Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

1 minute ago, Steamport Southport said:

Network NorthWest was different though. Only a handful of units got it.

Jason

Network Far East had more rateable traction (photo on Flickr from Colin Smith because my own pics aren't to hand right now)

Lindong Station

• Like 11

On 29/02/2024 at 17:58, montyburns56 said:

Horwich: A Ken Loach Film

Thanks for that link. I think this one from that set shows the site of the engine shed for the 18 inch gauge system, the white lean-to structure on the side of what was the Erecting Shop.

Horwich Works* n

0120Horwich-Railway-LocoshedwithZM9steam.jpg.7b6e5ef88793e77471ce654c94d42fa8.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 33C said:

Eastsouth-Worknet! 

or...Tsaehtuos-Krowten. (Supreme leader of the twerking-from-home.)

It's late...  

NextWeekSouthWorst

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Evidently some sort of gauging or bridge maintenance train judging by the rigs on the two open wagons.

North British BG next to the brake van. I don't recognise the saloon; I assume it did not survive?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

Evidently some sort of gauging or bridge maintenance train judging by the rigs on the two open wagons.

North British BG next to the brake van. I don't recognise the saloon; I assume it did not survive?

Sadly, no it didn't.  It was scheduled for preservation but was damaged in a shunting accident in 1968 and subsequently scrapped.

Although the coach didn't survive, some of its internal fittings did and are now at Chasewater Railway museum.

https://chasewaterrailwaymuseum.blog/category/museum-artefacts/

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

More accurately it is Edinburgh & on mainline opposite Craigentinny Carriage Sidings. Portobello power station in background. 

The coach tended to live in edges Waverley Station & shame didn’t survive. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The open wagons with the platforms and frames along with the gauge on the end next to the saloon look like tunnel inspection wagons.

• Agree 1

I’ve got a couple of photos, very poor ones, that I took of D7018 sometime around then at Redhill, where it used to materialise fairly often on the freight from Reading. It lives at Minehead now, I think, but I seem to remember it spent a while stored at the old gasworks at Reading along with another loco (or am I getting mixed-up with D7029), then went to Didcot, after it was withdrawn from BR.

PS: D7029 and D821 were the ones at the gasworks.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

When you consider most large cities kept one of their main stations after the steam period albeit reduced complexity in track layout as years progresssed, Bradford really got hit didn't it.  Both stations eventually demolished and replaced with smaller affairs, most apparent here with Forster Square.

• Agree 3