RMweb

Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, ColinB said:

I mailed Road and Rails to see if their sound decoder supported all the functions. They have two options, one is the original Cavalex sound file or the Legomanbiffo which has been modified to drive the fans and the lights. 

Thanks for info. Ordered the Cavalex sound files decoder from R & R. Having already one factory fitted sound 56, I knew what I would be getting 🙂

Had to go elswhere for the speaker as in big demand I guess.

15 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Thanks for info. Ordered the Cavalex sound files decoder from R & R. Having already one factory fitted sound 56, I knew what I would be getting 🙂

Had to go elswhere for the speaker as in big demand I guess.

Apparently ESU have changed the plug size on the commercial release of the speaker for some reason (without mentioning it to us) so is too big for the 56 socket now. You may need to source a different plug to solder in it's place or solder the wires to the speaker pads on the board for the new speaker.

Just a heads up.

• Informative/Useful 7
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, RBE said:

Apparently ESU have changed the plug size on the commercial release of the speaker for some reason (without mentioning it to us) so is too big for the 56 socket now. You may need to source a different plug to solder in it's place or solder the wires to the speaker pads on the board for the new speaker.

Just a heads up.

Thanks for the heads up, until I saw your post I didn't realise there was a socket. I just assumed I would have to solder to the pads as I do with every other 21 pin DCC decoder. The good thing is they are really nice big pads to solder to.

8 minutes ago, RBE said:

Just a heads up.

Well that was great timing by ESU and nice of them to let you know 🙄

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, RBE said:

Just a heads up.

'Plug and play' - with solder - no problemo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dicky L said:

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried an EM1 in the 56?

Yes, when we were developing the speaker for the model. It doesn't sound good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/02/2024 at 09:21, AMac said:

I'm still waiting for mine as well.  I pre-ordered a sound fitted 56008 mid May (different chip if I understand you correctly) . I'm from NZ so waiting for their email confirming postage costs.

I also emailed  to check I was still on their list as Rails were advertising the Class 56's had arrived.  They replied with "... once this has been worked out we'll be able to contact you."  I think the response you got was a bit odd as a few days ago they were advertising that Sound fitted and DCC ready versions were available in store.

Anyway, crossing fingers they'll be sent through soon - they look really good. I just can't wait!

I ended up phoning Rails this morning to follow up. I had a really helpful person on the line - my understanding is that the loco was ready but confirming postage with me had slipped through the cracks. Anyway he sorted it out right there and then and it will be sent first thing Monday. As I expected and others have mentioned, Rails have had quite a few Class 56's to process and I understand sometimes the odd thing can be overlooked, the main thing for me is Rails have sorted it out and my 56 will be on it's way.

It's a bit of a wait for me still for the overseas shipping (a week or 2) - I'll just have to be patient! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RBE said:

Just a heads up.

Well at least I know I’m not putting it in the wrong way round. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

56070 regauged to P4 and put to work on Fryers Lane.

IMG_20240203_193314.jpg.4f203c601566d98d2e1ae4a5f5d1d4f2.jpg

Initially I found the wheels a little tight to gauge (17.5mm back to back) but these were easily eased out to something closer to 17.7mm and it runs very nicely.

I found the standard DCC settings excellent giving an enjoyable and intuitive driving experience.

They have run at the standard back to backs on every P4 layout we have tried them with no issues so far. In fact it ran on one where every other item of stock they had fell off, the 56 nailed it. Glad that it's works for you though. They look great on P4.

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

10 days in and we are still working through orders, though the vast majority have now been sent out.

If you are expecting an engine (or more than one) from us, please check your voicemail and/or email, or call us.

If we haven’t heard back by next Friday, we will start cancelling orders - unless we’ve made arrangements with you.

(Apart from non-uk, who have an extra week)

I’m sure we can find homes for any of these -  yet to be paid for- class 56s.

(deliberately fuzzy for PII reasons!)

IMG_0763.jpeg.242c367813bdc350074ba14114de8ee3.jpeg

Edited by Trains4U
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Hi All,

Here is my Cavalex Class 56 in large loco livery numbered 56,093 & I have to say that this model is absolutely stunning. 
I have added the front end detail & also a driver (which was a bit more tricky).

Just waiting on a re-mapped DCC chip so I can run her.

Then it will be some weathering to bring this model ‘alive’.

There has been a lot of hype about this model & I would suggest it is a definite contender for ‘Model of Year’.

IMG_6798.jpeg

IMG_6809.jpeg

IMG_6816.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, RBE said:

They have run at the standard back to backs on every P4 layout we have tried them with no issues so far. In fact it ran on one where every other item of stock they had fell off, the 56 nailed it. Glad that it's works for you though. They look great on P4.

Please don't take my comments as a criticism, more of an observation. I'm grateful for the thought given to making the loco so easy to convert and for the availability of P4 wheelsets.

Just to clarify, I had no issues with derailments at the supplied 17.5mm back to back measurement, the only issue was that the loco would slow down slightly when passing through turnouts at slow speeds.  I believe this was caused be the backs of the wheels dragging on the check rails.  Adjusting the wheels to a back to back measurement that is within the recommended range (17.68 to 17.75) improved running.  Checking and adjusting back to backs is a routine part of any P4 (or EM) conversion so it's no big deal.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Well the 56 023, has had surgery the sound decorder has had the tank speaker removed by wiggling the wires and the twin speaker was soldered to the main board. The sound is much better more fuller. Not saying the speaker provided with the decoder was bad but there’s a noticeable improvement in sound quality. All back together now and I have to say when the 56 is ticking over next to the Accurascale 37 (sound lowered due to start failure problem) umm well the 37 is somewhat drowned out! I don’t want to say one model is better than the other because I love them both and have 2 more 37s on order. 

Edited by farren
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, farren said:

Well the 56 023, has had surgery the sound decorder has had the tank speaker removed by wiggling the wires and the twin speaker was soldered to the main board. The sound is much better more fuller. Not saying the speaker provided with the decoder was bad but there’s a noticeable improvement in sound quality. All back together now and I have to say when the 56 is ticking over next to the Accurascale 37 (sound lowered due to start failure problem) umm well the 37 is somewhat drowned out! I don’t want to say one model is better than the other because I love them both and have 2 more 37s on order. 

It goes to show how each of the different diesel engines and ancillary sounds are best represented by tailored decoder sound files / speaker set ups. It is not a case of one size fits all. Clearly the new ESU passive radiator speaker suits the 56, whereas when watching a video sound comparison of Accurascale 37s by Richard of R & R, the EM1 / Accurathrash came out better than the new ESU speaker. I am still debating the need to remove the sugar cube on the ACC 37 as I needed to reduce volume anyway to best match my room size.

Speaker technology has really come on in recent years, and now with ESU facility for treble and base tuning we are getting HiFi on wheels.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

One on e bay if you missed out on DC rail one........just proves hard pleasing everyone.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204634102713

not my listing........

He's selling as it doesn't have all wheel drive, it's the one here

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/165333-cavalex-all-new-class-56-in-oo/page/53/

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, IOW O2 said:

He's selling as it doesn't have all wheel drive, it's the one here

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/165333-cavalex-all-new-class-56-in-oo/page/53/

Which is ridiculous as it literally still pulls like a train. Reading his description it looks like it has the dislodged tower cover issue. Instead of querying it though just decided it was the A1A drive causing the issue. 🙄

Edited by RBE
  • Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Looking at his feedback profile, he's a trader.

My guess, probably thought buying one of these would be an opportunity to make a quick buck not realising nearly everyone who wanted one pre-ordered. Same thing has happened with AS 37's, loads on Ebay from those thinking there would be a shortage. Just coming up with an excuse why he's selling, no one cares about the drivetrain if it works.

Edited by ruggedpeak
  • Like 1

Floating centre axles….. I have a 5inch gauge class 52 western, 

it has the same setup as the cavalex 56, with a floating centre axle on the bogies, so only 4 motors.

Its the same idea though, the centre axle floating means it doesnt take any weight, therefore it has the same tractive effort as it would even if all 6 axles were powered, it would just mean that the axle loading is higher on the driven wheels.

It has no trouble pulling a rake of 10 steel mk1 coaches with an 18st fat bloke also sat on it!! 
just like the Cavalex 56 will pull a full length train in OO with ease.
As i have come to realise in 5” gauge and now OO, the benefit of better stability on the track is huge.

a 6ft long western needs all the movement it can get! This also scales down to OO gauge Co-Co locos especially on a layout like mine with baseboard joins everywhere and curved points ect.

I can confidently say that a Cavalex 56 is the only Co-Co diesel loco i own that i could leave running around my layout all day without a single derailment, i dread to think how many laps its done now.

As a result ive enjoyed the model much more since i can play with it properly rather than watching it like a hawk.

Many of us will know the pain of a Bachmann 66 finding any imperfections on your track due to lack of compliance, so this is a great move i think.

Edited by Erixtar1992
  • Like 2
  • Agree 7

Also for DCC non sound users, to clear up confusion.

Lokpilot 5 decoders come with a base setup, for standard directional lights on F0, then the Aux outputs are on F1 upwards.

Obviously this wont suit the advanced class 56 with its independant lighting and cooling fans, so the decoders will all have to have the function mapping altered to suit this specific loco. Retailers offering a tailored version for the 56 will have to go through an entire batch of decoders and individually load on the correct settings, so it can take a little while.

Its the same with other manufacturers that have multiple lighting options and features and why more of them are now starting to offer the decoders themselves.

If you have a friend with a Lokprogrammer then you can of course do this yourself, it just takes some time, so easier to just grab one from Cavalex when they have sorted a batch out plus it also in turn supports them by doing so.

• RMweb Gold

Finally managed to have a proper look at my 2, they are excellent! I nearly managed to start laying track today, but got distracted may be next weekend. Need to get a move on as need to see these in action.

IMG_4832.jpeg

IMG_4835.jpeg

IMG_4837.jpeg

IMG_4838.jpeg

• Like 14

Very happy with my 56. Fitted all the pipes and the coupling and it’s quite happily pulling 15 empty PTAs around a sharp 2nd radius curve on the cosmetic coupling. Need a bigger layout to add the other 10 PTAs. What a sound. 

IMG_1700.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Finally got chance to detail and examine my 56s. Simply sublime. 

Thank you to the posters and Ultimate model railways for the railtour pair, I wanted to see 093 in the flesh before I ordered and nearly missed out.

Many thanks Cavalex for the Model of the year 

20240204_170344.jpg

20240204_171700.jpg

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1