Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Covid - coming out of Lockdown 3 - no politics, less opinion and more facts and information.

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hobby said:

I'd suggest that if you are going to use comparisons that you also need to add other factors into the discussion. For instance population density...

Israel 400/sq km

BOLTON 1200/sq km

Which puts a different light on matters, 

Bolton isnt known for vast unpopulated deserts or mountains.

So i’m not sure people / land mass applies as an even metric.

Much of israels populations centres on three much more densely packed locations than Bolton…

F72B4F1F-FE42-4122-B2CE-67ABA90950F6.jpeg.5cda9f746c65d92c1bd8f3ef6e4b6f47.jpeg

you dont get flats like that in Great Moor Street, and this isnt the city centre which is hugely packed with flats.

354FD0E7-68B0-4658-8163-A1E5B8F1F64C.jpeg.749f73dddeaefa83887bdd47545dd204.jpeg

And centres of Covid hotspots are more on housing like this…

CD4525BD-2A92-4E5F-96FC-18EC91EE639F.jpeg.d849adf1145bfc37b2623845614860c1.jpeg

70CBC597-AF56-4383-81AD-BA9061DAA633.jpeg.5e2f1256570f125d6d414f5e1b8b5be4.jpeg

The land areas, inc suburbs of Tel Aviv 52sq km, for instance, is smaller than Bolton, 55sq km. Ive walked both myself and would agree, 

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

The point I was making is that concentrating on one aspect as your other post did does not tell the full story, hence I gave other differences. I said that Bolton cannot be used as an example for all of the UK and I see nothing in your post to change my mind and comparing it to Israel is not comparing like with like.

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1

Just now, woodenhead said:

The views are a little more sandy in Israel, but they also have walls, barriers, transmitters and such like on hills.

Rather be in Bolton.

So would I - (Well sunny Wigan nearby actually).

Israel is surrounded by unfriendly highly armed countries with itchy fingers on triggers. (We have Yorkshire !!!!!)

Brit15

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, APOLLO said:

By ecky thump it's grim up North - Best stay away !!!!!!!!!!!

Late first wife Deb, born in Colne, was in no doubt that part of the North West was lovely. We holidayed near Clitheroe in 1998. No more than a couple of weeks before she died in 2012, she hired an off-road device of some sort to try the trails of the Forest of Bowland. 

• Friendly/supportive 9

The Trough of Bowland is as nice as the Lake District and far less visited. Well under an hour by car from us, we go and have a walk there, usually in Autumn. There are many very nice places in Lancashire - Pendle Hill is another, which I can just see in the distance on my daily walk around Boars Head Wigan.

image.png.cddcb38f83d5a99bd16a88457e42511d.png

Beware of the witches though.

https://www.lancastercastle.com/history-heritage/further-articles/the-pendle-witches/

Brit15

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Am wondering what half this page has to do with covid ?

my use of Israel, was our nearest equivalent country with similar levels of vaccinations, and nothing to do with how green is my field... especially when none of them are taken in Bolton.

Two locations with totally different effect of Covid, at similar levels of vaccination.. tel-aviv is similar size as Bolton, and 2x the population with in that same sq km footprint..

yet covid is all but gone there.

Whilst there isnt a European country of note with similar levels of vaccination yet to compare with, it is notable that Covid is in decline across the continent.

but my point is.. similar levels of immunity, they arent having issues, we are, there it is all but gone, here it is spreading nationwide, why is that ?

I dont think the sun, leafy hills, gates are relevent, unless grass spreads covid ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

England is being more cautious.

Scotland would essential have to withdraw from the competition if it took similar steps and with hindsight we might just be saying they should have done so in 10 days time.

As for the link between leafy England and Israel I would have thought Jerusalem was the obvious link.

• Like 1

Just now, Oldddudders said:

"There is a green hill, far away....."

Must have sung that well over a thousand times in the morning assembly at Wiggin Grammur Skoole !!!!! 

Ah well, nuff said, back to the Pestilence !!

Brit15

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

England is being more cautious.

Scotland would essential have to withdraw from the competition if it took similar steps and with hindsight we might just be saying they should have done so in 10 days time.

As for the link between leafy England and Israel I would have thought Jerusalem was the obvious link.

Hmm...

Doesn't set a good precedent for the Olympics.

I saw an member of the Ugandan team arrived positive, he was quarantined, but the rest of cohort were sent on their merry way...

I dont think the Olympics offer a global risk, given how tightly managed the numbers will be, but theres considerable potential for spreading the joy of the games around the olympic family... I wonder how long before we will see an athlete competing with covid on TV.

34 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

my use of Israel, was our nearest equivalent country with similar levels of vaccinations, and nothing to do with how green is my field

but my point is.. similar levels of immunity, they arent having issues, we are, there it is all but gone, here it is spreading nationwide, why is that ?

Because you are not comparing like with like. Picking one or two similarities and then using them whilst ignoring other factors doesn't prove anything. We had a similar discussion with Monkeysarefun when he tried to do a direct comparison with Aus. Look at the whole picture and you will see why we are different. 

• RMweb Premium

"19th of July looking good for end of lockdown" says Prime Minister.

Yep, that'll put the hab dabs on it.  August it is then....

• Funny 3

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Two locations with totally different effect of Covid, at similar levels of vaccination.. tel-aviv is similar size as Bolton, and 2x the population with in that same sq km footprint..

yet covid is all but gone there.

I don't think things are going that well in Israel - they are starting to have issues with the Delta variant spreading, predominantly amongst the unvaccinated schoolchildren;

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-pushes-vaccine-for-teens-amid-fears-over-fast-spreading-delta-variant/

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy

11 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Am wondering what half this page has to do with covid ?

I dont think the sun, leafy hills, gates are relevent, unless grass spreads covid ?

Well looking at the images from my picturesque neck of the woods it's a nice distraction.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Crisis Rail said:

Well looking at the images from my picturesque neck of the woods it's a nice distraction.

I enjoyed Bolton for 18 years, but my view of it was more real-life working class, and in places many here would not venture. If more people experienced a year or two in Bolton, they might become better people for it.

The problems Bolton has with covid is nothing to do with views or Bolton-Le-Moors of the Lake District 40+ miles away.

But I do feel Boltons problems are a pre-empter of what is going to happen nationally.

Maybe move the conversation to a my grass is greener than yours thread and let this one back to covid ?

Edited by adb968008

5 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I enjoyed Bolton for 18 years, but my view of it was more real-life working class, and in places many here would not venture.

The problems Bolton has with covid is nothing to do with views of Bolton-Le-Moors of the Lake District 40+ miles away.

Maybe move the conversation to a my grass is greener than yours thread ?

Except that the Lake District is experiencing quite a rise in the number of reported cases.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Except that the Lake District is experiencing quite a rise in the number of reported cases.

Bernard

Back when Bolton started hitting the chart, you could see on the map of cases, a clear outline of the railway lines between Preston, Manchester and Rochdale, as well as upto Blackburn was visible in number of cases highlighted side by side of the stations.

(if you go back in time on the daily case map slider to early April you will still see it).

Several journalists did comment that Bury saw no rise, which was odd.

However.. Bury is not connected to Bolton by rail or motorway, it took Bury longer to start rising.

Since then weve had 2 bank holidays, and after it took me 8 hours to get from London to Bolton in bad traffic at the End of May Bank Holiday, I fully understand why the Lakes is experiencing a wave.

The anamoly Ive noticed is Blackpool... it seems to be teflon to covid, despite the daily visitors from the hot spots... I can only assume its the outdoors effect of those visitors, and the employees in Blackpool live outside town.. making central look safe, as staff and visitors take it back home with them.

Edited by adb968008

Lots have been said about comparing countries with each other, one thing we have learnt is that with covid comparisons are usually inaccurate. To start off with reporting standard vary too much as does the amount of testing. Then some countries are further along the curve than others. Japan for instance is now in their 5th wave and must be one of the worst developed countries for vaccinations.

The UK is now in its third wave with the Delta variant, yet most European countries are just getting over their third wave, but from a report over the past few days states that the Delta variant is now in circulation, lets hope they don't see the sharp increase in infections we have had.

We seem to be in a jam with the Delta variant in the UK, with cases still only slightly up in the south but the North taking a bit of a hammering. Thankfully its seemingly in the younger generations who are less affected by it and or those who have been vaccinated getting a mild infection.

Reports on BBC Essex yesterday from Southend's director of public health confirmed plans are being put in place for top up jabs in the autumn/winter this year. Perhaps we are moving into a phase where we live with this virus as we do with influenza, and forecasts are that influenza will be bad this year as many have lost their immunity

As an aside it was mentioned that after the jabs many have not suffered seasonal colds this year also I have been virtually free from Hay fever attacks for the first time despite it being very high over the past couple of weeks, though I may have built up immunity by being at the allotment most days (despite the grasses in the grave yard next door being left to go to seed.

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, hayfield said:

We seem to be in a jam with the Delta variant in the UK, with cases still only slightly up in the south but the North taking a bit of a hammering. Thankfully its seemingly in the younger generations who are less affected by it and or those who have been vaccinated getting a mild infection.

That'll be the effect of vaccinations, and prioritising by vulnerability and age group, paying off in exactly the way it was intended to.

• Like 2