Kernow Models Beattie Well Tank

Andy Y

Hi Peter.

I've fitted a Lenz Silver Mini+ to my BWT. No problems getting it in and runs superbly. A bit pricey compared to some other offerings.

BTW thats a very nice looking coach you have on the back in your pictures.

Regards

Ray.

Very many thanks to everyone who has added information to this thread in respect of my DCC query. Also thanks to John Russell (yet again) of Bromsgrove models who took back my surplus TCS decoder without a blink, and supplied a Digitrax DZ1251N, which fits and works perfectly.

In reponse to Ray's interest in the coach picture I posted earlier, it is a Northstar model of ex-LSWR Diagram 131 56ft 4 cmpt Corridor Brake Third (Weddell Vol 2 Chap 9 Drg 9.22), which I pair with a second Northstar model of a Diagram 410 56ft 6 cmpt Corridor Brake Composite (Weddell Drg 9.17). These were ex-mainline stock which had been cascaded down as they were superceded by Maunsell and then Bulleid new-builds. Such formations, and non-corridor stock could appear on any of the cross-country routes, or branches in the 1940s, and not-too-disimilar to the Padstow-Wadebridge-Bodmin North local passenger workings

So at risk of being only slightly OT, then, a pair of coaches contemporary to 3329

post-489-0-60450100-1317228429.jpg

The various glossy photo books of the NCR show how a BWT on station pilot duty would back onto a fitted van that had travelled from Okehampton behind a passenger train, and then be shunted into Wadebridge shed for unloading. One of the T9s used in the immediate postwar period was Number 283. Actually, the pictures of that time show 283 as being exceptionally grimy, but on my layout I still have cleaners.

283 at the head of a 2-coach cross-country, with 3329 removing a 12ton fitted van, prior to shunting into the goods road.

post-489-0-81901800-1317228476.jpg

(Self edit, typo corrected to Diagram Number for Brake Third)

Hi Peter.

I thought that coach looked familiar, at the risk of being OOT here's another pair. A D131 Brake Third and a D410 Compo, again by Northstar. I was put onto Northstar after seeing a Push/Pull (or is that a Pull/Push) set on Fisherton Sarum and i think i was lucky to have got the last few available from the ex.LSWR production. Not sure what the difference is between the D131 and D132 they both look pretty similar from the photos. I've been trying to get hold of Weddell Vol2 for some time, but it's quite elusive.

3329.JPG

Regards

Ray.

• RMweb Premium

One single loco so far has been noted with inverted con-rods. Hardly a big problem in the scheme of things and probably an unfortunate finishing error which can be easily rectified.

I use Woodland Scenics "lump coal" stuck with Mekpak in all my loco tenders / bunkers. It generally adheres well over the top of moulded "plastic coal". From memory the well tanks also carried lumps of coal on the footplate at times which could also be represented easily enough and is a job for the same day that the loco crew are added.

Hi Peter.

I thought that coach looked familiar, at the risk of being OOT here's another pair. A D131 Brake Third and a D410 Compo, again by Northstar. I was put onto Northstar after seeing a Push/Pull (or is that a Pull/Push) set on Fisherton Sarum and i think i was lucky to have got the last few available from the ex.LSWR production. Not sure what the difference is between the D131 and D132 they both look pretty similar from the photos. I've been trying to get hold of Weddell Vol2 for some time, but it's quite elusive.

3329.JPG

Regards

Ray.

Hello Ray,

I see another embryo ex-LSWR layout! Please tell us more! Also, thank you for kindly pointing out my typo, D132 is/was a very similar corridor brake third, but had an external single sliding door to the guards compartment.I believe that Adrian may have produced one of these, but I missed it.

I shall keep my eyes open for a spare Vol 2.

Our forum leaders are remarkably tolerant when it comes to off-topic items. I think that we should be ok with ex-LSWR coaches, though, as long as they were contemporary with the BWT, could have been seen together, and the picture includes both!

Hello Ray,

I see another embryo ex-LSWR layout! Please tell us more!

Hi Peter.

Somewhere in the far flung reaches of the west country, a small (fictitious) holiday resort with local fishing fleet and the occasional mineral traffic from the local mine workings................You know the rest!

Regards

Ray.

I fear that my Well Tank may have got lost in the post. I have had 3329 on pre-order for two years. According to Kernow M.R.C. , and my Visa statement, It was despatched to me on the 17th. of Sept. but I have not as yet recieved it. Today is the 4th. of Oct. . Usually mail posted from the U.K. to Canada takes up to ten days to arrive.

I recently purchased an item on ebay which was located on Jersey, Channel Islands. It was posted on the 26th. Sept. and arrived today ! Thats 8 days.

Trying to be patient, I keep waiting that it will turn up soon.

Chris

Chris,

Have no fear, Kernow does a good job with their mailings even if Canada Post tries our patience. My Sentinel took a bit over a week but it was a "sign for " delivery so Kernow could probably give you a tracking number. I had a set of Ultrascales that took over 2 weeks, no logic to it at all. Canada Post moves in mysterious ways especially if the mail has to pass through Gateway in darkest Mississauga.

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Gold

Apparently mine is still on the high seas betwixt China & Falmouth..., but I don't have to worry about posting from Kernow MRC - they are 5 mins away from my work. :pardon:

Ok, ok - don't rub it in! We could all do with having such a progressive and respected retailer/manufacturer in our backyard! I live 25 miles from Le Mans, which has about 200,000 residents, yet apparently cannot muster a half-decent model railway shop. [On the other hand, it does have a healthy club, and I greatly enjoyed their annual exhibition on Sunday, celebrating 35 years. There seems to be a real initiative in France to get young people involved in our hobby, and one large end-to-end layout had periods of operation by kids of both sexes in the 10-12 year bracket, using telephones to agree among them occupancy of the single line sections. Impressive.]

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile mine have to travel from China to Cornwall to Australia which seems an inordinately roundabout way to get here but if we cut out the middle-man we risk depriving ourselves of a thoroughly good business.

• RMweb Gold

Just checked my credit card account and see that Kernow have just charged my account....for the exact amount of the Well Tanks ordered. Looking at my Kernow Order History see that the Well Tanks have moved to the top of the list.....

Does this mean that arrival is imminent :O :no: ?

Keith

OK, the batches are arriving in stock about once a month (early September, early October. This means that I can except my 30585 and 30587 in mid November! (note to self, correlation is not causality!)

More interesting is that there are less than 20 of the SR liveried models available. WELL DONE KERNOW to have nearly sold out an additional batch! When they announced the SR loco, I can't have been the only one thinking this might be a model that was sitting on their shelves for a few months, eventually being snapped up by those disappointed to have missed the BR batches. I can't help but think that releasing it first, whether by design or accident (simpler livery, approved earlier) has had something to do with it; a percentage of sales must have come from the "must be first with a new model" folk, or even those who wanted to redo 30586 as a late crest loco (the amount of work not being too different from starting the a BR version given differences in number position, smokebox number aside)

Just checked my credit card account and see that Kernow have just charged my account....for the exact amount of the Well Tanks ordered. Looking at my Kernow Order History see that the Well Tanks have moved to the top of the list.....

Keith

Which model did you order?

• RMweb Gold

Which model did you order?

......all three BR livery ones......two ordered as soon as they were announced and the third one a few weeks ago :scratchhead:......Kernow,according to my order history, have merged the two orders so don't pay postage on the most recent order :boast:

Keith

Hip hip hooray! My Well Tank, SR 3329 arrived safely today. 17 days from when it was posted. It even had a By Air Mail sticker on it ! My guess is that it must have got tied up by Canada Post somewhere.

What a lovely model. Well done Kernow, and Dapol. I have test run it on my layout and it runs perfectly.

Now to wait for the Adams 02.

it has been well worth the wait for the Well Tanks. I wonder what will follow the 02's ? Perhaps the Adams 0415 class Radial Tanks ?

Congratulations to Kernow M.R.C. and Dapol. I wish you both every success for future endeavours.

Cheers,

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Keith

Things are progressing :sungum: . Just got the e:mail from Kernow saying that 30585 and 30586 have been packed in their mail room and will be despatched as soon as possible.....

Not long to wait :danced: Now, where did I put that box containing the china clay wagons :) .

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I'm certainly looking forward to mine. Not sure if they will be shipped as available and as I reach top of the list or whether Kernow will wait for all three and ship them together but either way I'm busily preparing the yard for their arrival!

Archived