Kernow Models Beattie Well Tank

Andy Y

It is the 'putting a model through its' paces' by a goodly number of purchasers that I enjoy so much on internet forums. This quickly surfaces any models with mechanical shortcomings; often with the bonus of tried and effective rectification methods. Despite the manifest attractions of this model I am resistant to it, unless I can find a Doncaster design that needs its' chassis...

• RMweb Gold

review in October MR points out a few things that have not been mentioned on here, namely pickups (only) being on the 4 driving wheels. This is a shame, thought the front wheels were also going to be 'wired'.

Also notes the chimney shape (surprise surprise) and lack of dome recess, and weight (not v.heavy just over 100g). But appreciation of the detail, chassis looks and smooth slow running! And some GREAT pictures of the model.

Go out and by the mag.

One thing not mentioned but visible on the pics is the cylinder drain cock linking rod. WOW a first for RTR!!

Looking forward to the BR versions and a white metal chimney from someone, somewhere...!!

As Black Rat has already reconfirmed the model does have pick ups on all wheels so I am not sure how MR missed that. Although the model might appear light its haulage power that I have previsoulsy tested myself, is well beyond that of the originals.

THe MR review comments that 3329 (30586) had a different chimney to the other two. It was apparently parallel whilst the other two had tapered chimneys. So it would appear the the chimney modelled is incorrect for this one engine.

Should be ok for the other 2 though.

I am not sure where MR have picked this up from as the pictures I have seen of 3329 in the livery being modelled (I can not post them here due to copyright issues) clearly show a standard Drummond style chimney with taper and not a parallel one. As with their statement on pick ups magazines are not always correct....

In answer to the question 'when will the BR versions arrive?' I received this response from Kernow on Sept 7th when I asked the same question:

Well, the Southern one is on the high seas as we speak and is due any week now. The BR versions are currently in production in China and should be with us before the end of the year. But we then have about 3,000 to send out so that could take up to 2 months to complete. So I guess around January/February time would be a rough guess.

I hope that this helps.

Tim

I am not sure where MR have picked this up from as the pictures I have seen of 3329 in the livery being modelled (I can not post them here due to copyright issues) clearly show a standard Drummond style chimney with taper and not a parallel one. As with their statement on pick ups magazines are not always correct....

Ironically they have an article about the Well Tanks after the review showing a picture of 30586 with the Drummond chimney so the evidence it was the same is on the very next page :no:

• RMweb Gold

The main thing is the mags look perhaps at a review in a different way, lots of technical/historical stuff but few actually put a model through its real paces.

Me thinks, I'm going to resurrect the 'Planet Killer' one more time when mine arrives :D :D

I noticed that the picture of the Southern liveried model of 3329 in MR has a smooth buffer beam, (without rivitts) as does the picture of 30586 at Wadebridge on the next pages, but looking at other pics in this thread the many rivitts look to be in place on the front buffer beam. So looks like 30586 was the odd one out in this respect which has been correctly reflected on the models.

A good reveiw of the model Blackrat, your very lucky to get your hands on one so soon.

• RMweb Gold

Bubbles,

Indeed whilst on the face it of two body moulding are required, round splasher and square splasher, in fact each of the three are completely different mouldings to take into account the differences with rivet details etc.

As Black Rat has already reconfirmed the model does have pick ups on all wheels so I am not sure how MR missed that. Although the model might appear light its haulage power that I have previsoulsy tested myself, is well beyond that of the originals.

I don't make comments like that off the top of my head. It was done after four other people, including one with closer Beattie knowledge than me, made the same comment without prompting. I then checked photos on file here and I stand by the comments I made. I am taking the pictures to Model Rail Live this weekend. As Kernow have sent me pictures to show that they are right, I will show them the pictures on which my comment was based, and which I believe bear out my comments. My original review did point out that, while I considered the chimney shape was too flared, even for the flared chimney, it did not bother me that much. That caveat was taken out when the piece was edited.

I apologise for missing the pick-ups on the leading wheelset.

CHRIS LEIGH

Just had an email from KMRC to say that one 3329 is on its way. S'funny, but I have no doubts as to my verdict.

Tuesday will be club afternoon on the club running circuit, and I have already chosen the suitable ex-LSW non-corridor 3-set (in malachite) for the test exercise. I hope to post a piccy or two.

PB

Thank you for your order. The following items have now been packed in our mail room and will be despatched as soon as possible: -

10014508 K2054 Dapol 2-4-0WT Beattie Well Tank Steam Locomotive 3329

Intrastat: , Country of Origin: China, Fabric Content:

Mistakes happen with reviews. I completely missed the detail pack for hornbys tornado model in a YouTube video. Easy to edit in an apology and correction. The more video reviews I do for my channel, the more I appreciate the hard work that goes into the modelling nag reviews on a monthly basis. No one is infallible but we do seem to think magazines should be. 

All said, it was the 4VEP in the same issue that raised eyebrows for me, but re-reading the review this week after having the model to hand, much of what is written I agree with, with the caveat that the traction Tyres are completely unnecessary in 2011.

Mistakes happen with reviews. I completely missed the detail pack for hornbys tornado model in a YouTube video. Easy to edit in an apology and correction. The more video reviews I do for my channel, the more I appreciate the hard work that goes into the modelling mag reviews on a monthly basis. No one is infallible but we do seem to think magazines should be. 

All said, it was the 4VEP in the same issue that raised eyebrows for me, but re-reading the review this week after having the model to hand, much of what is written I agree with, with the caveat that the traction Tyres are completely unnecessary in 2011.

Mr Martin, if you were being intentially ironic with the typos ("hornbys" and "nag" rather than "Hornby's" and "mag") and duplication, well done, else, ooops!!!

Further comment regarding the chimney of 30586. I've searched pics on Flickr (including some very high res ones!), and am inclined to say the chimney of 586 looks near parallel in some shots, especially one with the early crest. Other later pics including on semg look tapered, I was going to suggest that it may have had a chimney change at some point, however after looking at the date of on of the l/c pics (summer '62) this is unlikely. Either way, the chimney on this loco does look different from the other two.

Early Crest, potentially parallel chimney

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64215236@N03/6056148569/

Late Crest, potentially parallel chimney Summer '62

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16749798@N08/3017310328/

Late Crest, potentially parallel chimney

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47835032@N00/2310266881/

Well, it has arrived. At nine forty ack emma, my village postie marched up my path, and I almost snatched the parcel from his hand.

The packaging and contents were all in perfect condition. If I might deal with one subject that has exercised various minds, namely the shape of Mr Drummond's chimney. Bradley's masterpiece on LSWR locos has a number of high quality photos (in Vol One) of the three BWTs after their 1930s rebuilding. Even allowing for possible barrel distortion by antique lenses, it is clear to me that all three locos have identical albeit a slight upwards/outwards taper of the chimney. Now, I am prepared to believe that someone with a vernier caliper might demonstrate that the model taper is marginally greater than that found on the prototype. But a blind man would be glad to see it, and it does not detract in any way from my pride of ownership.

post-489-0-41729600-1316511221.jpg

post-489-0-56725300-1316511254.jpg

By ten fifteen ack emma my new toy was doing what it should at "Minster on Fosse", with the first coach that came to hand. Running in both directions (Hammant and Morgan DC) was perfect, as was every detail that I have had time to examine. I particularly admired the fact that the wooden rear buffer beam and mounting were correctly portrayed; number 3329/30586 was different from the others in this respect. I must now order my 6-pin decoder.

At risk of overstatement, this must be one of the all-time best r-t-r- locos, and at an affordable price. Usual disclaimer in respect of KMRC, but I take my hat off to the design and production team.

PB

'At risk of overstatement, this must be one of the all-time best r-t-r- locos'

No overstatement at all PB. I ran mine for the first time last night and it performed flawlessly. The slowest, stutter-free crawl I have ever seen from an r-t-r model in fact. And a reasonable amount of pulling power too for such a small locomotive. You could easily run out of superlatives here so I'll leave it at unqualified congratulations to all concerned.

Tony

Its probably been said before, but the brains behind this (ie Kernow) obviously had a good concept of contractual standards here with the manufacturer, and stuck rigidly to the levels that they specified before accepting the finished product. Good on them! I say.

Not a bash at Dapol either as the manufacturer, but a reality check; if it had been a (note:any) manufacturer based model instead of a commision, would the standards have been lower I wonder? I tend to think yes, with commercial factors having a strong influence in the factory environment. And as a mass produced item (rather than ltd edition) it probably would have been at a lower price, also influencing the final standard.

It puts Dapol in a strong light, after the success of the ModelRail Sentinel & now the BWT. Shows that they are capable of high standards (I think I'm not the only one who was unsure tbh!); well done to them too. Perhaps puts the predicted prices of some of their own releases into perspective too; if you want quality it does come at a price. Cutting corners on development costs may result in a cheaper product but inevitably a lowering of standards.

Stewart

Its probably been said before

Maybe, but it's pleasing to see such posts that grasp the commercial concepts involved in such projects which hopefully serve to encourage understanding in delivery forecasts, price points and overall standards.

Hi Stewart,

i think you do Dapol a disservice as we could make for ourselves at this kind of standard, and i am looking to unleash the 10000 and 22 upon you all soon to prove it.

Shame there's not an icon here for blowing your own trumpet, as i'd probably be using it here.

Where the Beattie project was first mooted, the specifications came from Dapol, which were readily agreed to by Kernow as they parralel current model railway thinking. The design of the chassis mechanism was also done by myself at Dapol and Kernow had no hand in this either.

However as we laid down a great set of 'rules' as to what was expected regarding the model and we were both on the same hymn sheet it was, like the Sentinel before, it rather easy to do.

Chris must be congratulated for 'giving me my head' (no tittering at the back) and letting me loose on what was the most important part (IMHO) as if it runs like a dog it does'nt matter if it looks like a Rolls Royce. However Chris knew what he wanted and subsequent tweeks were made at his suggestion to make things better, and what you see with the Beattie is a welcome meeting of minds. Chris's fastideousness to getting it looking 'just so' combined with Dapol's ability to manufacture to an agreed standard have proved once again that we are here to stay in the OO locomotive business.

All coming from an after dinner meeting at Yeovilton 2 years ago and a throw away remark :mail:

Now for the equally, if not better O2 and i have 1 or 2 nice ideas for that as well.

Thanks Chris, it's been a great start :yes:

cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

The original forecast for the BWTs was September last year though that may have been unrealistically optimistic. To be fair there were test shots on show at that stage. That it has taken another year and more to get from test shot to running on customer layouts shows just how much attention to detail - and therefore time and money - has been input by the Kernow team and Dapol in getting this not just right but as spot on as can be reasonably done in a 1:76 mss-produced model.

I am certainly looking forward to mine arriving. It will have been a very worthwhile wait.

Archived