Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Windows 11. Anyone going to install it? Plus discussion and observations, experience etc.

melmerby

Don't think I'll be contributing much on Win 11 beyond this!

• The upgrade tool doesn't think much of my computer.
  • Admittedly its so old that Win 10 is about what it can support
  • I'll keep using it until either it or Win 10 falls off their perch
  • Then I'll get a new one, which will have the latest version of windows pre-installed

I've been a sceptical Microsoft user since DOS 3.2 and Windows 3.11 (probably had DOS 5 under it by then) and I've found that it doesn't pay to rush into things...  :scared: :crazy:

• Like 1
  • Agree 10

I think it's a "wait and see".

The checker says my computer is not compatible, but that might change. It's not that old and it might just need a tweak. I didn't get that big May 2020 update until recently as it was something to do with the sound drivers not being compatible. Now I've got it.

However they are still supporting Win 10 until at least 2025 so by the time that's obsolete it might be time to get a new computer anyway.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

It should be noted that Microsoft have said they would offer a free upgrade to Windows 11 for windows 10 users.

This can save you a fair bit of cash over time assuming your PC can handle it - though if it can't and you know a bit about computers then you could always upgrade the hardware - install windows 10 then upgrade to 11.

The last Windows version I bought was Windows 7 and I took up Microsoft free upgrade to Windows 10 when it was offered and will do the same with 11. In that time I have also rebuilt my PC twice with new motherboard, processor, etc,

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

The last Windows version I bought was Windows 7 and I took up Microsoft free upgrade to Windows 10 when it was offered and will do the same with 11. In that time I have also rebuilt my PC twice with new motherboard, processor, etc,

A man after my own heart.

One of my PC cases had had maybe 3 different motherboards and I upgraded from Windows XP up to Win 10 on the same motherboard with only a BIOS update from XP to 7 needed.

I decided it was getting a bit long in the tooth and did another rebuild with a new board with AMD Ryzen processor to speed it up using the same Win 10 license but it was wrecked when the railway room was flooded in 2018.

Currently my best bet for Win 11 is a new AMD based PC that I built 2-3 years ago to replace the flooded one, although I'm disappointed the processor is already not good enough.

The Motherboard will support faster CPUs so maybe a change? It does however need the add on plug-in TPM module which are currently OOS!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As someone in the Windows 10 thread said, depending on your motherboard you may only need to enable TPM in the BIOS firmware as it is switched off by default.
Search in the help (yes, there is one at bottom right) on BIOS page or go to advanced function page on BIOS and look for TPM and change the firmware option to enabled.

Then try running the MS checker again.

DT

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

There is also a list of supported processors for windows 11 which appear to be very restrictive. https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/windows-11-leaves-computers-out

Though it seems likely that preview builds of Windows 11 will install on any machine that meets the on-paper requirements of TPM 2.0 with secure boot, a 1-GHz 64-bit dual-core CPU, 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage space, Microsoft has hinted that any processor that's older than an 8th Gen Intel Core series CPU or AMD Ryzen 2000 chip may be left out in the cold.

Microsoft posted official AMD and Intel CPU compatibility lists, which omit processors that came out as recently as 2017 and are still actively sold. For example, Microsoft's own Surface Studio 2, which can cost up to $5,000 and is still made and sold, tops out with a 7th Gen,  Core i7-7820HQ CPU. While it's possible that these compatibility lists aren't the final word for when Windows 11 launches, a company exec has strongly implied that they are.

AMD list: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-amd-processors

Intel list: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

I suppose Microsoft is trying to minimise the processor architectures it has to provide support for, and anyone who has a PC without an approved CPU is going to be left out in the cold.  By not supporting older CPU families, the core code base can be made more compact and less susceptible to bugs and crashes due to misidentification of the processor and clashes with supporting code.

Not very helpful for the loyal user, but it saves Microsoft money in the long run, and that's all that matters to them.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Indeed, but I think they have built a rod for their own back in terms of people expecting access to the latest OS. Windows 3.1 through Vista didn’t have the expectations of access to the latest OS, and certainly the circles I move in where quite sceptical initially about the free updates from 7 to 10 (I don’t believe my employer had any windows 8 equipment, preferring 7 pro, so will ignore that one).

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Torper said:

As someone in the Windows 10 thread said, depending on your motherboard you may only need to enable TPM in the BIOS firmware as it is switched off by default.
Search in the help (yes, there is one at bottom right) on BIOS page or go to advanced function page on BIOS and look for TPM and change the firmware option to enabled.

Then try running the MS checker again.

DT

Indeed - on both my PCs that works. In the BIOS it usually shows for Intel processors as PTT, as it does on my 3-year-old PC with Gigabyte motherboard and Intel 8100 processor. After enabling this option the Windows 11 check says OK and in Device Manager I see this - 

DM.JPG.f1cca762cc3a491ece5f46901dc20a6a.JPG

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Premium

Seems odd that they are not supporting AMD Zen(1) but are supporting Zen(1)+ (2xxx CPUs, 3200 and 3400 APUs). I didn't think there was much difference between the two in technical details.

• RMweb Premium
On 27/06/2021 at 08:52, Torper said:

DT

The Gigabyte board  I have adds the TPM by a plug in module, it is not there by default.

The board is an Auros Gaming AX-370.

• RMweb Premium

Probably not until I'm left with no choice due to needing or wanting a new computer to play games on and that's all it'll come with (game support for other OSs than Windows is rather limited). I'd be surprised if my current machine doesn't support it though, I only got it a week ago.

• Like 1

My current laptop doesn't support it anyway, and it hides the BIOS so I can't immediately see if I could change the TPM thingy.

It's 4 years old though, so by the time W10 is no longer supported I'll probably have replaced it anyhow.

• RMweb Premium

Both my AMD CPU boards have a TPM socket (MSI from 2017 & Gigabyte from 2018/9), although in that video it seems to suggest all Ryzen processors have it already built in.

I did read earlier, before this Win 11 stuff, that they use an ARM co-processor piggy backed with the main one to do it's functions.

EDIT the MSI Intel board from 2012 also has a TPM connector.

I notice there are different ones for different motherboards - brilliant!:(

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Well I have received a notification telling me WINDOWS 11 IS COMING....

When I clicked on it, it disappeared so there was no information in it.

That's OK, we need a few guinea pigs!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I decide it was time to give my Railway Room PC a refresh (AMD Ryzen 5 1400, Crucial SSD, 16Gb & 2 Radeon display cards)

It was not suitable for Windows 11 as there was no TPM enabled and the processor was also not fast enough. I had intended getting a better processor at the start but decided on the Ryzen 5 1400.

I was going to get a Ryzen 5 3600 but found my normal supplier had a Ryzen 7 3700X at the same price (big discount on RRP) so I opted for that instead.

I needed to do a fair bit of tweaking as the new processor needed a couple of BIOS updates to enable it, as well as different chipset drivers.

After several days messing around I now have my upgraded PC working fine, I also decided to change the SSD for a Samsung 970 Evo Plus M2 device (the Sata one has a new home elsewhere!)

What a transformation , I now have a PC with an 8 core 3.6/4.2 Ghz processor and blisteringly fast disk transfers.

It now qualifies for a free update for Win 11 when available - which is well into 2022 according to reports.

Lets hope it worth having.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was going to check my PC for compatibility, but apparently the checker has been taken down; it was giving too many false results.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, melmerby said:

It now qualifies for a free update for Win 11 when available - which is well into 2022 according to reports.

Lets hope it worth having.

Don't hold your breath! I have been part of the Windows Insider program since 2015, and have installed the preview version of Windows 11 on my test PC. MS have relaxed the rules for Insiders so that they can test on their current rigs, but won't be allowed to install the production verison when it comes, if the PC is not compliant. So my 8-year old, 2nd generation Intel PC (long ago cast aside by my daughter when she replaced it something better!) is now running Windows 11. Seems most of the changes are to appearance and to enhance the "user experience". Otherwise it looks little different to Windows 10.

With Windows 10 Home, MS introduced improved security by enforcing updates and an active anti-virus at all times. Seems with Windows 11 they're taking security one step further with the TPM requirements, something they could not have done via a cumulative update to W10. My Windows 11 system currently reports that it's 21H2. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1