Sutton's Locomotive Works *NEW* Class 25

Nick G

Is it just possible that SLW have a little overwhelmed by their success and are at that point where the popularity & volume of sales has reached a tipping point and their original set-up is struggling to cope - even the AS lads at one point in the past 6 years must have reached a stage when a C-change in terms of set-up was required ................................ looking forwards to 25043 & 25260 at some point 👍

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I'm awaiting a sound fitted SLW25, when it's ready it will be ready.

I am slightly amused by the 'I must have SLW, it's the only acceptable one' comment. When the Heljan one came out there were comments that it was a bit pointless with the SLW one 'imminent' - well I have 4 Heljan ones and whilst I've no doubt that SLW is a better model and that the Bachmann one is likely to be good as well I'm really glad that I've had a couple of years of enjoyment from the Heljan ones.

Frankly, for me they are first RTR ones to actually capture the look of 25s out of the box. Then again, being a child of the 70s, I'm pretty used to adapting what's out there for what I want in terms of D&E rather than banging the table and demanding that my needs are served.

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, andyman7 said:

Then again, being a child of the 70s, I'm pretty used to adapting what's out there for what I want in terms of D&E rather than banging the table and demanding that my needs are served.

Indeed. I remember being greeted by my parents on the platform at Birmingham New Street in December 1975 waiting for our "Merrymaker" excursion back to Kent - them from shopping in Brum and me back from successfully bunking Saltley - with the good news that they had secured my 12th birthday present in Beatties ............................. I was so excited 👍

image.png.adc23e66e9e525e9510df68816de57ba.png

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, andyman7 said:

Then again, being a child of the 70s, I'm pretty used to adapting what's out there for what I want in terms of D&E rather than banging the table and demanding that my needs are served.

Likewise.....I remember the first Lima BR Diesels...a joy at the time

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Just got back from York show and had a look over these (I’ve got the 25/9 twin pack on order) and they really are amazing. The Bachmann ones are in their cabinet and whilst you can only compare from walking up 3 flights of stairs I’d say the SLW one just looks better - that’s not that the Baccy one looks bad.

Didn’t ask about delivery dates as I’m sure Phil’s sick of being asked and didn’t think he deserved that, they will definitely be worth the wait. Fully tooled 24/1 and 25/1 not fully tooled bodyshells on show and also look great, from that I’d hazard a guess the 24/1 will arrive before the 25/1.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SHerr said:

Just got back from York show and had a look over these (I’ve got the 25/9 twin pack on order) and they really are amazing. The Bachmann ones are in their cabinet and whilst you can only compare from walking up 3 flights of stairs I’d say the SLW one just looks better - that’s not that the Baccy one looks bad.

Didn’t ask about delivery dates as I’m sure Phil’s sick of being asked and didn’t think he deserved that, they will definitely be worth the wait. Fully tooled 24/1 and 25/1 not fully tooled bodyshells on show and also look great, from that I’d hazard a guess the 24/1 will arrive before the 25/1.

Did you happen to get any details of the 3 new blue 25s being done?

Edited by sulzer71

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sulzer71 said:

Did you happen to get any details of the 3 new blue 25s being done?

They was a flyer but didn’t take a right lot of notice as the only extra one I need is a 25/1. 

One on the display I think was 09x with number on cab I think, but sorry don’t  have any more info.

5 minutes ago, SHerr said:

They was a flyer but didn’t take a right lot of notice as the only extra one I need is a 25/1. 

One on the display I think was 09x with number on cab I think, but sorry don’t  have any more info.

No worries , I'm sure someone will post about them , it was said on their Facebook page that there would be a small announcement of a rerun of blue 25s because the first 3 sold through so quickly 

3 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

Indeed. I remember being greeted by my parents on the platform at Birmingham New Street in December 1975 waiting for our "Merrymaker" excursion back to Kent - them from shopping in Brum and me back from successfully bunking Saltley - with the good news that they had secured my 12th birthday in Beatties ............................. I was so excited 👍

I still have this loco from Hornby. Boxed and MINT as well. 😀😯👍👍

2 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Spoke with Phil at the York show today. I offered to pay for my D7599, but there were no payment facilities. He asked if I was expecting the sound fitted and told me it would be 4 - 6 weeks. 1000s to be sent out. Not sure if that is for the first two or if that refers to all of the 25 orders so far.

There seemed to be lots of interest, and on passing later order information was being noted.

Fanatastic looking, and superb sound demos.

A couple of photos to wet the appetite:

DSC09513.JPG.9550938b647a52f9c9e3c8bd82a71259.JPG

DSC09515.JPG.c2814c39a7bd82241620e09ba8123f71.JPG

I did photo the Bachmann 25 but behind glass.

DSC09517.JPG.8b0ab42cb191c41894f031a90d6e6f73.JPG

Well done for asking .

The Bachmann version looking good too ! 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

ISTR when the first two 25s arrived Phil was quoted as saying there were thousands to be sent out - far more than ever produced of the 24s - so it wouldn’t surprise me if there were still (fewer) thousands still to be despatched. I’m lucky in that I’ve received my 25324 and am very happy with it. The retaining screws were slightly loose and fuel tank had become detached, but nothing was broken and it reattached with ease.

If all the 25s have similar production quantities, Phil and Jamie have a mammoth task ahead as they all arrive. I hope they can get on top of it but I can see people defecting to Bachmann if their versions (I’m sure we’ll see more than the two announced so far in the next quarterly announcements) are as good as or almost, and are available pretty much immediately.

Edited by brushman47544
Correct autocorrects
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

Indeed. I remember being greeted by my parents on the platform at Birmingham New Street in December 1975 waiting for our "Merrymaker" excursion back to Kent - them from shopping in Brum and me back from successfully bunking Saltley - with the good news that they had secured my 12th birthday present in Beatties ............................. I was so excited 👍

Somewhere ive still got my Hornby 24/1 converts… filing off the horns, smoothing the roof and a bit of filler!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

If all the 25s have similar production quantities, Phil and Jennie have a mammoth task ahead as they all arrive. I hope they can get on top of it but I can see people defecting to Bachmann if their versions (I’m sure we’ll see more than the two announced so far in the next quarterly announcements) are as good as or almost, and are available pretty much immediately.

The Bachmann one does look goid, but those who preordered the SLW class 25 at £185 are well advised to hold the course, they could obviously buy both, I intend to.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Somewhere ive still got my Hornby 24/1 converts… filing off the horns, smoothing the roof and a bit of filler!

Eventually converted a second one into a skinhead 24 - cut the cab roof off - build-up layers of plasticard - file to shape 

• Like 6

20 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Spoke with Phil at the York show today. I offered to pay for my D7599, but there were no payment facilities.

There was someone ordering a class 25 today on the stand and he was simply asked to put his card number etc onto the back of the order note that just looked like some scribble.

Something rather non PCI compliant if you ask me - if they are about to deliver 1000s of locomotives then they are out of the 'smaller supplier' category and need to address card payment handling and fulfilment.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Phil has self funded this and it may well be that he recognises the need to improve, but needs the income from the 25s to fund those improvements. Given the moaning on here about crowdfunding and huge deposits, perhaps he should be given some credit instead?

He will get this right I am sure, just give him some time and patience. 

As an aside, finally succumbed and ordered the 25/9 pair yesterday taking my order total to eight 25s.

Roy

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good Morning,

There is a lot to like about SLW. The fidelity and quality of the models is in my opinion second to none and when I have had to contact them to amend or add to my orders, they have been a pleasure to deal with. Unless something completely untoward happens, I have absolutely no plans to change my orders further or jump ship to another supplier. Unless new models are announced of course when my current orders are likely to increase.

The one area that niggles me however is communication and perhaps more relevantly communication on expected delivery dates. I am certainly not asking for nor expecting the level of engagement that we have seen from some other suppliers and I accept that recent and current world events mean that any information given will be subject to change but honestly how difficult would it be for an indicative date (Quarter, half year, year even) to be provided and amended as and when necessary in place of the “Future Release” text already included for each model on their website. Simply something to help people make plans and to help manage expectations.

I look forward to getting my locos and yes they will arrive when they arrive but a little extra information would certainly be good.

PJ10

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Given that they must know how many orders they've shipped and how long it's taken, an estimate of how much longer to clear the backlog surely wouldn't be difficult.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PJ10 said:

Good Morning,

There is a lot to like about SLW. The fidelity and quality of the models is in my opinion second to none and when I have had to contact them to amend or add to my orders, they have been a pleasure to deal with. Unless something completely untoward happens, I have absolutely no plans to change my orders further or jump ship to another supplier. Unless new models are announced of course when my current orders are likely to increase.

The one area that niggles me however is communication and perhaps more relevantly communication on expected delivery dates. I am certainly not asking for nor expecting the level of engagement that we have seen from some other suppliers and I accept that recent and current world events mean that any information given will be subject to change but honestly how difficult would it be for an indicative date (Quarter, half year, year even) to be provided and amended as and when necessary in place of the “Future Release” text already included for each model on their website. Simply something to help people make plans and to help manage expectations.

I look forward to getting my locos and yes they will arrive when they arrive but a little extra information would certainly be good.

PJ10

I agree about the communication niggle.  IMHO worse than not knowing when a future release will arrive is being given a date and having that date pass (twice) without further explanation of why.

I'm looking forward to getting my loco (and have no doubt it will be excellent), but will think very carefully about ordering another from SLW, especially if other manufacturers raise their game and offer a reasonable alternative.

• Like 4