Dapol N gauge 59 out of abeyance

Paul.Uni

A question for anyone that's received their Dapol Class 59 (I know people are raving about the RevolutioN 59, I'm still not convinced by the look of the removable body section), especially 59 001, have you got an NEM coupling on one end?  Mine has arrived with 2 full air dams and no coupling.  Is this a factory mistake with mine or are they all like that?  Thanks.

31 minutes ago, robf said:

(I know people are raving about the RevolutioN 59, I'm still not convinced by the look of the removable body section)

I was a little skeptical too, but even after coming off and on a few times it's such a good fit that it's practically invisible. Even aside from that, I'd say there's more and finer detail on the Revolution locos, the etched grilles for instance look considerably better to me than Dapol's moulded ones.

• RMweb Gold

I don’t suppose anyone has an example from both manufacturers that they could photograph side by side for comparison? I’m sure any “undecided” potential buyers would find that very useful.

• Like 1

I know what you mean about finer detail, I do worry about more things falling off, especially at this size.  I am tempted by their 59101 – Heidelberg Materials Ltd Edition though.

9 hours ago, The Pilotman said:

I don’t suppose anyone has an example from both manufacturers that they could photograph side by side for comparison? I’m sure any “undecided” potential buyers would find that very useful.

Good idea. From Kernow's pages, Dapol first:
WEB_240321_DAPOL_2D-005-000_2.jpg.a135b1e3cfb18ad2d89308b0b122ebad.jpgWEB_240322_REVOLUTION_RT-N59-FY-001DC_2.jpg.29f525f4d9669d8616b55caf0777f3e5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A useful comparison image. Unless you get a magnifying glass out there is very little difference between the two, although Revolution’s is slightly more detailed. For me, it will always be livery allocation and running qualities that matter most. 

Neither colour blue looks right me in these photos but it might be the lighting doing it. I have to say that of the two GBRF liveried ones out the Dapol one looks closer to the real thing, Revolution’s orange looks too dark to me, but again hard to be certain in photos. Similarly the Dapol DB grey looks far too light.

I have the Hanson Revolution 59 on order so will be looking forward to it arriving, but for the 66 I’ll be holding off to see which has the most accurate colours of each livery before purchasing. I suspect I will end up with at least one of each manufacturer…and then of course Farish will inevitably have a new 66 out soon as well…

David 

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

One silencer seems to be left-handed, one right 🤔

A bit of googling would suggest that the silencer has been seen in both positions so both manufacturers are correct. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 24/03/2024 at 08:48, Kris said:

A bit of googling would suggest that the silencer has been seen in both positions so both manufacturers are correct. 

I am reluctant to post in another manufacturer's page so rather than go into details here I have added some explanatory notes about details and lighting in the Revolution thread.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

One silencer seems to be left-handed, one right 🤔

59001 - 004 built with them driver's side.

Later locos built with it on the secondman's side. 001 - 004 were modified, around the time 005 was delivered from memory. 

This change was to prevent exhaust fumes and particles getting drawn into the clean air compartment grill that is directly below the exit when on the driver's side. 

Jo

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Happily purchased a Dapol N 59005 to complement the Revolution pair I have.  While very happy with sound on both (the Dapol was a little loud by default!), I noticed the side lights on 59005 (i.e. the Yeoman 59/0) only show on one side of the loco.  The instructions seem to suggest you can have day or night lights, or off, using internal switches.  Watching videos of 59/0's I cannot find an occasion of just one side light being on.

Does the Dapol N gauge 59 only illuminate one white marker or should the model have both lit, i.e. as per the real loco?

I have tried looking through this and the OO threads and it does read like there is/was an issue with the OO and I think I saw mention it may be addressed in future.  I wondered if it may have been addressed on the N gauge model.

Just trying to ascertain if my model is faulty, or as per the manufacturer designed it.

Thanks in advance,

Ixion.

• RMweb Premium

Looking at images the Revolution model seems to have an edge, but the Dapol one also looks very good and running on a layout I suspect few would notice them apart.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, 97403_Ixion said:

Hi all,

Happily purchased a Dapol N 59005 to complement the Revolution pair I have.  While very happy with sound on both (the Dapol was a little loud by default!), I noticed the side lights on 59005 (i.e. the Yeoman 59/0) only show on one side of the loco.  The instructions seem to suggest you can have day or night lights, or off, using internal switches.  Watching videos of 59/0's I cannot find an occasion of just one side light being on.

Does the Dapol N gauge 59 only illuminate one white marker or should the model have both lit, i.e. as per the real loco?

I have tried looking through this and the OO threads and it does read like there is/was an issue with the OO and I think I saw mention it may be addressed in future.  I wondered if it may have been addressed on the N gauge model.

Just trying to ascertain if my model is faulty, or as per the manufacturer designed it.

Thanks in advance,

Ixion.

It’s by design, and it’s wrong. All 4 lights should be illuminated. I have seen it fixed, but not sure how. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1