Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Sutton's Locomotive Works *NEW* Class 25

Nick G

11 hours ago, adb968008 said:

gosh, Where to begin with this one…

IMG_4294.jpeg.d2e911bd7f2b6f419ff0d3b2445a684b.jpeg

If your wanting a box opening video online you better get a cup of tea first….

(Actually my little secret ive had my three since April 11th, ive just been on the road quite a lot so ive not had chance write this up, but the pictures were taken over the last 2 weeks, tonight I’m finally able to sit down at home and do it).

The way they are delivered..

1. wrapped in brown paper

2. in a cardboard box

3. in a white foam layer

4. wrapped in tissue

5. enclosed in a tin

6 inside a layer of black foam

7. inside a plastic display cradle

8. You find your engine….

Well its Brilliant, lets get that out of the way.

IMG_9065.jpeg.f9f8dc973aa46a50c1afad54d8342a15.jpeg

The detail and paint finish are superb.

Both bufferbeams are fully decorated. 
The model has oodles of separate parts.. starting with the bogies, the wheels holes are picked up, separate pipes, sand boxes, steps on the bogies. Not attention to both the orange and blue separately painted under body pipes..

IMG_9066.jpeg.ede6500b6dc3233b6d9895eaad4b5357.jpeg

The grills are much improved on the original class 24.

door width and handles are much better than the recent Heljan offering.

The roof panels, separate parts are picked out and painted individually

IMG_9069.jpeg.3735a49597a97251d107787e748cb612.jpeg

Curved roof grills nicely picked out

engine room detail visible…with relief, for the walk space.

IMG_9071.jpeg.d313e095e0a030aeb49155fd7322fac8.jpeg

It definitely looks like a 25…

It weighs in at 487g… thats not bad for a little type 2.

To get inside….

This was quite tough, indeed very tough.

First thought, unclip the body, no budge, no give.

i noticed the buffers had screws, so I tried this, they come off… (this would be nice if Hattons 66/style there was a second set without the detailing fitted, somI could fit with the coupling, without having to remove the detailing)…

Still no movement.

IMG_9043.jpeg.78ec2920b7dc0915ddc3899e4105b1e3.jpeg

Dont unscrew the second pair at your peril, thats the coupling cam box and that spring aint ever going back on.

Theres nothing to hold on to.. not the tank its coming off, not the buffers they are coming off, not the bogie that tower you really dont want off.

Now in the box is a load of gumpf…

IMG_4295.jpeg.c07a166f646530c8463512bf7caeeced.jpeg

but whats not in there is a manual…. Not in any of my three 25’s. theres a nice notepad, but blank pages wont help me get the body off.

the URL is here…

https://sulzertype2.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Class24manualV1-3.pdf

It suggests the body is just clip fit, but its just not having it.

After losing 2 buffers, the tank risking looking loose and the underframe detail coming loose I am on the verge of giving up… the last model stuck like this was the Heljan PWM… and a-ha…

IMG_9044.jpeg.9b0fa99ee4e79ab9977149c4729ebf5b.jpeg

Although I had 4 hotel keys in the 4 body retainers it simply wasnt having it… so I squeezed the hotel keys and hey presto the body unseated itself and came off. (Now note last time I tried that was Hattons 66’s and the grills would start popping off, but here we are ok)… but it revealed the issue….

The under body detail is a separate piece, on each side, it is glued to the body.. not the chassis and just a bit seeped between body and chassis gluing them together under the cab doors.

so now I am in…

The chassis is everything you would expect, JSTs holding it together, its laid out like the Heljan style boards with cab lights at the ends, motor wires in the centre. Two sugar cube boxes for speakers.

Nice view of the cab interior details.

IMG_9045.jpeg.d3f291386f7b02cca8d501b79f0143fd.jpeg

Trying to remove the jsts is at your own risk, I noted they are very tightly fitted, and the female adaptors soldered to the board are not strong, it would be imo quite easy for these to come off causing an additional job (like on the recent 37 nose boards).. 

however lifting the board reveals a nice surprise on the motor…

IMG_4536.jpeg.49f5673c17810a1b140db0feefc527b5.jpeg

Never seen a personalized motor label before for a rtr model.

looks like a smaller compact motor than used in several other models, but its nice to see the spec on their…

How does it perform… 0.05amp start up makes it a little higher than average but its a very smooth start.

it maxes out at 0.16amp, pretty average but with a nice turn of speed, this motor is definitely right for the job.

Whilst inside a quick look at the cab interior details…

IMG_9046.jpeg.25d70c378250fbdd0c53d8cff267136c.jpeg

Yes the buffer was added back later.

So I cannot pose it next to a Heljan 25, as my one and only is lost in the pile, but heres an idea what were dealing with..

what stands out is the drivers cab rivets are much refined, the under frame detail, more refined, greater buffer detail, the engraving out outlines of the grills, vents and panels are more refined. It quite simply looks sharper.

The interior detail is more pronouned both cab and engine room.

Finally the cab doors again the glass seals look more refined as does the handrails.

IMG_9078.jpeg.18a62d71e0ce6e7a110bff64694709ae.jpeg

IMG_2016.jpeg.4439f75b40a6cb54fb144fa89d253941.jpeg

Old Bachmann and New Heljan…

IMG_1996.jpeg.977b9d2c95ee886ddb203b79a08f26f9.jpeg

and the SLW 25..

IMG_9073.jpeg.2030e4199110a1050b0ae9fe2dede6a6.jpeg

Which leds me to lights…

IMG_9060.jpeg.b8406654431723dabaa55f24f6434e8c.jpeg
cab lights is nice, but the light bleed around the headcodes is a bit obvious..

IMG_9055.jpeg.b8e02d3441645fea286e5dad5082045d.jpeg

The cab lights are unswitched, so engine room, cab and headcode are one LED, and always on going forwards on DC, unless you unplug it.

One interesting note is the LED is whiter in the Cab for the blue, and yellower for the green…

IMG_9079.jpeg.dda142592cdb57ba5fa976ecd4fb2db5.jpeg

Overall thrilled with the loco, the packaging.

What could be improved:

1. the light bleed around the headcode

2. instruction manual being included

3. separate buffer beam for those wanting to add a coupling.

4. some would want working fans.

otherwise this is a top shelf model, Ive not had anything like this for a while and it does deserve the accolades and attention its been getting..

If it's anything like the 24 then the best way to remove the body from the chassis is leave it attached to the plinth I've found

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

If it's anything like the 24 then the best way to remove the body from the chassis is leave it attached to the plinth I've found

Or even use the mounting screws as described in the manual which I downloaded from @adb968008 link.

image.png.9a2cbc1fa22e720d091e91694e613e89.png

• Like 1

4. some would want working fans. ( quote adb968008 )

In tick over or cruising light engine the fan doesn't operate, there's not even water flowing through the rad elements at that stage.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, paulbb said:

Is there a space for an NEM coupler mount? if so does it come with one?

Yes - I'm using mine with a Kadee at one end...

53636114470_befec54b12_c.jpg

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 5

47 minutes ago, 25901 said:

In tick over or cruising light engine the fan doesn't operate, there's not even water flowing through the rad elements at that stage.

Easy enough to arrange a cooling fan kicking in at a given loco speed or to run randomly with the loco moving only via cv adjustments.

Even on DC a small 50p voltage regulator could be arranged to power a fan motor independently starting at say 3 volts of loco motor voltage so that the fan will only spin once the loco had achieved a  certain speed.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 25/04/2024 at 17:48, The Ghost of IKB said:

Call me a conspiracy theorist if you like, but I'm beginning to think that this whole SLW class 25 thing is an elaborate hoax, perpetuated by a secretive cabal of deep state actors, the illuminati  and the CIA.  Rumour has it that the so called launch event at Bentley was actually a film shot by Stanley Kubrick in a Hollywood sound stage, using AI generated customers. That is the only possible explanation for these delays.

From now on everytime I check this thread I'll be wearing a tin foil hat.

I was there at Bentley, and the opportunity to drive the Moon Buggy around the staff car park was the most fun I have had in ages!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

So ..... based on the statement at York MRE, that is D7599 sound fitted 4 - 6 weeks for delivery. I should hear something from SLW next week 🤣

Confidence level about 2%

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

So ..... based on the statement at York MRE, that is D7599 sound fitted 4 - 6 weeks for delivery. I should hear something from SLW next week 🤣

You’ll have to get a few Bachmann ones to tide you over! On a serious note, I am building up a fleet so the SLW ones on order can turn up as and when. Looking forward to having them all idling on the layout with a few 40s whistling, whenever that may be!

Edited by 97406
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Don't hold your breath.  

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Wow!

Don't need to get one delivered. Just get in the car and go and see them whoopee!!

image.png.0939386a3466e9cb6f80cfc5cf2c00da.png

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

On 03/05/2024 at 17:06, 97406 said:

You’ll have to get a few Bachmann ones to tide you over! On a serious note, I am building up a fleet so the SLW ones on order can turn up as and when. Looking forward to having them all idling on the layout with a few 40s whistling, whenever that may be!

I'd guess the new Bachmann ones won't have any 'significant' impact on the pre orders of SLW locos, though there may well be one or two that slip over and order instead, if the Bachmann one proves to be of a high standard (possible) and arrives first (highly likely!)

Paul.

11 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Wow!

Don't need to get one delivered. Just get in the car and go and see them whoopee!!

image.png.0939386a3466e9cb6f80cfc5cf2c00da.png

There's a 25324 on ebay right now, you'll only have to wait 8 days plus delivery time if you win.

Rob

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Lord Flashheart said:

There's a 25324 on ebay right now, you'll only have to wait 8 days plus delivery time if you win.

Rob

Thanks for 'heads up'. Wrong era and no sound. Waiting for D7599.

Surprised to see one up on ebay already!

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Paul_sterling said:

I'd guess the new Bachmann ones won't have any 'significant' impact on the pre orders of SLW locos, though there may well be one or two that slip over and order instead, if the Bachmann one proves to be of a high standard (possible) and arrives first (highly likely!)

Paul.

I think a few will cancel their SLW orders and get Bachmann instead, but most will keep their orders open and wait for them to trickle in. I see no reason not to keep my orders open, though I’m reaching the point where I have/will have sufficient 25s from Heljan, Bachmann and SLW for the mid eighties era.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Very happy with my 25324 and would buy another - a 25/1 this time - if what I wanted was available to order, but since it’s not yet I will get a Bachmann 25057 and will then see how they compare to base any further orders on. I certainly wouldn’t cancel an SLW order for a version I want just because I would have to wait a bit longer. They’re too good for that.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

While I'm frustrated by SLW's lack of updates explaining why delivery of my order has been delayed, at this stage I'm not considered cancelling my order (1 x sound fitted 25324); yet.

If I need any more though, future orders will, most likely, be for the Bachmann product.  As good as the SLW one may be, its appeal is limited if you can't get what you want when you want it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Mark Forrest said:

If I need any more though, future orders will, most likely, be for the Bachmann product.  As good as the SLW one may be, its appeal is limited if you can't get what you want when you want it.

I don't see how Bachmann will help much in that scenario, either.  Having recently returned to 4mm, none of the Bachmann (non-rat) items I want are easily found on shelves and many haven't been around for years.  Bachmann's 25s have been promised since 2018 and once they've come and gone I'd imagine only the ones I don't much fancy will linger in the discounts and sales.  Get 'em while you can.  Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...

Edited by franciswilliamwebb
Clarity

• RMweb Premium

A little bit of communication could pour oil on troubled waters.

Delays to the model caused by the exceptional circumstances of the last few years were fair enough in my view. SLW are a small company and events derailed companies with much more purchasing power and resource. 

If SLW are struggling to get orders out because they're a tiny outfit, or because they're going through each model to check quality or for another reason I would cut them slack but it'd probably avoid negative feeling to tell their customers why there is a delay. Delays in delivery from the factory are one thing, delays in fulfilment after arrival at SLW something else as that should be within their control.

Personally I wouldn't cancel but I can understand why people are getting a bit annoyed when it wouldn't take that much to provide an update.

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

Right, hopefully this will help some people in a similar situation.  Late last year I had some spare cash and phoned and paid in full for 2 of the 4 I’ve now ordered.

In early January I had an email saying that they didn’t need payment details as I’d paid, and that I was a very early order, so mine should be one of the first out of the door (25324).

5 months later I felt it was fair to ask for an update.  To be fair to them they responded in a few days and it turns out that the issue was the fact I’d paid for 2 locos, only one of which was in stock.  They’ve now split the orders, and I’m told my sound fitted 25324 should be with me next week.

So, anyone else who has paid in full for two different 25s, one of which is still to arrive from china, may be in the same boat as me.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
On 10/05/2024 at 16:54, aureol40012 said:

Right, hopefully this will help some people in a similar situation.  Late last year I had some spare cash and phoned and paid in full for 2 of the 4 I’ve now ordered.

In early January I had an email saying that they didn’t need payment details as I’d paid, and that I was a very early order, so mine should be one of the first out of the door (25324).

5 months later I felt it was fair to ask for an update.  To be fair to them they responded in a few days and it turns out that the issue was the fact I’d paid for 2 locos, only one of which was in stock.  They’ve now split the orders, and I’m told my sound fitted 25324 should be with me next week.

So, anyone else who has paid in full for two different 25s, one of which is still to arrive from china, may be in the same boat as me.

Thank you while not in the same position as you the fact they are working through dispatching the sound 25324 is good news for me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 10/05/2024 at 18:54, aureol40012 said:

Seems a strange business model to me. 

The key to being successful is surely to keep your customers happy. So surely a simple email oe text to the customer to ask if they would be happy to receive the model sat on their shelves, separate from the model yet to arrive from the factory ? No point sitting on stock which the customer has paid months in advance.

This obviously also affects the reputation of SLW. I genuinely wish Phil Sutton well but I think he may need to consider his interaction with his customers. Treat em well and they will return !!

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
On 04/05/2024 at 20:33, Lord Flashheart said:

Rob

I was surprised to see it only went £22 over the original sale price.

7 hours ago, Dicky L said:

I was surprised to see it only went £22 over the original sale price.

Original price was 185, it sold for 232 I think, but nothing like the ebay mark up for accuras deltics.