Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

12 hours ago, 03060 said:

Great photo, she still lives in the area just up the road at Bradford Industrial Museum.

Regards,

Ian.

20210613_143045.jpg.9d73664d2163f196b74e051b9f7b465a.jpg

The loco is in very good nick too- shame the Industrial Museum itself feels a bit neglected, but then that's a decade of council funding cuts, and two years of Covid I suppose...

Interestingly the diesel loco from Esholt still survives too as far as I know, out of use though, at Crossley Evans yard in Shipley. Used to be frequently operated for the scrap trains, but since the whole debacle of NR trying to sell the yard out from under them to a supermarket chain, there's been no rail traffic. They seem curiously reluctant to scrap their shunters, even though they must be rusted to the tracks by now.

At Esholt itself, there's a very impressive girder bridge over the Leeds-Liverpool canal that's easy to access, and in the woods along the towpath you can find the odd sleeper and rail chair in the winter :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Was that a wagon repairs location? Both tanks looking freshly painted

I'm not 100% certain, but I'm fairly sure your correct. Just north of Tipton Owen Street station there was a triangular junction off the Stour Valley line on the 'Up' (to Birmingham) line. The wagon repair works were located within the triangle. The third leg off the triangle was a loop down to Wednesbury (ex. LNWR) which connected the the ex. LNWR line from Dudley via Great Bridge to Wednesbury.

Davey

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hippel said:

Loving the shunter's attire! Cardigan and wellies!

Paul

I'm sure that I've seen him before somewhere .... that's it ..... Arun Quay !!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davey said:

I'm not 100% certain, but I'm fairly sure your correct. Just north of Tipton Owen Street station there was a triangular junction off the Stour Valley line on the 'Up' (to Birmingham) line. The wagon repair works were located within the triangle. The third leg off the triangle was a loop down to Wednesbury (ex. LNWR) which connected the the ex. LNWR line from Dudley via Great Bridge to Wednesbury.

Davey

South Staffs Wagon Repairs ?

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

On 06/09/2022 at 22:23, Davey said:

Thanks, I think you could be correct.

Davey

Yes. South Staffs Wagon Works. First time I sneaked in was with Dave Larkin on a freezing January afternoon and we walked in under that over bridge. I found it again when on my own (I have no idea how I found it) and there was no problem in getting permission to go around with the camera. It closed soon afterwards. A lot of unusual wagons in there. https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/southstaffsworks

Of course, the way the shunter is dressed would be typical of a private works. He isn't a BR person. 

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

The tank was indeed for air for the Westinghouse system, Note too the cow (camel? WD 307, now preserved on the SVR, was derailed by a camel) catcher and double cab roof to help keep cab temperatures tolerable. There are no markings, either number or the WD symbols, to be seen.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 08/09/2022 at 19:11, montyburns56 said:

Wednesfield Road Goods Depot

Wednesfield Road Goods Depot, November 1983

EBR14-037

Wolverhampton (Wednesfield Road goods depot) 37717 6T43 1225 to Bescot Yard 070392

In the second photo, is the rusty double track the line that ran from Wolverhampton High Level to Ryecroft Junction, passing over the top of Wednesfield Heath Tunnel on the Bescot to Bushbury line...?

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

In the second photo, is the rusty double track the line that ran from Wolverhampton High Level to Ryecroft Junction, passing over the top of Wednesfield Heath Tunnel on the Bescot to Bushbury line...?

looking on the excellent railmap online website the area appears to now be the royal Mail warehouse building outside Wolverhampton station, the rusty lines look to be the old lines from Heath town jn to the old low level GWR station 

https://www.RailMapOnline.com/UKIEMap.php?lat=52.58767&lng=-2.11391&zoom=16.0

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 16/08/2022 at 09:37, Andy Kirkham said:

One of my own taken in 1995.

I like it becasue there is nothing in it (apart from being in colour) to tell you it isn't, say, 1928.

I like to imagine I'm H.C.Casserley exploring some rural byway in Ireland.

No.4 Loch leaves Castletown

AN island, but not Ireland!  Nice shot, so much has changed.....

• Like 1