Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Windows 11. Anyone going to install it? Plus discussion and observations, experience etc.

melmerby

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Nickey Line said:

Yes you're right... I have an NVIDIA graphics card too, a GT710, with a driver date of 30/09/2020... I'm kind of hoping that Win11 will manage any necessary driver updates (I seem to get at least 1 a month...) or is that too much to expect?

Either way it works fine at the moment...:huh:

It'll depend whether or not nVidia wants Microsoft to distribute its drivers.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Reorte said:

It'll depend whether or not nVidia wants Microsoft to distribute its drivers.

Having just checked on the NVIDIA website the only update available is a 'Game Ready' one, so maybe I'll leave it for now, and see what happens :blink:

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Nickey Line said:

Having just checked on the NVIDIA website

I've also had a peruse of NVIDIA support and found the following articles...

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4733/~/nvidia-control-panel-windows-store-app

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3716/kw/does windows update nvidia drivers

...which would seem to suggest that Windows Update will handle driver updates, though it's hardly conclusive.

• RMweb Gold

I have a Nvidia GT 1030 in my main PC and have just updated to the latest drivers. I downloaded the 511.23 GRD level and all is fine. Just double-clicked on the .exe file.  I don't play games so I didn't bother with the Geforce Experience component. My Railway Room PC for Traincontroller has a GT 720 and that too now has 511.23.  No problems with either.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The thing I noticed with nVidia was that the driver packages for this Win 10 PC (and hence Win 11 also) had expanded considerably over time.

e.g. Version 355.60 was 285.790MB, whereas version by 471.11 it had gone up to 737.280MB.

That's not counting all the ancillary files, some of which are in 10s of MB

Considering the PC doesn't even have an Nvidia card anymore, there is an awful lot of junk to remove.:D

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Something I have noticed with my Railway Room Win 11 PC is, when booting up, the Internet connects instantly, however after a reboot following an update, it does not connect again and I have to manually persuade it. Not sure where to look to find what needs tweaking.

(With this PC on Win 10 it always re-connects straight after a reboot.)

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, melmerby said:

Something I have noticed with my Railway Room Win 11 PC is, when booting up, the Internet connects instantly, however after a reboot following an update, it does not connect again and I have to manually persuade it. Not sure where to look to find what needs tweaking.

(With this PC on Win 10 it always re-connects straight after a reboot.)

Via wireless? I've got a Win 10 computer downstairs that connected via wifi and never does it instantly. It will if left for a few minutes, but I can connect it manually before that.

There is a "reconnect automatically" option that sometimes manages to untick itself (still takes a few minutes when it is ticked on 10).

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Reorte said:

Via wireless? I've got a Win 10 computer downstairs that connected via wifi and never does it instantly. It will if left for a few minutes, but I can connect it manually before that.

There is a "reconnect automatically" option that sometimes manages to untick itself (still takes a few minutes when it is ticked on 10).

No. It's all cabled and it's only on reboot after an update. It didn't behave that way when still on Win 10. It's fine when first powered up, as soon as the main screen appears it is connected.

The devices that use Wireless to connect to the internet on Win 10 (two laptops) both connect straight away on power up and also after a reboot

1 hour ago, Reorte said:

The "reconnect automatically" box will untick itself if you click on the Disconnect button before shutting down. I turn off WiFi completely by clicking on the bottom left Wi-Fi button because I often want to do things without Windows/anti-virus/etc hogging the computer when I restart.

When I'm ready for the internet, I just re-enable WiFi and it reconnects.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Oh dear....

Windows Update is now offering the opportunity to update my computer to Windows 11....

Go ahead, no more hassle than Win 10.

I wish this PC I'm on now could upgrade but the processor is too old, even if more than capable. The board has a TPM socket and the PC meets the other requirements.

I can't change the processor as Intel (unlike AMD) change sockets often and a newer one wont fit.

It would be nice if this one would even upgrade to Win 10 21H2! My laptop did it ages ago.

The "not connecting instantly" I mentioned earlier seems to have more or less sorted itself, well it's not exactly instantly now but within 10-15 secs of power up, which isn't a problem.

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I wish this PC I'm on now could upgrade but the processor is too old, even if more than capable. The board has a TPM socket and the PC meets the other requirements.

The wife's PC is similar - Haswell 4th generation, but with a TPM slot on the motherboard. I splashed out £14 for a TPM 2.0 module, and the update was straightforward. The install process warned me that the PC was not compatible, but let me upgrade to W11 without me having to hack anything. It runs fine and no slower than W10.  The Intel integrated graphics was no longer supported but I had a basic Nvidia graphics card that has supported drivers, so all is well.

The C drive is a 60 Gb SSD, and I have a spare one of these on which I have saved the W10 configuration. Now and and then I boot from this to keep it up to date, so if it comes to the point that W11 no longer works on this PC I have a fallback. I also know what a new motherboard, processor and memory would cost - Windows licence is Retail so would work on any upgrade. 

One issue I've noticed with W11 is that it's no longer syncing time like it's supposed to. My Railway Room PC had not synced since clean install in November and was now 8 minutes slow. Worth keeping an eye on till it's fixed. 

Edited by RFS
Grammar

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, melmerby said:

Since I posted an hour ago I( decided to force the Win 10 21H2 update, so that's out of the way

I decided to pre-empt the 21H2 update and did all 3 machines, 2 desktops and one laptop. All successful.

A couple of days later(update Tuesday) the laptop was found to have downloaded, installed and restarted, the update to 21H2. I checked it as it was set not to do that. I like to manually download and restart. The desktops behaved normally and I manually restarted. All a bit odd, but no unforeseen problems.

All 3 machines say they are not Windows 11 compatible. I'm not overly concerned about that ATM.

Rob

• RMweb Premium
On 12/02/2022 at 11:45, RFS said:

One issue I've noticed with W11 is that it's no longer syncing time like it's supposed to. My Railway Room PC had not synced since clean install in November and was now 8 minutes slow. Worth keeping an eye on till it's fixed. 

Is this the clock in bottom RH corner?

If so my Win 11 install is fine.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Is this the clock in bottom RH corner?

If so my Win 11 install is fine.

That's the one but is it syncing? Have a look at settings -> time and language -> date and time.  It's supposed to sync on a regular basis but none of my 3 W11 systems are doing so. 

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, RFS said:

That's the one but is it syncing? Have a look at settings -> time and language -> date and time.  It's supposed to sync on a regular basis but none of my 3 W11 systems are doing so. 

I haven't altered it since the upgrade to Win 11 from 10, in November and it still shows the correct time.

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Having updated the BIOS on my Asus motherboard I see that MS is now offering me Windows 11.  I've got a reasonably up to date PC and Windows10 is very stable.  I also use some "legacy" programmes dating back to the 1990s which I cannot contemplate losing and run OK on 10.  What I basically want to know is if anyone has noted any improvements in Windows 11 over 10 that really make the hassle of moving worthwhile, and if anyone has had problems in Windows11 with older programmes that nevertheless ran on 10.

DT

• RMweb Premium

I see Win 11 as an incremental upgrade, for the average user there doesn't seem to be anything really earth shatteringly new in it.

The biggest change is the fact that after saying Win10 was to be the last Windows and all upgrades were to be part of that, MS have changed tack and introduced a 'new' version, meaning Win 10 now has an end date. Still a way off but if you have a recent PC that you intend keeping, Win 10 may run out of support during it's lifespan.

This website (article now a bit old) gives a brief description and seems to suggest program compatibily shouldn't be aproblem:

https://www.techadvisor.com/buying-advice/windows/windows-10-apps-windows-11-3806991/

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

I run a number of legacy Windows "apps", and all continued to work as advertised with W11.  As Keith notes above, in reality W11 is an incemental update on W10 rather than a fundamental shift in the core OS.

I would be amazed if you hit any issues with an upgrade.

Steve

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

Oh well, now that I've downloaded the Win10 reinstallation pack from Dell, I've decided to bite the bullet and try out Win11.

Gulp!

If things go really pear-shaped, there's always Linux....

I posted this when I started the installation process. After over eight hours, Windows is STILL trying to install Windows...

2am. Finally done.  I don't know how Microsoft can make it such a painful process. And "borderless windows" are frankly uninspiring, as are the flat icons.

Edited by Hroth
Exasperated update. Exasperated update (2)

• RMweb Premium

I'm currently on Win10, but periodically it suggests that I'd like to change to W11, which I always decline.  Is there a way of telling it to stop asking ?

Adrian

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, figworthy said:

I'm currently on Win10, but periodically it suggests that I'd like to change to W11, which I always decline.  Is there a way of telling it to stop asking ?

Adrian

Just update to win 11 👍🏻

It's painless.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1