Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

A Colas 56 thumped past my house today and I took it as a sign to get one...

Will the sound decoders be sold separately if we could only get hold of the DCC ready versions of our chosen livery?

Edited by Slacky89

1 hour ago, Slacky89 said:

A Colas 56 thumped past my house today and I took it as a sign to get one...

Will the sound decoders be sold separately if we could only get hold of the DCC ready versions of our chosen livery?

Get one mate. You won't regret it! They are nice models. Although from my observations from the performance when I reviewed mine tonight. I feel that all wheel drive would have been a better option to have gone for. Not moaning, just some constructive feedback. 

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Dicky L said:

The models seemed to be labelled Series 1 and Series 2 on the respective boxes. 

Perhaps Cavalex will clarify the differences as I was pleasantly surprised by the removable roof panel on 56055 compared to the images originally published. 

IMG_1668.jpeg.5d758c39885c8bb38ee477b12cf350bb.jpeg

Don't you need to take it out of the box first before placing it on the track? 🤪

• Funny 7

On 25/01/2024 at 20:07, younGGuns7 said:

Did a 56 and a Western even run at the same time 🤷🏻‍♂️

56006 Was accepted into BR Stock the day before the Westerns finished in 1977.

K77

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

Cheers Will.  I found the wheels on the Rails website, but it wouldn't allow me to add them to basket.  I've gone ahead and ordered a loco and emailed to ask if they can add wheels to the order.

Mine has been despatched from Rails. I queried the p4 wheels and they said they were waiting confirmation for these so I don’t know what is going on there. They are still shown on my pre order list.

Mark

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

Bit further west, so Marlow / Bourne End / Henley-On-Thames, most likely would of been on an engineers?

NL

Never seen any evidence of it ever happening . The engineers of the time to small branches were normally 31/37/47 ….I doubt a 56 could cross some of the structures en route and of course the nearest based ones were Westbury I think .

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Mine has been despatched from Rails. I queried the p4 wheels and they said they were waiting confirmation for these so I don’t know what is going on there. They are still shown on my pre order list.

Mark

Best course of action would be to call Rails to sort as they do have both EM/P4 wheelsets in stock. Although please bear with them if you can’t get through immediately as from Facebook comments they’ve been quite busy with the 56 dispatch! 

Kind regards,

Will

7 hours ago, BritishRail60062 said:

Get one mate. You won't regret it! They are nice models. Although from my observations from the performance when I reviewed mine tonight. I feel that all wheel drive would have been a better option to have gone for. Not moaning, just some constructive feedback. 

Thanks for the feedback Peter. Can you please send us an email with your observations and we’ll look into it further?

We felt that the all round performance benefits from going AIA-AIA on uneven track far outweighs the minimal impact of not having the centre axle driven. Hope that helps to explain our thinking behind the decisions?

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Not directly relevant to this thread, I would like to say Cavalex have excellent customer service should you require their assistance. I recently requested some replacement buffers for my TEAs and they have arrived with me this morning at a time when they are obviously snowed under with the enormity of this Class 56 project.

A massive thank you from me 🤩

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Possibly the worst quality photo I've ever taken but just for comparison ...........................

The Cavalex 56 is superlative but dear old R2645 (£74, Hattons, 16 years ago - I have an Excel file - sad or what !) stands up very well - no issues running these side by side at all. 👍

56's.jpg

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 2

After a long week delivering Class 56s up and down the country we are pleased that all of our retailers have now received their models.

7d81cb19-3221-42f5-b8e4-397f2f6a0837.jpeg.207b533ce434382e189bd5751c79f6b5.jpeg

Please get in contact with us or your retailer if you have any questions or issues with your Class 56s. 

0b18eb76-45df-41c2-8d28-17e5f694b5b8.jpeg.8f54fca91a817c4c28c75bd64beb2d5e.jpeg

Thanks to @P.C.M in Australia for sharing the below photos of his weathered model of 56008 on his excellent layout Llanbourne. We’re looking forward to seeing photos of 56s on layouts in the next few weeks!

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 3

1 hour ago, Southernman46 said:

Possibly the worst quality photo I've ever taken but just for comparison ...........................

The Cavalex 56 is superlative but dear old R2645 (£74, Hattons, 16 years ago - I have an Excel file - sad or what !) stands up very well - no issues running these side by side at all. 👍

56's.jpg

Hornby model was quite reasonable - but what the fudge did Hornby do with the roof grills ? Why are they recessed ?

IMG_9555.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Southwich said:

Best course of action would be to call Rails to sort as they do have both EM/P4 wheelsets in stock. Although please bear with them if you can’t get through immediately as from Facebook comments they’ve been quite busy with the 56 dispatch! 

Kind regards,

Will

I've had an email from Rails this morning saying they don't have the wheels in stock yet.  I guess it may be that they physically have them, but don't have them on their stock inventory yet for some reason.

I'll keep looking out for updates from Rails (and other retailers) for a change in the situation.

5 minutes ago, Mark Forrest said:

I've had an email from Rails this morning saying they don't have the wheels in stock yet.  I guess it may be that they physically have them, but don't have them on their stock inventory yet for some reason.

I'll keep looking out for updates from Rails (and other retailers) for a change in the situation.

They have them, we delivered them personally.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BritishRail60062 said:

There are advantages to not having all wheel drive on a co-co. From 11:00:-

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Apologies for posting the above photos without comments, but could manage to post pics and words together.

Very impressive model, first time got hands on one and some superb finesse to the detail, the bogies especially being a work of art - very nice.

As regards comments about the roof and grill grey, the photos I posted show 56097 alongside a new Heljan 33. In natural light, there is a significant difference between them, but without that, they look very similar and once weathered, I doubt there will be much in it. The effect of the natural light on the 56 roof is most odd, no doubt someone will explain why that is. I dare not comment on which I prefer though...

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, APT Fan said:

There are advantages to not having all wheel drive on a co-co. From 11:00:-

What's the next stage?

Built in suspension?

Understood that with 'steamies' (and 08's) it works as they have the coupling rods whereas with diesels power is transmitted by the correct meshing of gears.

Al.

Two arrived yesterday, not run them yet but first impressions are that they are up there with the Bachy 47s and a significant step up from the Hornby 56. I like the fan grills, much better than the Hornby concave version which I always found a bit odd. The rail guards are the same as the Hornby one's that always snap off, so need to be careful with them. Doesn't normally bother me but I wasn't impressed with the packaging, one of the locos had twisted slightly off its guides in transit and the magnetic roof piece had become dislodged. Luckily it doesn't look like there is any damage to paintwork etc. The package hasn't been knocked about but I think this could happen quite a bit given that there is no contact packaging around the roof or sides.

The function list does not show whether controls should be momentary or latching? Also I find it odd to have a function like F2 controlling two completely different types of function horn/brake depending upon the mode. I don't think I've seen that before but the manual brake is an important function that I use a lot - so which one is it? Normally F2 on Bachy Zimos and ESUs.

Class56(1).jpg.da7565aa5e163df296a628e3a616de09.jpg

Edited by APT Fan

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, APT Fan said:

The function list does not show whether controls should be momentary or latching? Also I find it odd to have a function like F2 controlling two completely different types of function horn/brake depending upon the mode. I don't think I've seen that before but the manual brake is an important function that I use a lot - so which one is it? Normally F2 on Bachy Zimos and ESUs.

Class56(1).jpg.da7565aa5e163df296a628e3a616de09.jpg

The way I read that is with F25 on then F2 is brake.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Norski said:

Same boat as me. I ordered four on 7/3/21. Don't panic Mr Mannering.

I’d give Rails a ring if I were you, as (not for the first time) they’d messed things up at their end. When I phoned Wednesday it was to specifically update my payment card details on my account as they’d have changed since 2021, when I placed my order within minutes of the announcement of the models.

Was told not to worry and I’d get an invoice by email as they were doing them in batches.  Still nothing by Friday and it seemed that rather a lot of people were getting theirs!  Called them back - “Oh, yes, we can’t send it because we’ve not got an up to date card on the system for you……” 🤦🏻‍♂️🙄

To be fair the lad I dealt with was really helpful and apologetic.  I obviously got the work experience girl on Wednesday.  It’s very much a first world problem, and will make zero difference to my life, but it’s a little frustrating that if they’d sorted it Wednesday I’d have had it for the weekend……

Edited by aureol40012
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, spamcan61 said:

The way I read that is with F25 on then F2 is brake.

Yes I read it that way but why combine it with notching? I want the brake available at all times, its quite important. Hopefully it will make sense when I run it, I'm speculating a bit with this. The main thing is I need to know about momentary / latching which is also quite important.