Kernow Models Beattie Well Tank

Andy Y

.................................( When is an Adams Radial due to be announced ? )

If only. But Kernow's strength is/will be the models that Hornby and Bachman choose not to make, and the Radial might be seen as one for them. I would hate to advise or second guess the Kernow team (they're doing rather well for me as it is), but I would like to see an ex-LSWR pair of carriages in the not-too-distant future. A pair of Ironclads, perhaps, in either pull only or pull-push build standard, or perhaps more popular would be the three gate-stock pull-push sets (Numbers 363, 373 and 374) which could be made in any one of a number of liveries: Maunsell green, possibly malachite, BR crimson, and BR green. And then quite a few types of panelled corridor and non-corridor stock survived to receive a BR livery. And any one of those would prise open my wee purse.

I wish them well, and don't delay!

PB

HI All

I came across this bit of info on the Wells tanks;

One of the Beatties was usually used as Wadebridge station pilot, and this photograph could well be 30586 detaching vans from a down train. She was frequently to be found on this duty as her water filler was less conveniently placed for taking water in Pencarrow Woods than the other two locos, so was rarely used for the Wenford Bridge clay trains, and though did work passenger services between Bodmin and Padstow

So it looks like only two of the class worked the line on a regular bases .

Hi Phil, Peter, and all,

I too am looking forward very much to receiving the two Beattie Well Tanks that I have on order. I also have pre-ordered Two of the Adams' 02 tanks. (We live in faith and hope).

For the future I too would love to see Kernow M.R.C. get the Adams' Radials done, as it is my favourite loco. But I also would'nt mind some ex LSWR carriage stock , desperately needed for my layout.

In fact I saw a beautiful LSWR coach on the Bluebell railway this past May when I was there. Kernow could lazer scan both the Adams' Radial and the LSWR coach at the same time :no: .

Cheers,

Chris

HI All

I came across this bit of info on the Wells tanks;

One of the Beatties was usually used as Wadebridge station pilot, and this photograph could well be 30586 detaching vans from a down train. She was frequently to be found on this duty as her water filler was less conveniently placed for taking water in Pencarrow Woods than the other two locos, so was rarely used for the Wenford Bridge clay trains, and though did work passenger services between Bodmin and Padstow

So it looks like only two of the class worked the line on a regular bases .

Looking at the photos - where are the water fillers anyway?? Never though to actually look before

• RMweb Premium

The problem with 30586 was in Pencarrow Woods. The famous shot of a well-tank being gravity-fed from a water-chute illustrates the normal means of watering the Wenford branch loco. This wasn't easy with '86 according to my late Great Uncle (a Wadebridge driver in his day) so she was the preferred choice for Wadebridge pilot or out of use altogether. That would be one reason why there are rather fewer shots of '86 in action in BR days compared with the others.

• RMweb Premium

The problem with 30586 was in Pencarrow Woods. The famous shot of a well-tank being gravity-fed from a water-chute illustrates the normal means of watering the Wenford branch loco. This wasn't easy with '86 according to my late Great Uncle (a Wadebridge driver in his day) so she was the preferred choice for Wadebridge pilot or out of use altogether. That would be one reason why there are rather fewer shots of '86 in action in BR days compared with the others.

Interestingly though, when the 13xx class took over the BWT duties they raised the height of the watershoot in the woods. You wonder why this was never done during the time of the BWTs to better suit 586.

I've also noticed iin photos that 585/7 often have a very shiney outer on their driving wheel hubs. I wonder if this was due to the driving wheels rubbing on the brake rods whilst going round the tight Wenford curves?

Just out of curiosity, does this model have a completely rigid frame or is there some form of springing such as Bachmann and Hornby have built into some of their engines such as the 08 or the J94?

Cheers,

David

This model is about as relevant to me as a gem encrusted crown from the renaissance period, but I hope it's brilliant. The pics Andy posted above certainly look promising, If Dapol can deliver the goods in terms of mechanism and finish quality then they have an utter classic on their hands and it also bodes well for the quality of other 4mm output due soon.

Lets wait a few more weeks until the BWT's actually arrive before trashing them. They are not a lot of BWT's in this run anyway so if your don't like them don't buy them. i don't think Kernow or Dapol will be hurt if you cancel your order. There are others that will take your place in line and don't mind your problems with the design. At this point they will be what they will be. I have two on order and wish I had ordered the third (30357). Not that I really need them. I am going to remove the BR branding on 30385 and return it to Southern livery, put a TCS decoder in them, put Kadees (not Kaydees) on them and enjoy the two I will be getting switching my version of Padstow or pulling a Wadebridge local passenger or mixed.

I am looking forward to the O2's as well and will accept whatever compromises are necessary to build and market a RTR model of an older prototype that survived a longer than normal time.

This model is about as relevant to me as a gem encrusted crown from the renaissance period, but I hope it's brilliant. The pics Andy posted above certainly look promising, If Dapol can deliver the goods in terms of mechanism and finish quality then they have an utter classic on their hands and it also bodes well for the quality of other 4mm output due soon.

But how much is down to Kernows persistance - earlier unapproved versions had all the horrors that N gauge modellers have had inflicted on them - grey wheels, large crosshead screws on the coupling rods and appalling logos and letters

But how much is down to Kernows persistance - earlier unapproved versions had all the horrors that N gauge modellers have had inflicted on them - grey wheels, large crosshead screws on the coupling rods and appalling logos and letters

Fair point, well made. Although the D63XX isn't looking too shabby either.

• RMweb Gold

It is all down to Kernow's original detailed specification and then to their persistence (working with Dapol) in getting the manufacturing factory to actually produce something in accordance with that specification, for each loco. For example when the wheels were changed to the correct colour (black) the factory also changed the coupling & connecting rod to black, so they then had to be altered back. It seems 'the trick' with the Chinese manufacturers is to make sure that the original specification and supplied drawings etc is all correct and to then take the time and make the effort to ensure they produce to the specification - and that involves an enormous amount of careful work on the part of the likes of Kernow, where Chris Trerise has put in all that care and effort.

• RMweb Premium

It seems 'the trick' with the Chinese manufacturers is to make sure that the original specification and supplied drawings etc is all correct and to then take the time and make the effort to ensure they produce to the specification - and that involves an enormous amount of careful work on the part of the likes of Kernow, where Chris Trerise has put in all that care and effort.

Yep, specify everything in such mind numbing detail that it's impossible to get wrong, leave absolutely nothing to interpretation. Time consuming and hence expensive if the time is being costed.

• RMweb Gold

Taking those comments and the amount of work and re-work these locos have generated £92 apiece is a pretty good bargain!

I couldn't agree more knowing just how much work has gone into this model...

On to the next one now....

..................................On to the next one now..............................

Absolutely. And with such a pedigree I can well believe that we will be in for another treat. I hope that I do not overstate the value of Kernow's manufacturing initiative, and I have the greatest of hopes that it will continue with a strong leaning to the ex-LSWR prototypes, both r-t-r and r-t-p.

PB

• RMweb Premium

Had a good chat with one of the guys from Kernow at the weekend when at Truro show and totally agree that their commitment to get this model as right as production and runability allows is a massive credit to them. To make a quick buck I get the impression they could have signed off and released much earlier but that's not they wanted. TBH the price of these beauties is well worth the time and effort they have put in. All reports are they run even better than the sentinel and the whole thing is substantially cheaper and better looking than I could manage from a kit build. Roll on the 22 and O2.

Oh and a vote too for the Radial!

I may be jumping the gun a little, but I can think of two new subthreads/topics for the BWT's when they finally arrive.

For the DCC users (I am one) Decoder selection: Bachmann, TCS or ESU have six pin decoders. I favor TCS simply because they are readily available for me here in the US and all my other decoders are TCS and I have had no DCC problems that can be traced to to the decoder with 12 conversions many hardwired. Others will certainly have an opinion.

Backdating the BR versions of 30587 and 30585 to Southern Maunsell post 1930's rebuild or Bulleid period livery. I am not sure they ever had the "Sunshine" lettering "SOUTHERN". My 3329 can stay as is. Graham could probably take this one on as he specializes in the 1946-48 period. An interesting and somewhat difficult challenge would be to return the trio to LSWR state.

For those of you who are really into 4mm, the challenge of EM and P4 conversion. Would the as is version benefit from any 16.5mm gauge finescale upgraded?

• RMweb Gold

Backdating the BR versions of 30587 and 30585 to Southern Maunsell post 1930's rebuild or Bulleid period livery. I am not sure they ever had the "Sunshine" lettering "SOUTHERN". My 3329 can stay as is. Graham could probably take this one on as he specializes in the 1946-48 period. An interesting and somewhat difficult challenge would be to return the trio to LSWR state.

For those of you who are really into 4mm, the challenge of EM and P4 conversion. Would the as is version benefit from any 16.5mm gauge finescale upgraded?

With resepct to backdating the models to pre there last rebuild in the Early 30s and again to pre their first rebuild ie LSWR condition would indeed be a challege wih only really the chassis being of any use!

As for Bulleid style liveries 3314 received Bulleid lettering and bunker numerals in 11/42 and around the same time so did 3329 but 3298 retained the Maunsell livery until Nationalisation.

30587 ex 3298 gained its British Railways number and initially British Railways in full in small gill sans in July 1948 30586 ex 3329 also gained British Railways in full on the square splasher but this was in Bulleid Sunshine style lettering being an earlier repaint in March 1948 (I will certainly be repainting at least one side of one of mine to this style!, I already have a number of locos in my fleet with such differing letting on one side) .

They gained their British Railways identiies as follows, all in unlined black: 3298 to 30587 7/48 , 3314 to 30585 11/48, 3329 to 30586 3/48

For those not wishing to repain and renumber it is certainly a posibility that a future batch might appear in one of these transition liveries / lettering conditions.

As for EM or P4 conversion, this should be possible as from what I have seen of the running the sample that I had to play with there is likely to be enough room to regauge.

Archived