Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

On 02/03/2024 at 17:32, montyburns56 said:

Goodrington Sands 1978 by John Whitehouse

Climbing out of Goodrington

Interesting- does the Western have white-walled tyres, or is it a trick of the light?

20 minutes ago, Ben B said:

Interesting- does the Western have white-walled tyres, or is it a trick of the light?

It did, was done up with a few embellishments for railtours - silvered buffers, red-backed nameplates, 'whitewalled' tyres etc

• Like 4

On 02/03/2024 at 13:54, Will Crompton said:

10202 in all its brutalist diesel-punk glory. Uploaded to Flickr by Colin Alexander.

BR 1Co-Co1 diesel-electric prototype 10202 at Derby

I encountered this picture in a Flickr gallery entitled 'British Railways Rarities - the early years' curated by 'The Mighty Hood'.

There are some splendid photographs of early diesels here. It is well worth a browse. However I must warn viewers of a sensitive disposition that it contains one or two pictures of.....of......the 'Awful Thing.'

Ha-ha. I assume you refer to the Fell' locomotive :)  luckily I averted my eyes in time!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

On 02/03/2024 at 13:54, Will Crompton said:

However I must warn viewers of a sensitive disposition that it contains one or two pictures of.....of......the 'Awful Thing.'

This thing?

10100 Derby Mid. 3/6/57 MM 271

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

58 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

This thing?

In the 3rd Hannibal Lecter novel by Thomas Harris, 'Hannibal', the fearsome Lecter is hiding out in Florence where he uses the alias, "Dr Fell." Coincidence? I think not.

Edited by Will Crompton
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Western Ranger had red backed nameplates during its last few months of service. It was withdrawn at the end of February 1977, so the photo would have been taken in the locos first year of preservation. 

• Like 3

At Exeter Central, thanks to geoff7918

A little help from the rear - 45 065 gives a helping hand to a heavy ballast working hauled by a class 33. The loco has banked the train up the steep gradient from Exeter St David's to Exeter Central station, the train originated at Meldon Quarry. 24/03/1983

A little help from the rear

• Like 19

1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

This thing?

On careful reflection, it still (to me) looks like a Frankenstein child of a directive from the Accountants (to only use spare parts left over from other designs) given to a bad-tempered designer with a monumental hangover and a brutal hatred for anything elegant or stylish. But maybe I'm being too kind?

• Funny 6

Speaking of Peaks --- I've never seen this livery before: the BR blue with black hood, cantrail and white outlines on the window frames and grilles, and the amazing stack of crest, nameplate, shed plate, number and data panels on the side. Manchester Victoria 1987.

• Like 14

9 minutes ago, MattR said:

Speaking of Peaks --- I've never seen this livery before: the BR blue with black hood, cantrail and white outlines on the window frames and grilles, and the amazing stack of crest, nameplate, shed plate, number and data panels on the side. Manchester Victoria 1987.

There were a few 45/1s so embellished towards the end.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Will Crompton said:

In the 3rd Hannibal Lecter novel by Thomas Harris, 'Hannibal', the fearsome Lecter is hiding out in Florence where he uses the alias, "Dr Fell." Coincidence? I think not.

Interesting photo, that must have been its last overhaul when it was painted green - at last it's possible to know which side is which, it had a left facing crest this side and right facing on the other.

The second photo in his collection is even more interesting, taken four months after 10100 was withdrawn (because of high maintenance costs, not the usually quoted fire or catastrophic failure) and it seems to be still intact.

• Informative/Useful 3

58 minutes ago, MattR said:

My stepbrother and I were hanging out at New Street one summer Saturday around then on our way to Nottingham, 45104 rolled in looking exactly like the photo above but we turned down catching it to Derby as we wanted to stay a bit longer where we were. We ended up getting 45145 a couple of hours later so that was good for us.

Tinsley went all in with livening their various fleets up in that era. I think all of the Peaks left at the end had unofficial painted on names? What made 45104 different of course was that they used its original name and they actually made some replica(ish) nameplates for it (out of wood I assume?).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Smithywood Coking Plant 1986 by Gordon Edgar

Smithywood Interal-user Wagons

Nice weathering guideline pic. So I can trash my little 4 wheel wagons 😈

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, dave75 said:

You say that but how similar is the windscreen arrangement to the 23/37/40 or is that just me?

Designed at Derby in the late 1940s, so probably very close to the twins.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Tinsley went all in with livening their various fleets up in that era. I think all of the Peaks left at the end had unofficial painted on names? What made 45104 different of course was that they used its original name and they actually made some replica(ish) nameplates for it (out of wood I assume?).

Do you happen to know what the little grey, blue and red marking on the nose signifies?

4 minutes ago, MattR said:

Do you happen to know what the little grey, blue and red marking on the nose signifies?

Is it not just a faded NSE logo sticker, applied upside-down?

Edited by hexagon789
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, hexagon789 said:

Is it not just a faded NSE logo sticker, applied upside-down?

See this class 47. That' s probably what it is...

47573, Heyford, March 1990

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

Maybe it’s reverse Network Southeast — Network Northwest. 

Now I really want a Bachmann Class 45 and alter it with all these wild additions!

Edited by MattR
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, MattR said:

Maybe it’s reverse Network Southeast

Eastsouth-Worknet! 

or...Tsaehtuos-Krowten. (Supreme leader of the twerking-from-home.)

It's late...  

• Funny 2

10 hours ago, MattR said:

Maybe it’s reverse Network Southeast — Network Northwest. 

Now I really want a Bachmann Class 45 and alter it with all these wild additions!

Network NorthWest was different though. Only a handful of units got it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66289212@N07/36978660864/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johannes-j-smit/3185004736

Jason