Dymented - the Serious stuff starts!

Philou

• RMweb Gold

Is it necessary to close the stairwell off when up in the train room ?

Would leaving the opening open allow for better ventilation ?

Yes, you would then need a bannister around the opening, probably with a gate at the stair head, for safety reasons, which might impact your movement / access around the layout.

• Agree 1

@JeffP, @Stubby47 In response to your thoughts of Sunday, I went and took a few measurements and today I went back into my 3D drawing of the barn and came up with a drawing. It's not the final iteration as the opening is not properly square - nothing in the barn is! However it shows the sort of doors I was thinking of - I haven't shown any framing - that will come when building. I also need to make adjustments stair-end as the door frames touch the stair stringers and that too will need to be adjusted.

If the doors are open, then I shan't need a handrail as the doors will protect anyone going across - but if anyone falls in the direction of the stairs - well you can't treat stupid as they say - the stairs are there. However, I may place a short length of handrail along the door underside to assist in starting off, rather than grabbing the doors themselves. Beyond the underside of the doors then I will have a proper pair of handrails so no-one should go overboard directly onto the barn floor.

When the doors are closed, then the problem goes away. I need to be able the have doors closed as the layout will occupy all four walls. Depending how I turn the layout (drawing of the headache beam to be done), that corner will either be Ledbury viaduct or the entrance to Ledbury tunnel and the fiddle yard.

Here is the drawing showing three views, the last one in context placing it within the flooring (shown as OSB but it's now planking):

CellarDoor01.jpg.357c7d53e1973d669cae1c21e51a22d2.jpg

CellarDoor02.jpg.2c4b5ac14485e55e32e96cb13cad3204.jpg

CellarDoor03.jpg.6e42e2f5bd003d7e0d0d02c1f704d46a.jpg

There are other details to consider such as chamfering of the flap that is to open first and shut last so there's no pinching, or type of hinge, as what I have drawn is not necessarily available here etc.

Open and shut case?

Cheers,

Philip

There definitely won't be any updates as tomorrow we're supposed to be staying with Mrs Philou's sister and BiL near gay Paree and Mrs Philou gets to see her week-old granddaughter (awww - only kidding about the awww!). No updates until about the 28th.

Merry Christmas everyone!

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

Similar to what I proposed.

Do be careful of hinges and recess them flush.

We had two traps: one with completely flush hinges, the other one had the hinge pin above floor level.

The latter seemed to be able to trip or mangle unprotected toes at will.

Put bracing on the underside, then you won't need the long hinges. It doesn't need to be pretty, just serviceable.

Here in the UK I have a shaped piece of 18mm chip that drops in place in the loft opening so I can move about with impunity.

• Like 1

Hello chums,

I'm in the outskirts of gay Paree and finding myself at a loose end (gave up on doing some waste plumbing with the BiL as we couldn't work out what was going on) and so I decided to have a look at the headache beam.

Fortunately, I took the measurements with me and I was able to gen-up a drawing of the Big Beam and overlay the proposed layout. The plan is still very much WIP but the layout is correct in respect of location and height. It's the landscaping and building placement that has yet to be done.

There two views of the layout. In both views the new stairwell is in the south-west corner (bottom left-hand side). There is sufficient clearance between the bottom of board and the stairs to access without a cranial collision and the stairwell is 1.0m in from the southern (bottom edge) wall for the layout - the maximum width of the boards being 900mm.

In the first view, as I had originally 'seen' in my head, we can see the lowest part of the big beam coincides with end of Ledbury viaduct and the station throat of Dymented:

BigBeam01.jpg.1ae632022871049b8eeba27b4cccbc38.jpg

There is about 200mm clearance between the track top and the underside of the beam. At this location, there is likely to be a lot of movement getting around the sector plate, activity at Dymented and getting to/from Ledbury/Pontrilas just at the point where headroom is very restricted.

Here is the second view, with the layout rotated in respect of the beam:

BigBeam02.jpg.b18471fe91d0dc0eb925c4b95c8801e9.jpg

Access is still in the south west corner. In my humble opinion, having drawn things out (no claims of being super-accurate), this is the only way things can work correctly as we now have improved headroom at the point where it is likely to be busiest. However, it will mean that at all times, the cellar door will need to be kept closed if there is more than one operator. At the other end, there is very little activity as it's mostly Ledbury tunnel and the Malvern Hills. The two points in the tunnel will be operated remotely anyway and should anything untoward happen (derailment or electrical) access would be underneath or via cut-outs in the side in any case (it's envisioned that the Malvern Hills will be hollow).

The only real drawback of the big beam, is that whichever way I rotate the plan, one side of the sector plate will not be easily accessible. I don't think that I can move it northwards in the plan above as the big beam is not central with the floor - had it been, I would have placed the sector plate directly underneath it.

I think here, we have a no-brainer instead of a 'no brain-er' (sorry!).

If you're wondering why the layout is hovering in mid-air, I drew it so that datum 0 (OS 0 feet) was the floor (the lighter colouring on the plan) - it happened that way so that I could relate my scale feet from the floor and not an arbitrary 0 on the board. It won't hover once the scenery is placed.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year everyone, and I sincerely hope that 2022 will be an improvement on 2021!

It hasn't all been turkey and Christmas cake and being at a loose end, I've continued with my 3D plan of the layout and started to place the landscape. You will see the general effect in the first picture below:

Dymented10A.2.jpg.11c8918141d8461b0ce5f64a6b814ebc.jpg

I haven't carved out the railway yet as I decided that I wanted to visualise the landform before creating the cuttings and embankments as I can then allow for the cess and and parapets/retaining walls as necessary (you'll see what I mean over the next few days). What this first picture shows is that despite me wanting to make a visual statement regarding the Malvern Hills, it's just too much (height of 2.0m above floor level (not board level)). As you will see in the second picture, the Big Beam and the roof line co-incide with the landform, so clearly I'm having to review this - a case of less is more, I think:

Dymented10A_2A.jpg.83c7a1d50e7d7ba811b9746423980b32.jpg

Cheers,

Philip

PS: I seem to have developed a short in the power circuit from the house to the barn - joy! Going to have to eliminate things one by one ........

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Here we are - a quick drawing showing the ceiling in its approximate position. As you can see the highest part of the Malvern Hills 'disappear'.

I could live with that, but would it look daft?

Dymented10A_3BB.jpg.db1307d456a65a25e9315d68e4489694.jpg

To give an idea of the look, here's another with the top cut off at ceiling height:

Dymented10A_2B.jpg.5e12d38e32fde737cf50a1e801eed83b.jpg

Unfortunately, from an operator's view all that would be seen is a vertical face (imagine a vertical slice through the hills). I'll work on this some more to try and achieve some balance aesthetically.

Cheers,

Philip

Edited by Philou
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I think I would settle for a Malvern ridgeline with a hedge, stone wall, trees or similar below the point where you would run into the roof.  With an inch or two of vertical sky backscene behind if possible .....

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

@Chimer, @teaky I am busy working on a reduced height and I've remodelled the contours to give a dished effect towards the operating well so the hills look as if they sweep upwards. I like the idea of low clouds though! I don't vape but perhaps I could train one of the cats!

Here's part of the revised plan (busy doing the Ledbury cutting at the moment):

Dymented10A_2C.jpg.5867137ab0e499ba5a274ccec00f1eca.jpg

The grey blob above is where the original hill cut through the sloping ceiling. I think it now looks better - a case of less is more!

Cheers,

Philip

Edited by Philou
Submitted before finishing
  • Like 5

Evening everyone,

Just to say that I'm still alive and about - but nothing physical to report back regarding works in the barn. Apart from being too cold to do any masonry work, I think my mojo got a hangover at Christmas and hasn't yet surfaced. I haven't been letting things slide as I've being busy doing the  3D landscape plan of the layout. I think I've sorted the Malvern Hills and the sloped ceiling - definitely a case of less was more this time. I've done all the cuttings for Ledbury station and I've moved eastwards to the end of the tunnel where it becomes the River Dore/A465 overbridges. There is plenty to do and I have arrived at a point of recreating the two bridges. They will be co-joined to save space. Here are two pictures - they look naked as I have as yet not coloured anything to save on computing power. Landscape first, then the two Ledbury viaducts and then all the buildings.

This is Ledbury station yard and tunnel (the grey bit above is the sloping ceiling):

Dymented10A2C3.jpg.23a3c3dbb0511fce7b1b9e8e723bd19d.jpg

This is Ledbury tunnel, East end, with the Big Beam just above. I think this could just work:

Dymented10A2C4.jpg.264f896ca528ef1b22da706dcc1d4ca1.jpg

Talking of buildings, I had a most bizarre conversation with Mrs Philou this afternoon as she got the hump (as did our neighbour who was in for a cup of coffee) as I said I wasn't having any houses on the layout. 'Your having that huuuuuuuuge layout and no houses :o?' 'No houses, not any in the immediate vicinity the railway :D.' 'But .... but ..... doesn't the railway go through towns and villages?' 'Yup, but no houses, or buildings for that matter, close enough to be included. The only building that is a house, is the Stationmaster's one at Ledbury. Stations and good sheds plus signal boxes as appropriate, but no houses, or shops, or factories, none.' ' But what about all those buildings upstairs that you spent ages doing (Scalescene card ones that I did about 5 years ago).' 'None.' 'Well, I hope they're soon gone from the upstairs spare bedroom.' 'Yes dear, as soon as the new room is ready.' 'Humph ..... :mad:'. I think she was genuinely disappointed that I wouldn't be having hundreds of cottages and farms. 'Well, what about some cows then?' piped up Mrs Neighbour. 'Look', said I opening up Google Earth, 'here's the railway and these hills are The Malverns, mostly open land and there is no farming - might be a few sheep.' 'Oooh, sheep, you must have some sheep then.' 'Not really, the bit I'm doing of the hills is mostly wooded and where there could be some on the Colwall side, is mostly cutting on the model.' 'Oh, what about over on the other station (Pontrilas).' 'Same thing really, mostly cutting and the boards have to be narrow so that I can reach. The only cows will be those in the cattle docks at the two stations'. 'Well there you are, then you can have some cows ..... boring otherwise.'  

Weird or what? Or is she (and Mrs Neighbour) actually taking an interest? She has, in fairness, been very supportive in my construction efforts even wanting to help in doing the big timber work right at the start. Should I nurture her interest? What will she be able to do? (She can give me a hand threading electrical cabling in its conduit, but that's some time off). Ideas on a postcard to the usual address, ta.

Cheers,

Philip

Edited by Philou
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...

Huzzah and Hooray!

My planks are back in stock and the weather is set mild for next week. I'm not sure when the planks will be delivered, but I can go get some fine crushed white stone and some lime and I can re-start works, firstly by in-filling the wall tops around all the eaves from the inside. I shall try off a ladder for the lower bits and then some scaffolding for those out-of-reach parts. It's only about 3.5m to the ridge from the new floor. Working from a ladder is not too clever as I shall need at least three four hands - one to hold myself to the ladder, one for the bucket of stones, one for the lime mortar mix and one to 'palm' the mix into place - err - maybe scaffolding would be best :) .

In other news, my Christmas present that I wasn't supposed to know about but arrived when Mrs Philou wasn't there, it turned out to be a selection of points - good show!

I've also carried on trying to complete my 3D plan - it's not going as fast as the first time due to things that I see and don't like - so three steps forward and maybe two back - but it's all going forwards. I've reached Pontrilas station and heading towards 'Dymented' (I really must change the name!) I did think of an amalgam of Dymock and Peterchurch (one station each on the Golden Valley and Gloucester branches) but it gave Dymchurch (but that was too close to the RH&DR one) and Petermock that just doesn't do it!! I did see somewhere else (another thread here I think) Pump Heol/Five Ways and I happen to have 5 sidings at Dymented - so maybe that would be good.

An old pal of mine called yesterday that I haven't seen or spoken to for over 15yrs. Happened to go to Lord and Butler's to see about re-starting a railway and got my 'phone number from my brother! He's decided to go for N - though I think at our age it ought to be 0! That was a good call.

Here's Pontrilas, the platforms are in place, but not buildings yet nor the signalbox on the underbridge (which I quite like) leading to the old chemical works:

Dymented10A_2C03.jpg.4e38e6e4f16710c925dcf76533fcf2c4.jpg

Here's a link to the StreetView picture of the underbridge and signal box:

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.9447812,-2.8749956,3a,90y,118.73h,99.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_sSmZLmRz54O4Z6op6mbgg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

More updates to follow soon.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 4

As an add-on to my earlier post, I forgot to say that I CAN get black japanned stamped steel hinges as shown in the cellar door drawings. Apparently they're charnières à l'anglaise (English hinges). They too, will be delivered with my planks. What a good egg is my timber merchant.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 3

Hello chums,

Unfortunately due to the continuing spell of cold weather (0°C most days), there has been absolutely no physical progress to report, even my delivery of planking hasn't yet arrived. All that has happened is that we've burnt a lot of wood over the last fortnight and I have to get some more tomorrow and cut it Monday - just in time for a spell of mild but windy and wet weather - hey ho!

What I have done is continued with the 3D conceptual plan and I have arrived at the Ledbury viaducts (yes, I know that there is only supposed to be the one, but there you go), and I am quite happy with the models. The branch line one is based exceedingly loosely on Walnut Tree (now demolished) - I even managed to show the catwalk that isn't evident on the photos that can be seen on t'intertubes.

Here are a few images:

LedburyViaducts.jpg.64763a419b3201b45400fa4edf6f4225.jpg

LedburyViaducts2.jpg.d6f4bd18e9c77ad6b925142c7ff73604.jpg

LedburyViaducts3.jpg.32f0e64259e394f95a395632f1486846.jpg

(The white block in the second image is just my board edge to be trimmed to size).

Fine tuning of the landscape to do and then bridges, station buildings, goods sheds, signal boxes, other railway associated buildings and then a spot of colour.

Cheers everyone and have a good weekend,

Philip

• Like 5

Chums,

You've heard of the 1000 and 1 nights? Well, I've just screwed my 1000 and 3rd screw into the flooring. My missing planks arrived unexpectedly yesterday afternoon and so I was busy today in the train room trimming and filling-in the spaces. It took for ever as the one wall has a most definite 'hump' in it and all the planks bar one involved a good deal of circular saw usage to get them to fit. The planks were not of tip-top quality either as they all had shakes in them and two were heavily water-logged. I have two trimmers around the stairwell to cut and fix tomorrow. I still need to order two more planks to form the cellar doors, but I'm in no rush for them.

Tomorrow (or Saturday), I shall get my crushed stone and lime to start repairs to the wall. I had a closer look today and some of the wall looks literally as if it was thrown together. I did find some small lumps of stone that had fallen out and onto the floor since my last session of flooring just before Christmas - so there is work to be attended to. I also had a mysterious trip in the lighting circuit in the barn - I have no idea what that's all about but there was one of my LED spots that flickered just the once and when switching the lights off that there was a huge BANG! and everything went off in the barn - including the freezer (not good). Not only did the trip go on the circuit but one of the two main trips went in the consumer unit.

The whole barn is due to be rewired (it was first done about 15 years ago) as part of the railway room electrics with a new consumer unit in the barn itself. I shall spend a bit more and buy good quality sockets and switches (for a certain definition quality for Euro-electrical fittings) as what I originally bought wasn't that good. I shall also re-do all the external switches and sockets on the sun-deck at the same time.

The concept 3D plan is also galloping ahead as I'm back at Ledbury station and presently tackling the unusual brick wall forming the station boundary with Bromyard Road.  Possibly a photo and a picture tomorrow.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello chaps,

Still nothing to report nor photos nor pictures to show. I have my crushed stone and lime but there was a slight hiatus in the village as we had strong winds that brought a few trees down (before Dudley and Eunice) and I spent three days with Mr Mai..ai..air (in my best Larry the lamb voice) cutting and clearing. THEN, we had the grandchildren unexpectedly given/sent/gotten rid of/ for the mid-term break. That meant a 500 mile round trip to pick them up and another 500 miler to give them back. So a whole fortnight has just slipped by entertaining 10 and 12 year-olds, and whilst I was looking forward to getting underway again, I was tested Covid-positive today so I have to avoid contact for the next 7 days. I feel rather rough as it's on my chest and as a child, I was always prone to bronchitis (coal fire and no central heating - pfff .......... kids of today ....... mumble mumble).

Tomorrow announces wet weather for the next four days (we had the backside, er, end, of Eunice last night), and I shall attempt a re-start if there's a break as I shall be under cover most of the time excepting collecting a barrow of crushed stone now and then to make my lime mortar.

I'll keep you updated asap.

Cheers,

Philip

• Friendly/supportive 9

Thanks for the friendlies/supportive chaps - it is appreciated. I reckon at the moment it's probably no worse than a dose of man-flu. I've no temperature - just some mucus stuck in the tubes.

I'm waiting for Mrs Philou to show positive as she's feeling down but testing negative at the moment. I will say the Health Service here are the ball as I had my pass sanitaire issued yesterday (valid from the 25th) and a phone call this morning at 10 o'clock checking I was at home and taking down contact details. My niece who works on the rigs in the North Sea (she's British dammit Carruthers) was on leave and checked upon by the local gendarmerie from time to time during her enforced confinement (she lives nearby) despite the oil industry being super-hot on isolation (can't risk an outbreak on the rigs).

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Mrs Philou is now positive and confirmed by a Lateral Flow Test at the pharmarcie this morning. Less symptoms than I, limited to sneezes in her case. We have enough food to last a good few days - cats may run out of foodstuff before us!

Back to the proposed layout: I am tempted to go into the barn tomorrow and get some of my track out of stock as there is an aspect of Ledbury Goods yard (as was) that is bugging me as it doesn't sit well on the 3D plan and doesn't look much like the photos or the OS sheets. It's just the one siding that isn't coming together. It'll give me something to play with physically.

From the photos and OS plans that are available, it can be seen that the pointwork has been altered a few times, but unfortunately not all has ever been photographed - goods yards were no doubt seen as unglamorous and not worth taking many pictures.

I do have a question relating to flexible track: I am going to be using Peco Code 75 track and pointwork plus I am going to invest in some of the Finetrack (?) point kits (there is a thread on the products on RMWeb) as apparently the switches can be altered slightly by cutting through the webbing prior to assembly. The question I ask is: How do you ensure that very short pieces of flexi-track hold a neat curved shaped? I can do down to 4" using a track pin at each end plus one in the centre having pushed the piece into shape first - but what about shorter infillers that are curved? I don't have roller bars and having bent pieces in years gone with pliers and the like - shall we say the results were somewhat 'meh'.

Cheers everyone,

Philip

• RMweb Premium

For a less than 4" length of track, I would solder the rails neatly and squarely at one end to the lead in track.

Bend the track to its curve and cut to length.

Then solder to the next piece of track - again neatly and squarely.

The track should then be set into the curve with no doglegs and is held in pace by the fixings on the rails at either end until you do the final ballasting.

The only thing to watch is that if you are connecting to a long length of track, the rail in that might slide between the chairs.  This can be fixed with a drop of superglue rail to chair.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I made no progress at all this week - still haven't found my mojo really. What I did find mooching around in some of the darker corners of the barn were TWO stock boxes that I hadn't catalogued during last year, so that kept me busy for an afternoon and it was train-related. Unfortunately no gems in the boxes - rather the opposite - a half dozen or so Playcraft trucks in their boxes. They were grim!! A half dozen or so continental wagons by Sachsenmodell again boxed and never run - I don't remember where they came from! Apart from some kit-built Ratio and Airfix kit wagons (all awaiting painting) what I did find were about a dozen Trix Wagonmaster trucks - I suspect they're the odd scale ones - but they still run ever so smoothly. One was priced at 3/11d (less than 20p) and the others at 5/3d (26p). For their time, I thought they were the bee's knees!! Apart from the continental wagons mentioned above, they ALL had proper couplings - Peco type - yay!!

The need to get out and do something suddenly bit this afternoon so I went and fetched a trailer load of wood and cut that ready for the burner - stocks were getting low anyway. The RCD tripped again as I started the saw - so definitely no power now in the barn - so I'll have to have a good look at that sooner rather than later as I'll need the circuit up and running just to enable the lighting to set up so I can see what I'm doing.

If I'm a good boy AND JUST GET ON WITH IT, I may have something to report during next week - here's hoping.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Some of those Playcraft atrocities are perhaps better than you imagine.  The bogie wagons are not so inaccurate  representations of TP wagons bought by the French government around 1920 and running certainly into the start of the 60s.

First those dreadful diamond bogies just need cutting through.  [They are a fairly good representation but have a solid back to the moulding meaning you cannot see through the framing as you should be able to do.]  Having opened them up, remove the pizza cutter wheels, add bearings and new metal wheels.  Don't make the mistake I made and replace them all with spoked wheels.  As supplied they had solid wheels but over time some wheel sets were replaced with spoked wheels.  Now you just need some underframe trussing in brass or plasticard strip.  The outside trusses were fixed to the outside of the sole bar.  

• Like 1

Right chaps and chapesses,

I had a severe telling-off by me to just DO something - so whilst it's sunny but mighty cold, too cold for outside work, I decided I would carry on with the 3D plan and I created the Ledbury Signal Box. You may well be asking, 'Why bother. It's virtual and doesn't exist'. Very true, BUT I now have a scale model (albeit arrived at by tedious brick-counting and guesstimating) from which I can take measurements to create a cardboard/styrene model. I am very happy with it as the proportions are better than my first attempt (lost in a hard-drive failure). There are things that I didn't take into account, for example, the stairs leading to the 'box start somewhere on the ramp and not at ground-level - to be adjusted on the model. I didn't do the rainwater goods nor the toilet down-pipe as I find doing cylinders (pipe forms) difficult as modelling them in 1:76.2 scale in SketchUp not a simple matter (nor can I create spheres). The tutorials are not particularly simple in very small dimensions.

Here are two views:

LedburySBox01.jpg.5430c8d4b3c955dff1edfd69eaa8db66.jpg

LedburySBox02.jpg.18c61fbf16086b5a36c01296114d6ca1.jpg

Next off will be Ledbury Station and the island waiting room - all brickwork - so I can count bricks again. The waiting room I can duplicate as the main station building of Dymented. Going over to Pontrilas, the signal box is a one-off shiplap affair (no brickwork from which to count!) and the station building is ashlar stonework but I have got a fair number of photos and using doors as a guide, I should be able to do something reasonable. The island building I shall duplicate as the island building for Dymented. I do also need two 'generic' GWR 'boxes though, one for Dymented and one for the eastern portal of Ledbury tunnel. Two for the price of one there methinks, too.

That leaves just three goods sheds - the one at Ledbury seems to be a one-off design - I might borrow that for Dymented - we'll see. There will be the Stationmaster's house at Ledbury, an industrial-type loading/unloading building for Dymented, a couple of platelayers' huts here and there and a lamp hut for Pontrilas. There is a coaling stage for Ledbury but no evidence of one at Pontrilas other than coaling that was done at the engine shed diect from a parked-up coal wagon.

There is also a water tank at Ledbury to be done but the one at Pontrilas was incorporated into the station building (which is going to be my model), before the building was remodelled. A new water tank was installed beyond the Golden Valley branch junction in the late 40s, early 50s, but I don't know where it was in between times, though there was a pumphouse on the river Dore. Could water have been pumped direct rather than stored in the period between the station building being remodelled (1920s?) and the tank of the 50s?

One engine shed of corrugated iron for Pontrilas with a parachute tank and that's it. I mustn't forget water-cranes, but I shan't be modelling them in 3D as RTP ones will do!

Cheers everyone,

Philip

• Like 4

Here we are: Ledbury Station underway. I've just done the basic shape and created cut-outs within which to place the windows ans doors. It wasn't as easy as the 'box despite having a largish photo of the station front. When blown up the bricks and coursing became indistinct and it was more guesstimate than accurate 'counting'. I think the essence of it is there - but I'm pleased with the sash-windows. I've shown two in place in what was the refreshment room area.

LedburyStn01.jpg.5f7ce8e0672a9f70c2e87abf923ec7ef.jpg

LedburyStn02.jpg.021382d19c60231646fa18ff8648524a.jpg

I should like to tone the brickwork colour down a bit - too orange for my tastes - but the pallette in the free version of SketchUp is limited. As mentioned in the previous post, I'm doing this so that I shall have a measurable model in the computer for when it's time to make the real one. Another reason is that it's making my brain work counting, converting into 4mm and then drawing out.

Tomorrow will see the detailing on the corbelling finished, doors drawn and windows in place. Then round to the platform façade. The windows I shall re-use but as far as I can see, the doors are single leaf affairs, though I shall need to peruse several photos first. The refreshment room windows are very different, large small paned ones with a semi-glazed door. I then will do the roof - the chimneys are very different from your 'bog' standard ones.

I'm keeping the canopy 'til last as I have an option on the woodwork - either standard 'spear'(?) or an earlier swallow-tail shape. Whichever, the platform side will be interesting due to a cut-out on the underside to allow the branch line junction signals to be sighted from the 'box.

Keep well everyone, I've now tested Covid-negative and able to circulate freely. The only remaining after-effect is that I'm a bit like Bob Flemmings but even that is drying up!

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hello chaps and chapesses,

Bit more progress today both on the virtual layout AND in the barn!

I finished the body of the main station building at Ledbury - mostly guesstimating platform side as the station appears to have been extended at sometime, possibly prior to 1900, as looks nothing like the colour-wash drawing of the original plan! From what I can tell from various photos, there used to be the gents at the Hereford end of the main building but these were later demolished and new ones in what looks like a corrugated tin shed positioned under the supports of the footbridge - right in front of the Refreshment Rooms that were possibly built at the same time (very nice! The tea always looked a tad weak!). The Refreshment room was a wing at right angles to the original building adjoining the footbridge. The windows were totally different to the rest of the building and MAY have been bay-shaped rather than flat as I have drawn them. I only have the one grainy photo to work from and the Refreshment Room is rather lost in the gloom of the very deep canopy. I think it has shiplap along the bottom, and probably at the top, of the windows - just can't tell. It's MY representation of the building.

I've also made a start on the island platform building, a bit of a rinse and repeat operation regarding the doors and windows.

I shall probably do the roof of the main building tomorrow - fun time to be had there as well as there seems to be break in the roof line to cover an additional extension to the Refreshment Rooms (might have been for something else, of course) but the roof appears to have had its slope changed rather than extend the ridge or make a new hip. You'll see what I mean when I put the roof on.

As for 'proper' work, I went into the barn and prepared some covering for the new floor so to avoid getting too much mortar onto it. I also removed some ends of big nails that had penetrated through the original roofing timbers that were at my skull height - I didn't want my head being penetrated by them either! I then brought up a few buckets of assorted stones to start in-filling the missing stonework along the wall-tops and in-between the joists. I also found a roll of chicken-wire that I can re-cut to help deter any rodents from entering where the stone may not be that good. All-in-all a good day today and hopefully more tomorrow.

Here are two views of the main building and the commenced island building:

Platform façade:

LedburyStn04.jpg.d0f113759bed88f2c27d97b0e66ab7a2.jpg

Front entrance (island building on right):

LedburyStn03.jpg.c511563afee070f86c546197f8ee5dcb.jpg

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 5

Hello chums,

A not-a-lot progress report. Though the weather has been very dry and sunny it has come with a cost! The night before last the temperature was down to -6.7°C and last night is was -9.7°C a few miles away. It's been far too cold in the barn to do any mortar work - though I did make a start infilling two days ago. It's not going to get any warmer for a couple of days yet.

I haven't been idle - gardening called (I don't like gardening at all - it's Mrs Philou domain) cutting back fruit trees and roses and the such-like. In the evenings, I've been doing some more 3D modelling and here are the results:

First off is the signal box coloured up (apologies for the rather 'gaudy' brickwork):

LedburySBox03.jpg.d24da4deb19db713f36c88348e35515f.jpg

Next off are various shots of the Ledbury main station building and the island waiting room. I sorted out the 'funny' roof-line. I worked out that it must be a flat-roofed extension that I was looking at, though I only have the one grainy photo to work from - but it was the only solution that made engineering sense otherwise. If anyone does know better - please let me know.

I think the main building is a little short - not by much - but the refreshment room 'L-wing' is definitely short - I should have increased it, but it only became obvious when the roof went on when comparing the photo and the 3D model. I shall amend it when I come to make the model. It will have a knock on effect on the Stationmaster's house and that will need to move accordingly - I'll model that later as I want to do the station buildings first.

The main building without its canopy:

LedburyStation05.jpg.4f4c8dbc4fd8458a1ebddac61e83e551.jpg

.........and the front elevation:

LedburyStation06.jpg.5f26b4b7550b39e6cf1d1ebbd84bea2c.jpg

The main building with the canopy in place showing the cut-out on the valance underside to permit the junction/starter signals to be seen from the signal box:

LedburyStation07.jpg.c536498fd6475e4d80dc84e293ee0377.jpg

The main and island platform buildings in-situ on their respective platforms complete with cast-iron canopy supporting columns:

LedburyStation08.jpg.1a88d14ad03bd77aaca6ee72263bb56a.jpg

LedburyStation09.jpg.d678b31dd0f67490ac44b05f8215e872.jpg

More as to come as when they're completed. Tomorrow will be the main building for Dymented - a mash-up of the Ledbury island building. I shall add some doors and windows to the main entrance side and put on a smaller canopy - I have one that I made earlier.

Cheers,

Philip

Edited by Philou
  • Like 6