Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

8 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

At last a SF grey roof. That’s definitely one for me.

As for 47363, I stand to be corrected but was it the only 47 in Railfreight red stripe with the large BR logo on top of the red band? Since the loco was originally in Railfreight grey, I always assumed the red band was added but cropped so it didn’t cover the BR logo. But why bother…? If instead it was a full repaint by TE depot, why not the smaller logo?

Good spot! Why not the standard size numbers for the livery? Could be any number of reasons - I'm assuming the logo would have been a sticker, maybe they'd ran out of smaller ones that day or the wrong one picked up of the shelves and only realised when it landed over the red. Its definitely an interesting variation though

2 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I can remember when 47's with grey roofs were exotic and caused a lot of excitement back in my spotting days as a boy.

Same here and the western region namers

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Suzy Sulzer said:

Lets hope we will have our prayers come true for what we called "trad Western Region namers" .Be it in either BR livery .

My feeling we will.

Is that pre TOPS blue 🤪

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

At last a SF grey roof. That’s definitely one for me.

As for 47363, I stand to be corrected but was it the only 47 in Railfreight red stripe with the large BR logo on top of the red band? Since the loco was originally in Railfreight grey, I always assumed the red band was added but cropped so it didn’t cover the BR logo. But why bother…? If instead it was a full repaint by TE depot, why not the smaller logo?

i suspect it wasnt a full repaint, but a touch up. Adding the redstripe and Railfreight logos would mean the double arrow not looking symmetrical, so adding a bit of extra white lining for the logo would even it out without a full repaint.

Tinsley didnt seem to work to any known convention when it came to paint, or unofficial namings for that matter. I suspect many of their paint jobs originated at the pub or the bacon butty van.

looking over 1987 photos it seems to have gotten the red stripe  between January 13th (seen at Laira) and February 7th (photographed same day /train at Stockport and Leeds), but none of the images show it “ex-works”, indeed the “railfreight” logo under the cab is weathered and damaged on February 7th. For completeness it started Jan 1987 at Buxton, and Sheffield before the Laira sighting, and after its 6E23 exploits made its way to Glasgow, where theres a few images of it.

47363 is an easy one to follow online, it was a popular one because of its large numbers, but must admit I preferred it as original… that was a failing of Tinsley not knowing when to stop tweaking liveries.

Edited by adb968008

9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

i suspect it wasnt a full repaint, but a touch up. Adding the redstripe and Railfreight logos would mean the double arrow not looking symmetrical, so adding a bit of extra white lining for the logo would even it out without a full repaint.

Tinsley didnt seem to work to any known convention when it came to paint, or unofficial namings for that matter. I suspect many of their paint jobs originated at the pub or the bacon butty van.

looking over 1987 photos it seems to have gotten the red stripe  between January 13th (seen at Laira) and February 7th (photographed same day /train at Stockport and Leeds), but none of the images show it “ex-works”, indeed the “railfreight” logo under the cab is weathered and damaged on February 7th. For completeness it started Jan 1987 at Buxton, and Sheffield before the Laira sighting, and after its 6E23 exploits made its way to Glasgow, where theres a few images of it.

47363 is an easy one to follow online, it was a popular one because of its large numbers, but must admit I preferred it as original… that was a failing of Tinsley not knowing when to stop tweaking liveries.

Are you sure is wasn't Thornaby that did this livery modification?

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, GD said:

Are you sure is wasn't Thornaby that did this livery modification?

Thornaby did the original job.

i thought TI took it over ?

looking online it didnt spend much time at either, it spent much of 1986 in Scotland for instance.

Edited by adb968008

7 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Thornaby did the original job.

i thought TI took it over ?

looking online it didnt spend much time at either, it spent much of 1986 in Scotland for instance.

Thornaby loco from May 1984 until October 1990 according to class47.co.uk

• Agree 1

Re 47363 it was a Thornaby special to start with, a non standard variation of Railfreight Grey with the white stripe etc. not full Red Stripe Railfreight. As i recall it carried the white Thornaby Kingfisher logo initially as did most of their locos at the time.

I cannot recall whether it ever received the colour Kingfisher logo.

Lima produced a model of it back in the day as I had one and repainted it into triple grey Railfreight sector livery as 47600 Dewi Sant/Saint David. Over 30 years ago now…

At the time Thornaby locos were often featured in the pages of Rail Enthusiast/Rail magazine so might be a source of images.

Edited by norfolkchinaclay
Add text

21 hours ago, GD said:

Same here and the western region namers

21 hours ago, Suzy Sulzer said:

Lets hope we will have our prayers come true for what we called "trad Western Region namers" .Be it in either BR livery .

My feeling we will.

Grimy Times has a couple of Blue FYE weathered and re-numbered "Atlas & Samson"

21 minutes ago, 89A said:

Grimy Times has a couple of Blue FYE weathered and re-numbered "Atlas & Samson"

I was tempted by Atlas, as I have fond memories of that loco taking me to Plymouth and back in the last summer of Virgin XC workings.

However, the loco is not a match for the 47012 model used, as 012 was a Brush built one and 082 was built at Crewe. Plus, 012 had a Spanner boiler, while the 082 had a Clayton type.

Cameron

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/07/2022 at 07:29, Suzy Sulzer said:

My feeling we will.

We’ll see. For me, Bachmann has had a preference for Eastern Region locos when producing go anywhere 47s. With the previous 47 tooling, both WR allocated namers were retailer limited editions - IKB in BR blue for Modelzone and MAMMOTH in green SYP for Kernow MRC. Bachmann’s standard release on the other hand was THOR in green FYE with red-backed nameplate when allocated to Stratford, so not a true WR namer.

• RMweb Gold

My hope is Scottish Highland 47’s… ED/IS examples, late 1980’s, as after the 158’s arrived they were displaced to the North West and WR in the exact same liveries, appearing on Cross Country, Trans Penine, Parcels and Mail workings from the NE to the SW.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 28/07/2022 at 00:54, brushman47544 said:

We’ll see. For me, Bachmann has had a preference for Eastern Region locos when producing go anywhere 47s. With the previous 47 tooling, both WR allocated namers were retailer limited editions - IKB in BR blue for Modelzone and MAMMOTH in green SYP for Kernow MRC. Bachmann’s standard release on the other hand was THOR in green FYE with red-backed nameplate when allocated to Stratford, so not a true WR namer.

Were see when the Quarterly announcements are made on WENDSAY AUGUST 3rd . 

I bought a second Bachmann 47012, mainly because it was at an attractive price, so luckily I found out that the numbers come off really easily. I  dabbed a little white spirit onto the numbers and left for 30 seconds then gentle worked them with a cocktail stick and the numbers turned in to a white paste that just wiped off.  

So I chose 47007 because it was ex works in April 1981 and stratford didn't get a20220801_131451.jpg.df3974777b9537ea6649f4e4de6e5e5c.jpground to painting the grey roof until the following year. The transfers are rub down, slightly smaller than bachmanns printed numbers.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just found the "before" pics for my 47/3 conversion as seen above plus here is a link to the full product line for A1 on Ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l2632&_nkw=a1+models&_sacat=180250

47 slow speed drive.jpg

47 boiler blanking.jpg

This image shows that the Brush type reinforcement fillet under the front valance is in visible at normal viewing distance.

47341 pic10

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

Those waiting on 47435 in blue, 47526 in faded LLB, 47711 in LLB,  47712 in Scotrail, 47376 in F’liner and 47790 in DRS liveries will have to wait  a bit longer, the Bachmann website now saying sep/oct for those models. 

Edited by Tiddles47
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 minutes ago, Tiddles47 said:

Those waiting on 47435 in blue, 47526 in faded LLB, 47711 in LLB,  47712 in Scotrail, 47376 in F’liner and 47790 in DRS liveries will have to wait  a bit longer, the Bachmann website now saying sep/oct for those models. 

Strange that, as my local model shop Bachmann rep to him that the 47's will be delivered thru August in smaller batches, so folk didn't have to shell out lots of money in one go. Just goes to show that not everything you hear is right.

1 hour ago, Tony Walker said:

Strange that, as my local model shop Bachmann rep to him that the 47's will be delivered thru August in smaller batches, so folk didn't have to shell out lots of money in one go. Just goes to show that not everything you hear is right.

I thought so too. Specially given that Cheltenham models are saying 30th august for 47711 ( which is what ive been waiting years for)  do they know something Bachmann don’t? 

17 minutes ago, Tiddles47 said:

I thought so too. Specially given that Cheltenham models are saying 30th august for 47711 ( which is what ive been waiting years for)  do they know something Bachmann don’t? 

Given that until this morning the release date for 35-415 on the Bachmann website stated 'Jul/Aug', it's more likely that Cheltenham haven't had a chance to update their website since Bachmann updated the release dates.

Edited by Paul.Uni

6 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

Given that until yesterday the release date for 35-415 on the Bachmann website stated 'Jul/Aug', it's more likely that Cheltenham haven't had a chance to update their website since Bachmann updated the release dates.

Yes I realise that but what I meant  was up until this morning hen B’Mann updated their dates, Cheltenham have said 30th august, wen B’Mann had said jul/aug. 

11 minutes ago, Tiddles47 said:

Yes I realise that but what I meant  was up until this morning hen B’Mann updated their dates, Cheltenham have said 30th august, wen B’Mann had said jul/aug. 

So Cheltenham chose a date at the end of the planned Bachmann ETA. I'm sure that when Cheltemham update their website it'll probably say 30th or 31st October.

• 1 month later...

With the 47012 seemingly hanging around in the shops I have bought 2 more examples at a reasonable price, a sound fitted for £250 and a DCC ready for £160.

Then regret kicked in wondering what to do with them so a trip to halfords was made and I came away with a tin of racking grey paint. 

So, this is the result of a couple of hours work, 47160 of Haymarket depot and I have also 47155 of Stratford (not pictured).

I was intending buying a couple of 47003s to renumber but I am really pleased how these turned out, so probably saved myself a few pounds.

20220917_092612.jpg

20220917_092622.jpg

20220917_092641.jpg

• Like 13