Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

I'm only really interested in BR blue and large logo but with possibilities upto and no further than triple grey sector livery... So can someone please explain why I just bought a Colas one and keep eyeing up the Load Haul one?

• Funny 3

I echo the comments from several others about the guys at Cavalex possibly producing 56074 as running from the second part of 1982 for several years, possibly as part of a second run.

For those not in the know, the livery is an interesting variation on the original rail blue but with the large logo style light grey roof, the nameplate centrally mounted over small double arrows in the centre of the bodyside (named Kellingley Colliery on 14 June 1982), and with flashing beacons sitting on a circular mounting at either cab end, roughly in the same location as the later aerials. The beacons were for dedicated remote unloading operations at Eggborough power station which as far as I can recall was eventually superseded by the radio control equipment, and while I'm not sure when this took place, there are good 1987 images with the beacons still in place, although by that stage it may have lost the light grey roof. 56073 was similarly fitted. 

The fact that the 56s have all but vanished from stockists’ shelves is no surprise to anyone who's managed to get their hands on one and testament to a truly superb model. I suspect the guys at Cavalex are already considering a second run, or at least I sincerely hope so. If so, perhaps we will see either 073 or 074 in this guise; alternatively perhaps as a limited edition by one of the distributors. Sign me up definitely.

33 minutes ago, 37081LochLong said:

I'm only really interested in BR blue and large logo but with possibilities upto and no further than triple grey sector livery... So can someone please explain why I just bought a Colas one and keep eyeing up the Load Haul one?

I know what you mean, they're outstanding aren't they!   I was only going to get one and pre-ordered BR blue 008, and kept saying no, no, no I'm not getting another...... large logo now ordered - couldn't help it!

A little tip in case anyone else has similar issue, mine was derailing on an outer wheelset. I found that it was because two halves of the bogie were not quite clipped together at one end, so the wheelset wasn't being held in firmly enough.  Sorted no problem and it looks and runs superbly (DC).  The powerbank on DC is very good and keeps the lights on for a short while after stopping.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

IMG_2071.jpeg.10c1af3dd6ea0d1707301f1abffb984e.jpeg
Got to see 56098 absolutely belting it out of Derby before work on the DCR hire-in and within an hour this beauty is sitting on my desk:

IMG_2062.jpeg.ad2198361b1e90acb473df4f67cbd1d5.jpeg

Safe to say yesterday was a good day…

Echoing what so many others have said so far, genuinely a stunning model and probably my favourite OO scale loco to date. If this is what Cavalex can achieve for their debut loco model I think the future is very very bright indeed! 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, david12345 said:

On topic, I was wondering if anyone who has the analogue version, straight DC, can advise if the fans work on DC ?

None of my 4 are picking up on the fan motors on DC.

i’m using a Gaugemaster LT.

my dc settings seem to match the book..

IMG_8647.jpeg

ive also tried a 9v to the wheels, the loco / leds goes but not the fans.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, tlm said:

The beacons were for dedicated remote unloading operations at Eggborough power station which as far as I can recall was eventually superseded by the radio control equipment, and while I'm not sure when this took place, there are good 1987 images with the beacons still in place, although by that stage it may have lost the light grey roof. 56073 was similarly fitted. 

Going OT - and 47373.

• Agree 1

Mine arrived on Monday, which are 56018 and 56055 both with sound. Very impressed, and very happy. Absolutely worth the wait. 

20240129_163413.jpg.572295e9130a973d963ffd34fd1f616a.jpg

Here's my 56018 on the petcoke PABs.

Congratulations to Cavalex on producing such a great model, bring on the 60!

Edited by CazRail
Ballsed up some spelling.
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I am very impressed with my two 56s in many ways, but I have a couple of problems. I am a DC user. The coal 56 running was fine both directions and then haulage with Cavalex HAAs was going well until it stopped! It then moved slowly with my controller red light flashing meaning overload or a short. I checked it was not the layout by testing a different loco which was ok. I tried it again yesterday and it was slow again with the red light flashing, but then suddenly burst into power and drove away. It now runs fine, but a friend's 56 ran slowly from the start and today burnt out. He is sending it back. Is this a known issue?

My construction 56 had no white lights at one end that didn't work. However, I always switch lights off anyway. But I tried to switch them off reading the book but there is no central off position which the book mentions. I am also not sure why there are only red lights front & red lights rear, nothing for white lights, only cab lights + Power pack on and power supply on. Any thoughts?

Cheers.

IMG_7975.JPG

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I have now put my DCC Sound Class 56 to the test to check on 3 issues.

Test 1 - Sound using F6 which I wasn't happy with.

Following advice from @RBE, I powered away using F6, ran to line speed, switched off F6, then F5 on & powered down for coasting, before turning F5 off & slowing down with F5/6 off.

Absolutely brilliant driving & sound experience, I really recommend it. This actually makes the class 56 my best driving experience, thanks Cavalex!

The only small issue, only when on F6 the loco stalls on points a crawl speed, engine sound working, no wheel slip. Other locos do stall on these points but not any with stay alive capacitors. I think it's a load / speed issue / setting issue. I am not bothered by this, so just remember no slow speed over points in F6.

Test 2 - Coupling - loco coupling unhooking.

AS short HYA - loco unhooks (only loco to do so)

Hattons FEA - loco unhooks (as do most locos)

Dapol HIA - loco remains hooked

I assume this is due to NEM coupling heights being all over the place!

Test 3 - Haulage - is A1A-A1A good enough?

I have a variety of heavy freight wagon rakes that only my stronger locos can haul, so lets test the class 56: -

12 AS short HYAs - pass

16 mixed freightliner wagons - pass

21 Dapol HIAs - pass

12 AS short HYAs + 21 Dapol HIAs - FAIL

To put this into context, No other locos including my AS class 37 can pull it except my AS class 92 that can just pull it & my AS class 55 that can pull it with ease. Also not many locos can haul my freightliner or HIA rakes, so that's excellent but not best in class.

Overall that's a pass for me and I shall be ordering a class 60.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Ok what have I done wrong! now I remember the sound decoders where running a little late.

went to have a look and found one that says for the Cavalex 56. Order it and it turned up today it came with a speaker fitted with a small but still rather nice speaker and all works, sounds lights fan brilliant. 

However I did ordered a (before the decorder) speaker mentioned on this thread and confirmed by cavalex. Looks like the one in photo a few pages back. But the plug doesn’t fit! In the socket marked spk. 

IMG_2495.jpeg

IMG_2497.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 1

50 minutes ago, farren said:

Ok what have I done wrong! now I remember the sound decoders where running a little late.

went to have a look and found one that says for the Cavalex 56. Order it and it turned up today it came with a speaker fitted with a small but still rather nice speaker and all works, sounds lights fan brilliant. 

However I did ordered a (before the decorder) speaker mentioned on this thread and confirmed by cavalex. Looks like the one in photo a few pages back. But the plug doesn’t fit! In the socket marked spk. 

IMG_2495.jpeg

IMG_2497.jpeg

That's very odd. I am sure Richard at Road and Rails fit one of those speakers just fine?

Received the first of my 4 just now and WOW!!! Absolutely stunning and I can’t really add anymore than what has been added here allready.

Only minor gripe is a guardrail has come adrift and ended up in the foam covering the loco and lost some paint.

IMG_2621.jpeg.b779c43bfc40c5db2cc4ad117d99e118.jpegIMG_2615.jpeg.a351db51bb2f6720c5e4e446b216d6c1.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Wayne 56089 said:

Received the first of my 4 just now and WOW!!! Absolutely stunning and I can’t really add anymore than what has been added here allready.

Only minor gripe is a guardrail has come adrift and ended up in the foam covering the loco and lost some paint.

IMG_2621.jpeg.b779c43bfc40c5db2cc4ad117d99e118.jpegIMG_2615.jpeg.a351db51bb2f6720c5e4e446b216d6c1.jpeg

Send us an email (cavalexmodels@gmail.com) with your address and we’ll get a spare in the post to you.

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Southwich said:

Send us an email (cavalexmodels@gmail.com) with your address and we’ll get a spare in the post to you.

Kind regards,

Will

Much appreciated, service as good as your models!! 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, RBE said:

That's very odd. I am sure Richard at Road and Rails fit one of those speakers just fine?

Well this one would need a little plastic taking off the plug otherwise it’s going to split the socket  open or break something on the bored. I’ll get into with the supplier of the speaker to double check it’s the right one received. I suppose I could solder it into the pads on the board. But I rather not risk that. 

16 minutes ago, farren said:

Well this one would need a little plastic taking off the plug otherwise it’s going to split the socket  open or break something on the bored. I’ll get into with the supplier of the speaker to double check it’s the right one received. I suppose I could solder it into the pads on the board. But I rather not risk that. 

No you shouldn't have to do that.

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, farren said:

Sorry if this sounds obvious but those plugs will only fit one way round. I am sure you have it correct but just in case?

• Friendly/supportive 1