Sutton's Locomotive Works *NEW* Class 25

Nick G

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, GD said:

I've given up on these and cancelled my 2 preorders, the funds I had allocated for these ended up on accurascale mk2Bs and Cs,

Only 2 1/2 years since announcement and soon to arrive. I can think of lots of other models that have taken a lot longer. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Only 2 1/2 years since announcement and soon to arrive. I can think of lots of other models that have taken a lot longer. 

Roy

Particularly given that two and a half years was subject to exceptional circumstances and supply chain disruption which was probably unprecedented in peace time. Given it's a small company I think it'd be most unfair not to give them a good bit of leeway in such circumstances, especially when much bigger companies have struggled to deliver new products.

• Agree 8

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

Particularly given that two and a half years was subject to exceptional circumstances and supply chain disruption which was probably unprecedented in peace time. Given it's a small company I think it'd be most unfair not to give them a good bit of leeway in such circumstances, especially when much bigger companies have struggled to deliver new products.

Valid points but an update once a month would have been appreciated

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, GD said:

I don't see Bachmann making monthly updates on their class 25, which has been in development for 5 1/2 years since announcement. A little perspective perhaps.

Edited by Zunnan
can't add up!
  • Like 2
  • Agree 14

25 minutes ago, GD said:

I love the SLW products, but they really dont give regular and reliable updates of progress. It'd be good if they'd say when production is complete or when they're being shipped.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, GordonC said:

I love the SLW products, but they really dont give regular and reliable updates of progress. It'd be good if they'd say when production is complete or when they're being shipped.

We know what to expect from SLW re updates, Phil has always been very clear about his ways of communicating. If we get monthly updates, somebody will expect fortnightly, fortnightly and somebody will expect weekly… 

I think the likes of Accurascale have changed expectations, however, I am yet to be convinced that these expectations are actually reasonable.

Let the models speak for themselves, they will be worth the wait and will be here when they are and not a day before. 

Roy

• Like 4
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, GD said:

But what would these updates say? It won't change when the model is ready or how good it is. SLW give very comprehensive updates once or twice a year and also appear with samples at the odd show. We know roughly when the model is arriving because we were told months ago.  

Other manufacturers may appear to be more effusive with updates (and most over-promise), but you have to remember that they have many more models in production at any one time; SLW only cover two prototypes, the gestation for which is necessarily long.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I may be wrong but my recollection is that SLW announced these early following Heljan's announcement to let potential customers know they were also working on one. When they released the 24 it was announced when it was with them ready to sell and I think that is their preference, avoiding a lot of speculation, frothing and marketing guff, similar to the current Bachmann approach. It's a personal preference and I know many others differ but I much prefer the Bachmann and SLW approach.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I may be wrong but my recollection is that SLW announced these early following Heljan's announcement to let potential customers know they were also working on one. When they released the 24 it was announced when it was with them ready to sell and I think that is their preference, avoiding a lot of speculation, frothing and marketing guff, similar to the current Bachmann approach. It's a personal preference and I know many others differ but I much prefer the Bachmann and SLW approach.

You're correct but it did make me cancel my Heljan order and I still don't regret that decision.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 4 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Nice to be invited but a day trip to Crewe is a bit of a stretch, living in Worthing.

Maybe there’ll be an announcement on the day…

Cheers

Darius

Likewise, except a trip from Melbourne is just a tad further still away! 😉

• Agree 2