RMweb

Sutton's Locomotive Works *NEW* Class 25

Nick G

• RMweb Premium

I ordered mine online and received an invoice (from the sales_at_railexclusive.com email address).  No money taken at the time or since.  At the recent Crewe event I provided them with new card details since the card I'd originally planned to play with had expired.

Looking forward to getting my 25324 when it's ready.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Quick question I’ve never got round to asking. I’ve got the twin pack 25/9’s on order as DC only whilst I decided whether to go for sound or not. I’ve now decided against sound on the basis of having to fit the rest of my fleet and some older sound fitted locos I do have now having decoder issues (basically it’s all or nothing for sound in my mind). 

As SLW don’t offer a DCC fitted non sound option what’s the best decoder to retrofit?

On 19/11/2023 at 20:16, SHerr said:

Quick question I’ve never got round to asking. I’ve got the twin pack 25/9’s on order as DC only whilst I decided whether to go for sound or not. I’ve now decided against sound on the basis of having to fit the rest of my fleet and some older sound fitted locos I do have now having decoder issues (basically it’s all or nothing for sound in my mind). 

As SLW don’t offer a DCC fitted non sound option what’s the best decoder to retrofit?

Do you mean DCC Ready?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

Do you mean DCC Ready?

Sorry, probably not a very clear description.

I have a DC (no decoder) version on order but have a DCC layout. However the only DCC option from Suttons appears to be  Sound fitted. I spoke to Phil a while ago and he stated that there wasn’t much demand for DCC without sound.

I want DCC non sound so would like to know what the best decoder is as I will have to retro fit.

Hope that’s clearer.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, SHerr said:

I have a DC (no decoder) version on order but have a DCC layout. However the only DCC option from Suttons appears to be  Sound fitted. I spoke to Phil a while ago and he stated that there wasn’t much demand for DCC without sound.

I want DCC non sound so would like to know what the best decoder is as I will have to retro fit.

Hope that’s clearer.

I do DCC without the noises off too.

I've simply acepted that I have to get decoders for them all and fit them myself.

58 minutes ago, SHerr said:

Hope that’s clearer.

Ok , you will need a Plux 22 decoder , the sound fitted ones are set up to run on Zimo ones so that's probably the best route to take , Phil will be able to advise you which the best one is 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Davidjsmith said:

I am hoping Phil is to busy testing & packing parcels to dispatch !The nearer we get the worse it gets!Its been along wait with all the various circumstances!

Easy tiger....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SHerr said:

Hope that’s clearer.

I used a Zimo Plux 22 on my SLW class 24 but there was a problem. Because they use a special Zimo sound decoder which has the index pin space replaced by an extra live pin, the cab lights on one end would not work. A standard Plux 22 has 21 pins, the SLW one has 22. I got round it by swapping the lighting plug connection to another socket which was attached to another pin on the decoder socket and thus used one of the other function outputs from the decoder. This may be the same for the 25, maybe not.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, giz said:

I used a Zimo Plux 22 on my SLW class 24 but there was a problem. Because they use a special Zimo sound decoder which has the index pin space replaced by an extra live pin, the cab lights on one end would not work. A standard Plux 22 has 21 pins, the SLW one has 22. I got round it by swapping the lighting plug connection to another socket which was attached to another pin on the decoder socket and thus used one of the other function outputs from the decoder. This may be the same for the 25, maybe not.

Thanks, that makes sense, when I spoke to Phil (probably 18 months ago) he mentioned there may be issues, but wasn't clear what. He did mention 'special decoders'.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, SHerr said:

Thanks, that makes sense, when I spoke to Phil (probably 18 months ago) he mentioned there may be issues, but wasn't clear what. He did mention 'special decoders'.

You could always just buy the SLW sound bundle for your '25'. It adds cost, I know, but SLW sound locos are sublime. The clarity and playability of the file/speaker setup are streets ahead of anything else on the market, so even if your other locos aren't sound-fitted, you'd have a lot of fun. I've had two sound-fitted '24s' for some years, and they've never missed a beat.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I spoke to Jennie today to pay for my 25324.

She confirmed the lower preorder prices are being honoured.

The first batch hasnt arrived yet of 25324 and one of the first early green ones. Still awaiting release from customs I think.

Might be nearer Christmas before they go out by the time they have recieved, QC'd and packaged etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, giz said:

Hi Giz,

Have you got any pictures of this set up?

I've ordered a non sound Tamworth Castle thinking it was DCC ready.

Cheers.

Scott.

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Magna Junction said:

Hi Giz,

Cheers.

Scott.

This seems to be the accepted wisdom....

DCC ready means that the loco is designed to be fitted with a DCC chip. At the factory a small piece of circuitry is added to the loco with a socket that enables you to insert a DCC decoder to convert the engine from analogue to DCC.

1 hour ago, Magna Junction said:

Hi Giz,

Cheers.

Scott.

I'll see what I can do tomorrow. Basically it meant removing one of the lighting leads from its socket and moving it to a spare one. It will work if you plug in a standard Plux22 chip except for one of the lights, which as standard is connected to pin 11 (which is present on their Zimo sound decoder but absent on all other Plux22).

I think they did this Plux22 modification so that there will be enough outputs to independently switch all the lights on the 24/1 with the extra Scottish headlights, however other manufacturers seem to be able to do it, I think, using pins 3 and 4 (the data outputs)

• Like 1

@Magna Junction

Here's what I did. The decoder is a Zimo MX637P22 6 function. 

When I fitted the decoder, head and tail lights worked plus one cab interior light. At the end that the cab light did not work (I can't remember which) I swapped the plug with the blue and green wires from the socket that it was in to the empty one next to it. I had to lever it out with a small screwdriver. Both cab lights then worked on separate functions.

IMG_20231129_112845.jpg.045d312ad52b28986f7f086991f2fa42.jpg

Note, this is one of the last run of 24s, the un-numbered ones, and the new 25s may be different. If the 25 has engine room lights in addition, which I think it may, a more than 6 function decoder would be needed to make them work.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 hours ago, Garry D100 said:

The first batch hasnt arrived yet of 25324 and one of the first early green ones. Still awaiting release from customs I think.

Might be nearer Christmas before they go out by the time they have recieved, QC'd and packaged etc.

That's good. 

I ordered mine on the phone after first released, so I'm hoping that is still recorded, as the price increase will mean I'll have to take one off the list otherwise. 

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Garry D100 said:

Did Jennie contact you first to pay?

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Did Jennie contact you first to pay?

No I rang them because i had cancelled mine about 18 months ago and was asking if i could be put back on a reserve list.

As it turned out to my delight it hadnt been cancelled. She wasnt going to take payment when i spoke to her , i asked if i could so its out of the way.

It wasnt requested by Jennie so dont worry :-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1