New Dapol O gauge B4

birdseyecircus

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, MarcD said:

A bit fishy if you ask me. If I was about to bring a new product to market I would be showing off any prototype I had.

Marc

They’ve been showing them for months, they just don’t take everything to every show especially if doing different shows / open days the same weekend. They didn’t take the 66 to Ally Pally. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

This could be the loco that finally tempts me into making a start in 7mm.......

Rob

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Gilbert said:

Not the incoming J94 then....

Mmmmm..........no, I don't think so. Happy with the B4, given the quality of the 4mm job.

To be honest, I should have paid more attention to the Heljan waspy 03. We might have ended up with a 7mm version of Ewe. 

Now, if Rapido had gone ahead with their J70............

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Mmmmm..........no, I don't think so. Happy with the B4, given the quality of the 4mm job.

To be honest, I should have paid more attention to the Heljan waspy 03. We might have ended up with a 7mm version of Ewe. 

Now, if Rapido had gone ahead with their J70............

Rob. 

03 is tidy....

49647862738_3bcd6477f7_z.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

49647862738_3bcd6477f7_z.jpg

Not helping..........Good job it's not green with wasp stripes....

Mine arrived yesterday afternoon - No 91, in LSWR lined green, excellent finish and really looks the part.

IMG_1178.jpg.d1dc94c13ca943725405e9a8eca58173.jpg

Took it to the Club last night and it ran sweetly at all speeds and in both directions for over an hour - MS440 decoder and speakers ordered today.

P1020207.JPG.208ed7db39f128c275c0f57f755bcfb6.JPG

Must finish the Vulcan kit now!!!

regards

Mike

Edited by Ressaldar
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, goldfish said:

Has anybody had a chance to try this on small radius curves? The large overhang at the rear looks tailor made to create buffer lock.

I watched the Sam's trains video of the B4 yesterday evening and it showed the in reverse buffer lock occurred around R2 curves but it did not happen going forwards. I would say however that Sam's track laying would not lead me to wonder if there is a kink between 2 bits of curved track. There was a close up in the video which seemed to show a sudden slip of the buffers behind each other just at a track joint. 

The video is here 

The part of the video you you want is abut 29:30 

Edited by Kris
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

41 minutes ago, Kris said:

The part of the video you you want is abut 29:30 

Thank you for that. I most watch the whole video at some point. The problem occurred as the wagon transitioned from the curve to the straight, but managed the transition from the straight to the curve and the curve itself. It is unclear if that curve is setrack or a piece of flextrack, either way Sam,s track laying leaves something to be desired. I though I was bad but at least I have some sort of support under all my track. It is a pity he didn't show what happens when pushing the wagon trough the double curve in the points. If a short wheelbase wagon causes problems then the 4-wheel coaches must be must pose real difficulties on R2 curves.

• RMweb Premium

Most versions have bigger buffers which presumably makes a bit of difference. 

In checking this, I noticed the Caen version seems to have changed between pre-production (big buffers) and final (small).

The point of any sample is to check details so I have no problem with alterations but given the increasing move towards short runs and pre-ordering, getting the factory to send out photos of the actual model before it arrives would be helpful.    

Edited by Hal Nail

I think Its less about the wheel base and more to do with the over hang. if he had turned the loco round then  don't think he would have the same problem. I have the same problem running my terrier's bunker first through set track points. 

I might have to get one to run on WC Boggs. It would go well with the LSWR terrier.

Marc

• RMweb Gold

The 4mm version is one of the best running four wheel chassis I’ve seen and with that weight I’m looking forward to my two turning up! Might need to beef up the layout legs though 😆

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, MarcD said:

I think Its less about the wheel base and more to do with the over hang. if he had turned the loco round then  don't think he would have the same problem.

It is the combination of a short wheelbase and the long overhang that the causes the problem, it is a pity Sam didn't show more of it through the points. It could easily be resolved by a change of couplings, but from the video it looks like Dapol have buried them again, so that might be difficult.

We’ve got a very large and real Normandy at the Bluebell Railway and in the shop the slightly smaller new Dapol model, we took the little one to meet its big brother this morning…

best Michael 

IMG_3324.jpeg.d5007525302bde9f5d12d251ba7bd49d.jpeg

IMG_3321.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Having listened to one go round the Carlisle test track this afternoon I'm not convinced the sound is that great. It sounded more like a 3 cylinder compound than a 2 cylinder shunter. It looked good even though this one was in in BR black.

I think I might be tempted to get a DC one and fit my own chip.

Marc

• RMweb Gold

IMG_5219.jpeg.445e247e7bc56221d858576754de680f.jpeg

Not particularly impressed with ‘Sound Fitted’ with the decoder tray just lobbed in loose and bouncing around in the post!

Both loose and Normandy has paint chips as a result. IMG_5220.jpeg.5590b297d6654467b9cb2c5a99717dc0.jpeg

Ok they are dead easy to fit, once you’ve moved the wires from across the socket but how is this sound fitted for a novice? 

The locos are beautiful and I’ve switched to realdrive which works nicely. 

The other moan is how about a full function list? F1-F15, is that it? Most Zimo decoders allow a volume control on the F buttons so I assume this isn’t set up and I’ll have to do some digging to find out how to switch it on. I’ve tried reducing cv266 to 40 from 64 but it doesn’t reduce it much at all. 

Loco 9.5/10

Edit: A positive response from Joel at Dapol

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2