Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

11 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Blaenau Ffestiniog Central by katerfelto

A somewhat earlier view looking in the other direction. Scanned from an old photographic postcard in my collection:

blff.jpg.3f0c577d469dc6d5c9cb6aa6183894c9.jpg

Anyone care to guess a date on this?

Mol

• Like 13

A couple more of the same place, and probably similarly early.

Aerial view in colour, this is postmarked 1904 so can't be later than that:

blff2.jpg.5d75da5f50bfe79bb4ceb69df25fdc92.jpg

And a better view of the viaduct, and beyond it the loco shed which was some distance from the station:

blff3.jpg.8b0b56419fd0c52be5332f4fba627067.jpg

• Like 7

The caption:

An unidentified Hymek departs the station with a Paddington train on 9th June 1973. Just look at all those fruit vans stabled!

What kind of fruit vans would be at Moreton-in-Marsh?

Moreton in Marsh

A few years later....

Moreton-in-Marsh station (7), 1998

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

43 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

The caption:

Moreton in Marsh

A few years later....

And massively changed again these days, with the siding and bay gone. Really liked it in the mid 90's (lived there 1996-1998 whilst Dad was stationed at the fire college), used to be great in the evenings, Networker in one platform, another in the siding, to let the pm HST through onto the single-track section. Lovely walk over the fields from the housing estate to the footbridge, see the signalbox. I gather the fields to the right are mostly under new houses, and the footbridge is a modern job too now. Streetview still shows the signal box and semaphores in place last April thpugh, so not all lost.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Grant Lyon Eagre

Grant Lyon Eagre Grant Lyon Eagre Ltd shunter on loaded ballast Ruston Hornsby 425478/1959

Not on Flickr but YouTube, just spotted this on a video that came up on my feed:

Screenshot_20240213-163643_YouTube.jpg.65bd1598e50ab12c3f442098a0261b44.jpg

Laying some ballast on the BSC line at Tinsley (from 10:20 on video).

After this, a tamper and track crew visits to complete the job.

https://youtu.be/q821GJpEVqE?si=g0uOY2U-1cm-5TLS

Edited by keefer
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

GWR and BR Fruit Cs and Ds.

Lasted well into the 1970s and then many of them ended up as Departmental stock.

Jason

Though all the vans in the photos appear to be standard 12t ventilated vans....  Might I suggest that they are either in store, or being used for seasonal fertiliser/ animal feed traffic? 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

The caption:

Moreton in Marsh

A few years later....

The vans on the right would be stored , either going back into traffic or condemed , the siding on the left handled full loads , in September of that year there was fertiliser from ICI Severn Beach which was possibly what the vans in shot were carrying

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

There's a photo on page 11 of "British Railway Goods Wagons In Colour (Robert Hendry) of vans being stored on the closed Shipton line, the 'siding on the right. The photo, taken in 1971, shows BR standard vans stretching into the distance on the single line branch.

• Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

The caption:

Moreton in Marsh

A few years later....

That spot looks really inspirational for a shunting layout.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MattR said:

That spot looks really inspirational for a shunting layout.

Plus the dairy/creamery.

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/moreton_marsh.htm

empty milk tank wagons were conveyed to Moreton in goods trains and put on the line behind the branch platform. From here they were gravitated down the slight gradient and positioned alongside the diary for loading, after which they were gravitated to the spur beyond to wait collection. The loaded wagons were dispatched to London at the rear of up passenger trains which, after calling at the platform (with passengers on board) were backed in to the spur to collect them.

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrmm995.htm

Close up of three empty Great Western Railway Siphons standing in Moreton-in-Marsh's creamery.

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrmm987a.htm

• Like 3

On 27/01/2024 at 18:09, Mol_PMB said:

"I'm 2C55!"

"No, I'm 2C55!"

Taxi Replacement Bus service for Spartacus 2C55!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 08/02/2024 at 20:02, MattR said:

There are a bunch of photos on Flickr of various diesel locomotives wearing a Star Trek reference -- "RESISTANCE IS FUTILE" headboard. All the photos date from either 2020 or 2013. Any idea what the headboard was for?

47596, Burrs

37510 "Orion" at Clay Cross on 26th Jan 2021

Headboard

I’d be willing to bet it’s some sort of private joke with whoever signs the traction and a few mates.

Most definitely leaves the rest of us thinking WTF? 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Matt37268 said:

I’d be willing to bet it’s some sort of private joke with whoever signs the traction and a few mates.

Most definitely leaves the rest of us thinking WTF? 

I might have to get LightRailwayStores to make me up one 😁

• Like 1

On 13/02/2024 at 12:37, KeithMacdonald said:

The caption:

Moreton in Marsh

Why is there an assumption these are fruit vans and not simple standard vanfits? At that distance it is difficult to see the small side vents which would distinguish them as Fruit vans. No sign of larger Fruit Ds etc. 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brfruitvan

When I took a rake of vans in Moreton in 1978 they were all standard Vanfits. 

Paul

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Why is there an assumption these are fruit vans and not simple standard vanfits?

You will have to ask Paul Townsend, it's his comment on Flickr

An unidentified Hymek departs the station with a Paddington train on 9th June 1973. Just look at all those fruit vans stabled!

16 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Tipplers living up to their name...

Leekbrook Junction 1977 by David Blower

A walk around Leek Brook Junction in 1977

The caption to this makes for interesting reading:

This was a runaway caused by the guard not pinning down sufficient facing brakes at Ipstones Summit, I recall the tipplers were recovered to the Park Sidings number two road where some of the lesser damaged wagons (about five I think) with broken springs had had the concrete lids of the cable troughs inserted over their axle boxes to make them safe to be moved where they were cut up a few weeks later. Further up by the small stone arch bridge a wooden body Hybar wagon had come off the road narrowly missing the lane edge below, all these other wagons were cut up in situ and the spent ballast used to remake the formation. The runnaway loco with remaining wagons attached was turned down the Churnet Valley by signalman late Eddy Hambleton where the (I think 25) ran through the gates at Cheddleton destroying the last wooden crossing gate, the other three were those horrid tubular metal replacement ones. Regular signalman the late Ken Faulkner was also on duty at Leekbrook at the same time

I was trying to picture the course of events and I couldn’t work out how the train separated and two parts ran away including (by my reading of it) one part derailing but the other part including the loco not coming into conflict with it. Could anyone shed any light on this possibly?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Cowley 47521 said:

I was trying to picture the course of events and I couldn’t work out how the train separated and two parts ran away including (by my reading of it) one part derailing but the other part including the loco not coming into conflict with it. Could anyone shed any light on this possibly?

I'm not familiar with the incident, but if the wagons overpowered the loco, causing the runaway, perhaps the rear part of the train derailed, uncoupling from the front part of the train in the process. The front part then continued down the hill to be diverted on to the Churnet Valley line?

1 hour ago, Moxy said:

I'm not familiar with the incident, but if the wagons overpowered the loco, causing the runaway, perhaps the rear part of the train derailed, uncoupling from the front part of the train in the process. The front part then continued down the hill to be diverted on to the Churnet Valley line?

Yes I see what you mean and reading it again that could well be what happened.

I wonder what sort of speed the loco took the curve before Leekbrook Junction? I can imagine that part of the train picking up a hell of a speed running away down that bank even with some of the brakes partially working!