Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

I’m fairly sure that pan/shoes was via a changeover contactor(s), but I haven’t got the schematic any more, so can’t be certain.

Very, very good locos, and a great pity that there wasn’t the work for them. I always used to enjoy seeing and hearing the Night Ferry or a train of Spanish onions burst through the narrow bridge at the country end of Tonbridge station, ghostly whistle screeching.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Nice to see one with the panto up. Were the shoes still live in that situation? If so, the staff on the ground must have had to be careful not to brush past. 

That's made me think of the caravan I bought on which my electrician discovered during testing that the previous owner had added a second mains electricity plug/inlet for connecting "shore" power, on the opposite side of the caravan to the factory-fitted plug, at toddler height.

Not a railway story except that the caravan was for seasonal staff at the Perrygrove Railway.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

56048 & 47379 Hither Green 1991 by Andy French

56048-47379 Hither Green 0143 Ripple lane to Hither Green 9-4-91  216

When I read the caption I thought "Blimey a class 56 and a Jinty on the mainline??? And that Jinty behind the 56 was working hard".... That 56 is in need of some serious attention.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

On 16/09/2022 at 18:53, montyburns56 said:

I love the contrast between the brand new HST and the old parcel vans in the siding.

Swindon 1976 Phil Wakely

Prototype HST at Swindon in October 1976

I think that is the North Sidings on the up side at Swindon station. There were often vans and sometimes DMUs standing there either going to or coming from Swindon Works. The parcels vans might also be one of the empty newsvans trains heading back to Old Oak Common, the Malago Vale to Old Oak news van train called at Swindon to detach/attach,

cheers 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This one caught my eye the other day, 16 September 1968.  I have been looking at economy green Peaks, D11-D15, to match the TMC ones that are on the way.  I believe D14 would have gone "economy" in 1966, so she didn't last long in service before this accident damage.  Which accident though?  I've poked around the accident report sites and can't seem to find a match...

48928640107_d3758ce2f9_b.jpg45015 p by Steve Thorpe, on Flickr

Edited by TheEngineShed
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3