as the two sets of door gear are on opposite sides.

For the full length wagon, both bogies can be affected on a curve in one direction, but not at all when curving the other way (both outer doors have the door gear on the same side). 

TBH, the mod is 15 seconds with a blade and is not at all visible. 

However, I found that the biggest drag is created by the pinpoint areas of the bogie moulding not being fully "clean". Whilst the axles were taken out for weathering, I took the opportunity to run a bearing reamer in each position - I was quite surprised by the amount of what seemed like flash that came out of a couple of them. I do need to take another look at them, as they do seem to have got "heavier" after a couple of shows.

Might try and do this in the next couple of weeks before the Macclesfield exhibiotion.

The next run of these should have there rotating axle ends,might be possible to ream the molding out and use the IRM bogies to gain caps or if they have spare ones off the new FNA-D wagons,just a thought.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

The next run of these should have there rotating axle ends,might be possible to ream the molding out and use the IRM bogies to gain caps or if they have spare ones off the new FNA-D wagons,just a thought.

I'd be interested to see how a rotating axle end - on a model wagon - could be made as free running as a pinpoint end.

It is probably Ok for a typical FNA train of 1-4 , excepting the 8/10 one off runs, but how would 20 plus HYA wagons be for drag without pinpoints? 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, newbryford said:

I'd be interested to see how a rotating axle end - on a model wagon - could be made as free running as a pinpoint end.

It is probably Ok for a typical FNA train of 1-4 , excepting the 8/10 one off runs, but how would 20 plus HYA wagons be for drag without pinpoints? 

To be fair to Accurascale their parent company Irish Railway Models had an issue with drag on their 42’ bogie wagon range with rotating axle boxes, but they subsequently re-designed the bogie and all the latest releases are very free rolling. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, newbryford said:

The cheapest way to see and possibly convert a bogie is

https://www.accurascale.com/collections/irm-accessories/products/y33-sambre-et-meuse-bogie-pack-black

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, matthewchallenger said:

Repainted one of my wagons into on of the blue VTG wagons, the blue not accurate I just used a tamiya blue. 

Transfers from @Steadfastmodels. 

20231109_133544.jpg.4452ebe1c61aa0b1577fb71c4c343a1e.jpg20231109_133525.jpg.f388c289b761e5956242614de65edc12.jpg

There's a blue one or two running near me that is crying out for "my" tag... Just need to get a good pic of them.

(I do have a full length HYA that is to undergo a similar HTA-HRA conversion - save me buying another shorty!)

There are two in this rake - wagons 2 and 9. (flickr pic)

GBRf Class 66 No 66703 'Doncaster PSB' is seen approaching Ribblehead Station on 19.1.23 with 6M38 1125 Arcow Quarry Gbrf to Bredbury Tilcon Gbrf loaded stone hoppers

Edited by newbryford
Flickr pic added
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2023 at 22:42, newbryford said:

There's a blue one or two running near me that is crying out for "my" tag... Just need to get a good pic of them.

(I do have a full length HYA that is to undergo a similar HTA-HRA conversion - save me buying another shorty!)

There are two in this rake - wagons 2 and 9. (flickr pic)

GBRf Class 66 No 66703 'Doncaster PSB' is seen approaching Ribblehead Station on 19.1.23 with 6M38 1125 Arcow Quarry Gbrf to Bredbury Tilcon Gbrf loaded stone hoppers

I look forward to seeing them

I have two more that went into blue last night and these examples I intend to add some graffiti to. 

I recently completed this HYA that I realised later should be a blue example but at the time my only reference picture was hard to tell if base was blue or silver 

20231125_120810.jpg.05a197108df08ebeb0bafac56b428c2e.jpg

• Like 6

On 12/11/2023 at 19:15, matthewchallenger said:

Repainted one of my wagons into on of the blue VTG wagons, the blue not accurate I just used a tamiya blue. 

Transfers from @Steadfastmodels. 

20231109_133544.jpg.4452ebe1c61aa0b1577fb71c4c343a1e.jpg20231109_133525.jpg.f388c289b761e5956242614de65edc12.jpg

Thanks for posting these photos Matthew, you've done a great job on those.

For anyone interested in these VTG blue wagons, give me a shout as I've done a pack to repaint up to 6 wagons. It's not yet online as it started as a commission. Everything is included except the red and white warnings on the hopper doors as this section is easily masked.

I also realised I haven't posted on this thread, so here's a link to the previous post on the other HYA thread.

HYA-square1Copy.jpg.39d278fe378e94ed721301ce16a2b282.jpgimage.png.9f5e7a6e6064d0d4e2b8e24a6525f136.pngimage.png.134f2c30ac6f816840588d5d2373d1d4.png

Again, give me a shout if you're interested. £15 for 5 wagons worth, including renumbering patches for both sides.

Jo

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

Hi after returning to the hobby last year, I was fortunate enough to pick up some of these wagons before they all sold out.

I was also lucky to snap up a TMC graffiti / weathered version on eBay which in my opinion is a stunning piece of art by TMC. Would anyone be able to tell me if this design has been taken from a prototype wagon or a TMC design? If a prototype, I would be grateful for any links please.

My search has proved negative so far for a prototype.

Many thanks in advance of your help.

IMG_3152.jpeg

IMG_3148.jpeg

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, puffmeister-general said:

Hi after returning to the hobby last year, I was fortunate enough to pick up some of these wagons before they all sold out.

I was also lucky to snap up a TMC graffiti / weathered version on eBay which in my opinion is a stunning piece of art by TMC. Would anyone be able to tell me if this design has been taken from a prototype wagon or a TMC design? If a prototype, I would be grateful for any links please.

My search has proved negative so far for a prototype.

Many thanks in advance of your help.

IMG_3152.jpeg

IMG_3148.jpeg

There are still a few new shorty HYAs out there at dealers such as Rainbow Railways and ebay sellers (some of which are AS dealers).

Not too sure if the TMC example is copied from a prototype - I haven't seen one like it either.

Much *fun* can be had searching the likes of flickr.com for examples!

Especially if safe search is off.

(As I found out looking for HIA graffiti........)

I know @Steadfast's  graffiti decals are taken from the real thing though! 😉

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, newbryford said:

There are still a few new shorty HYAs out there at dealers such as Rainbow Railways and ebay sellers (some of which are AS dealers).

Not too sure if the TMC example is copied from a prototype - I haven't seen one like it either.

Much *fun* can be had searching the likes of flickr.com for examples!

Especially if safe search is off.

(As I found out looking for HIA graffiti........)

I know @Steadfast's  graffiti decals are taken from the real thing though! 😉

Thanks @newbryford for the reply and help.

I managed to pick up a load from trains4u which were on sale so I could model the Hunslet Tilcon - Mossend traffic but will keep an eye out on eBay also for any bargains.

Your modelling is superb and I’m really enjoying being back on the forum and catching up with projects and layouts.

I was able to grab some HYA coal wagons from Rainbow Railways who had used Steadfast Models artwork on their printer. The finish is superb and I highly recommend their graffiti range also.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, puffmeister-general said:

Thanks @newbryford for the reply and help.

I managed to pick up a load from trains4u which were on sale so I could model the Hunslet Tilcon - Mossend traffic but will keep an eye out on eBay also for any bargains.

Your modelling is superb and I’m really enjoying being back on the forum and catching up with projects and layouts.

I was able to grab some HYA coal wagons from Rainbow Railways who had used Steadfast Models artwork on their printer. The finish is superb and I highly recommend their graffiti range also.

As @newbryfordpoints out, all my stuff is traved from photos of the real things.

HYA-square1Copy.jpg.39d278fe378e94ed721301ce16a2b282.jpgimage.png.9f5e7a6e6064d0d4e2b8e24a6525f136.pngimage.png.134f2c30ac6f816840588d5d2373d1d4.png

I'm not sure if Rainbow have done a run of this artwork on the HYAs, but the stuff they have run looks great, if I say so myself! Removes the hassle of applying decals, and covers lumps and bumps like a decal would struggle to

Jo

• Like 3

The sets provided by Jo are of a high quality and are easily fixed with mircoset/sol. Great depth of colour in the printing too. I did end up pulling a bit back off with some tape a week and a bit after (I thought) the final glosscote had set, but that's a me problem rather than the product and I think I've hidden it well enough. Great to have a Garfield too as that goes past my house nearly every day. Other sides left blank for graffiti free running too.

PXL_20240128_152603604~3.jpg

PXL_20240128_152641203~4.jpg

PXL_20240128_152955948~2.jpg

PXL_20240128_152803653~3.jpg

PXL_20240128_152746244~2.jpg

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Markn said:

The sets provided by Jo are of a high quality and are easily fixed with mircoset/sol. Great depth of colour in the printing too. I did end up pulling a bit back off with some tape a week and a bit after (I thought) the final glosscote had set, but that's a me problem rather than the product and I think I've hidden it well enough. Great to have a Garfield too as that goes past my house nearly every day. Other sides left blank for graffiti free running too.

PXL_20240128_152603604~3.jpg

PXL_20240128_152641203~4.jpg

PXL_20240128_152955948~2.jpg

PXL_20240128_152803653~3.jpg

PXL_20240128_152746244~2.jpg

Wow they look great Mark! Thanks for the kind words, glad you enjoyed them.

Good job hiding the damage - I can't spot it! 

I can't guarantee I'll have stock because of the short run nature of the product, but if ever anyone has an issue with damage drop me a message and if I can help, I'll do what I can. Sometimes I have bits of development sets knocking about for example.

Jo

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Markn said:

Two more finished and running. One based on a real HYA and one fictitious. Next ones should be VTG blue repaints.

PXL_20240216_124905925~2.jpg

PXL_20240216_124822566~3.jpg

I really must finish my two Touax/GB Railfreight pair - I have the graffiti ready!

• Friendly/supportive 1