Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

56 minutes ago, GD said:

what's this got to do with the new Bachmann 47?

I notice this a phenomena on many threads in here, Hornby and Dapols areas. There is this belief that some manufacturers products will be better than others regardless of physical (or lack of) evidence. This Bachmann 47 is superb and a real game changer for the hobby. It's a model that can be seen and bought in the shops by the masses unlike an SLW product for example, the Accurascale 37 is many moons away so surely cannot be used as a yardstick to measure the Bachmann 47 against?

Now I'm not saying Accurascale are anything like the likes of DJM but until I can hold one in my hand it's just promises.

NP

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Nickel Plate said:

I notice this a phenomena on many threads in here, Hornby and Dapols areas. There is this belief that some manufacturers products will be better than others regardless of physical (or lack of) evidence. This Bachmann 47 is superb and a real game changer for the hobby. It's a model that can be seen and bought in the shops by the masses unlike an SLW product for example, the Accurascale 37 is many moons away so surely cannot be used as a yardstick to measure the Bachmann 47 against?

Now I'm not saying Accurascale are anything like the likes of DJM but until I can hold one in my hand it's just promises.

NP

No comparison with DJM really is there, so a pointless comment? Accurascale (and as IRM) have delivered multiple products to a mostly very good reception (yes there is the odd moan from some quarters). I am very happy with all of my purchases.

Likewise SLW have delivered modes and I sit here looking at 6 of them - all excellent.

Roy

• Agree 6

15 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

No comparison with DJM really is there, so a pointless comment? Accurascale (and as IRM) have delivered multiple products to a mostly very good reception (yes there is the odd moan from some quarters). I am very happy with all of my purchases.

Likewise SLW have delivered modes and I sit here looking at 6 of them - all excellent.

Roy

You miss my point. I'm not comparing them to DJM. The point I made about SLW was that the general public cannot see the models... I think most modellers have probably never heard of SLW, I know people who haven't even heard of Bachmann.

NP

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Nickel Plate said:

You miss my point. I'm not comparing them to DJM. The point I made about SLW was that the general public cannot see the models... I think most modellers have probably never heard of SLW, I know people who haven't even heard of Bachmann.

NP

No, I didn't miss the point, and that is my point. Given the bad feeling towards DJM mention was completely irrelevant.

Roy

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Nickel Plate said:

NP

With apologies to GD, you make a good point about SLW. I got an early 24 but until I got it in my hands, I didn’t realise that the paintwork sought to match a finish dulled by exposure to the elements. That is perfectly fair; just not to my taste. When it comes to Accurascale, I’m pretty confident but Bachmann has the track record. Hornby is rapidly acquiring a track record too but it isn’t a good one.

I feel sorry for the people who haven’t heard of Bachmann. Every manufacturer drops a clanger from time to time, even Bachmann, but when I say “even Bachmann” it’s an indication that for me, Bachmann is the safest hands there are. Bachmann has become highly innovative – witness the 90 and the 47 and the standard of finish is very much to my taste.

The trouble with the 47 is that Bachmann’s earlier offerings are decent models, unlike Hornby’s 90 and 92. (Other opinions are perfectly valid.) I’d dearly like one but the trouble is that the market is full of expensive models which fill a gap. I’m not complaining about the prices, it’s just that I have only four eye teeth.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nickel Plate said:

NP

Accurascale 37 should be out in retailers by the end of the year (12 moons max). The pictures of the livery samples alone should be enough to inform about the quality of the product. The Accurascale 'group' have already produced a physical loco in the form of the A class, again physical evidence of quality, and production samples of the Deltic have just landed (and the full batch is all but finished in the factory, minus some small painted detail). At the point of tooling and livery samples, things are no longer just promises.

This said, the Bachmann 47 looks fantastic.

Nothing in my era in this first release (828 comes close but not quite as preserved), and the price is VERY high compared to the 'competition' (sound fitted only 47 is 339rrp vs 270 for a sound fitted 37.... £70 difference...., albeit some leeway for retailer discount). Is the Bachmann 47 that much of a step change from the Bachmann 90 in terms of detail or features?

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Accurascale 37 should be out in retailers by the end of the year (12 moons max). The pictures of the livery samples alone should be enough to inform about the quality of the product. The Accurascale 'group' have already produced a physical loco in the form of the A class, again physical evidence of quality, and production samples of the Deltic have just landed (and the full batch is all but finished in the factory, minus some small painted detail). At the point of tooling and livery samples, things are no longer just promises.

This said, the Bachmann 47 looks fantastic.

Nothing in my era in this first release (828 comes close but not quite as preserved), and the price is VERY high compared to the 'competition' (sound fitted only 47 is 339rrp vs 270 for a sound fitted 37.... £70 difference...., albeit some leeway for retailer discount). Is the Bachmann 47 that much of a step change from the Bachmann 90 in terms of detail or features?

If it helps, the 55 will be in customers hands in about 7 weeks time, and the first batch of 37s will follow right after, hopefully to land around June/July. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, McC said:

If it helps, the 55 will be in customers hands in about 7 weeks time, and the first batch of 37s will follow right after, hopefully to land around June/July. 

I thought, on the basis of Fran's posts in the Deltic thread, given the 55 tweaks to engine detail painting required after CNY they won't now be in stock until April (Q2)?... 7 weeks takes us back to mid-March time...

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Is the Bachmann 47 that much of a step change from the Bachmann 90 in terms of detail or features?

if you compare post retailer discount, which I'd argue is more realistic, they're much closer. Going by Kernow's prices:

DCC Sound 47 is £288.99

DCC Sound 90 is £280.95

whilst we're here, bearing in mind they don't really do retailer discount, the DCC Sound AS 55 is £250 and the post price raise 92 is now £279.98. 

So that's the 47, 90 and 92 all within a tenner of each other. I'd argue any comparison is on features not on price at this point. FWIW I have all of the above on order in one form or another, and I'm confident they're all going to be a similar level of quality, for the similar price point. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

I thought, on the basis of Fran's posts in the Deltic thread, given the 55 tweaks to engine detail painting required after CNY they won't now be in stock until April (Q2)?... 7 weeks takes us back to mid-March time...

Providing the shipment is prepped and there is a container and spare shipping it will take 4 weeks to ship and then through customers and shipped out so 7 is tight but possible just

That would indicate that it is sold out at Bachmann. The dealers will still be getting whatever orders they have had confirmed but no further orders can be taken. In fact looking at the list only the non-sound green and blue issues plus the Intercity non-sound and (non-deluxe) sound ones look to still be available for order from the first batch

• Like 1

It's interesting to see that many dealers are not offering any discount on list price for the SFX Class 47s; and that even so a number are already sold out on pre-order from various places. So it shows that there is a demand for models at that spec/price. The Network Rail DBSO also looks to be selling extremely well too. 

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

It's interesting to see that many dealers are not offering any discount on list price for the SFX Class 47s; and that even so a number are already sold out on pre-order from various places. So it shows that there is a demand for models at that spec/price. The Network Rail DBSO also looks to be selling extremely well too. 

We dont know how many are being made though, or the split between the three types.

The SFX ones are not subject to ebay scalping, so it would seem they have the supply / demand balance about right.

As mentioned above, the other lesser versions are still available. 

It might be confusing for a customer, having a base DC version makes sense for diehards like me, but with a £30 difference, on a £300+ DCC fitted model chosing between the Chrome trim Sport version and the basic version, you might as well go the extra difference at that price level… it makes more sense to me to cut out the inferior middle one.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

…..it makes more sense to me to cut out the inferior middle one.

Morning

Sorry I don’t agree. I am not convinced by the fans. I just don’t think the operation is prototypical. And I feel the windscreen treatment may make the new models standout from my older models. So I am happy that Bachmann retain the middle ground model, just my preference.

PJ10

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Now that I've got over my surprise at these new 47s so soon after the initial batch, and the absence of the BR green FYE version I was hoping for, I've just noticed that the new "catalogue" image of 47711 Greyfriars Bobby has car headlights not the later standard version shown before. Well done Bachmann for changing 47711 as it did not have the standard headlight when in large logo livery. 47712 did, but that's being produced in Scotrail livery - again.

Very pleased 47435 in BR Blue with dominoes is coming so soon after 47012. Now what can I renumber it to. My first choice ETH loco would match but never had dominoes... Perhaps I could backdate it with headcodes as PjKing1 did with 47012.

• RMweb Gold

47712 was (IIRC) in [RES] Parcels livery by the time it started passing my box, did it carry anything else in between Scotrail and that?

I always remember it being a bit sluggish in the getaway department compared to most classmates....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
Correction
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

47712 was (IIRC) in RES livery by the time it started passing my box, did it carry anything else in between Scotrail and that?

I always remember it being a bit sluggish in the getaway department compared to most classmates....

John

No, 47712 went straight from Scotrail into Parcels Red (not RES with the blue/grey logo). After that, it went into Waterman Black, Fragonset, etc. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

47712 was (IIRC) in RES livery by the time it started passing my box, did it carry anything else in between Scotrail and that?

John

It went from Scotrail to Parcels Red and Grey, are you meaning that as 'RES'?

47712 n

Rather than RES like this ... I'm not sure it ever carried this

47709 at London St Pancras in March 1995

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m happy to see more 47’s and I’ve bitten with 47712, I was tempted to pick up an old tooling of this but have just gone for the new tooling. For a minute I was excited at the thought of 47790, but remembered it carried Northern Belle livery in my era. It’s a shame they didn’t model a different one and then offer us 47790 in Northern Belle scheme. I think the missing link for modern era modellers in Bachmann’s range of 47 is flush front cut cab examples. Hopefully the tooling is there and will emerge soon in schemes that modellers want, I personally would like DRS 47853, DRS (swoosh) 47810, ROG 47813. And although not a flush front model 47580 in its modern guise would be nice.

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, billywhizz said:

Surprised they have chosen to do 47712 in Scotrail considering the same loco was a regional exclusive release (Northwest) a couple of years back with the original tooling. 

Indeed, I thought that. My order for a SFX 47711 is in, but I would have had a ScotRail offering as well if it were not of a loco that I already have. The old Bachmann version is not poor enough to warrant £300+ on an upgrade.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I had 47712 on order with Hornby but have decided for better sound quality, lighting and better all round detail to cancel it and go with the Bachmann one. I wonder if the choice of this model is just coincidence or deliberate that it duplicates the Hornby one.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2