Bute Road, ?

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium
On 04/03/2022 at 21:59, Andrew P said:

Still working out how to do the Station Forecourt area.

IMG_7329.JPG.3e2376a47a94edaecfd019d5484e8e48.JPG

IMG_7330.JPG.6a9ee3f46fbccf3f83f58d1969da0477.JPG

Personally I think it looks odd to have a station building on an overbridge parallel with the running lines, because I can’t imagine a real life situation like that. Why would an overbridge be built just to site the station and a turn-round area? The station would have been built alongside to save costs. An overbridge is needed to get from one side to the other, so the station would be on the bridge alongside a road crossing from one side of the line to the other. A parking area or lay-by could of course be included, or even a bus turn round point.

• Agree 2

Been trying to get on here since 07-30 this morning.

Somehow the last 35 seconds of the Video have gone missing. So a Freightliner and me saying Thanks for watching.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 6

35 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Personally I think it looks odd to have a station building on an overbridge parallel with the running lines, because I can’t imagine a real life situation like that. Why would an overbridge be built just to site the station and a turn-round area? The station would have been built alongside to save costs. An overbridge is needed to get from one side to the other, so the station would be on the bridge alongside a road crossing from one side of the line to the other. A parking area or lay-by could of course be included, or even a bus turn round point.

Mmmm Food for thought, cheers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

My idea was a bit like Walsall, or Mick Bryans Newbryford where a Shopping Centre is over the Tracks, There would have been a Shopping Centre or Multi Story Car Park to hide the Fiddle Yard area, making the Station look like it was going under the Town.

Here's the other thought.

IMG_7374.JPG.75298b28128db6453b4097a7f58f1c18.JPG

IMG_7378.JPG.ac41a42c429e63bb8f3be7985b2e622c.JPG

IMG_7379.JPG.27b784346a86d91e8418633ad42782e8.JPG

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hi Andy 

Might be worth looking at pictures of Wimbledon station. The main building is at right angles to the tracks as your last photo. Although the area in front of the building is now a pedestrian area, it was once  used as taxi drop off in the past. The main road is also at right angles to the tracks. Surrounding the station entrance are a number of other offices and shops ( it has changed over the years) which would create a view block on the sides of the half-relief station building. There are also a line of shops on the other side of the road. 

Nick 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the problem you have is that you purchased the set which included the building, you developed your initial station idea and as a low relief building it worked.

But now you have a scenic stabling point in front of the station and fiddleyard, the low relief building doesn't suit and you're trying to find a solution.  The only daft solution I can come up with (and it sort of happned in Doncaster to a different kind of building) is perhaps that you keep the station front but you then add in some of your 'shopping centre' right behind it - sort of as if the shopping centre has had to incorporate the station building in it's design because it was listed.

This is what they did in Doncaster, a bit more extreme as the old building front went behind the glass of it's replacement, but you get the idea.

image.png.53ff21167a552909cc3cde6cea612321.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stivesnick said:

Hi Andy 

Might be worth looking at pictures of Wimbledon station. The main building is at right angles to the tracks as your last photo. Although the area in front of the building is now a pedestrian area, it was once  used as taxi drop off in the past. The main road is also at right angles to the tracks. Surrounding the station entrance are a number of other offices and shops ( it has changed over the years) which would create a view block on the sides of the half-relief station building. There are also a line of shops on the other side of the road. 

Nick 

Thanks, Great info, I'll go and check it out.

Cheers.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I think the problem you have is that you purchased the set which included the building, you developed your initial station idea and as a low relief building it worked.

But now you have a scenic stabling point in front of the station and fiddleyard, the low relief building doesn't suit and you're trying to find a solution.  The only daft solution I can come up with (and it sort of happned in Doncaster to a different kind of building) is perhaps that you keep the station front but you then add in some of your 'shopping centre' right behind it - sort of as if the shopping centre has had to incorporate the station building in it's design because it was listed.

This is what they did in Doncaster, a bit more extreme as the old building front went behind the glass of it's replacement, but you get the idea.

image.png.53ff21167a552909cc3cde6cea612321.png

WOW, Shows how long ago it is since I last went to Donny, that is definitely a different approach to an old problem.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yes I can see what everybody is saying and I'm afraid Mr P I tend to agree.

I think it might be best to take a step back and let the old brain cell (s) mull it over. Could you perhaps concentrate on another area. I usually find that allows you to come up with a solution.

Sorry if this adds to your woes.

Ian

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Yes I can see what everybody is saying and I'm afraid Mr P I tend to agree.

I think it might be best to take a step back and let the old brain cell (s) mull it over. Could you perhaps concentrate on another area. I usually find that allows you to come up with a solution.

Sorry if this adds to your woes.

Ian

Or I could just Ri....................................................................................................:fie:

• Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Or I could just Ri....................................................................................................:fie:

No you just need a shiny shopping centre or office block over the tracks with the low relief station embedded in the front - it's all the rage these days.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

No No No.

I only said it because I recognized what you were doing - trying to use something that you had, the station, that didn't really now fit in, because it was  what I would do.

So Mr P you've made some very good improvements let's stick with them and put this to one side for the time being.

Step away from that station.

What about the corner where you were considering putting in some houses?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Sorry Mr P I've just reread that last post of mine and it's very pretentious and that wasn't my intention at all.

So just tell me to shut up and I'll go and stand on the naughty step in the corner- we may need an extension though as I think there'll be a few of us on it.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Andrew P said:

My idea was a bit like Walsall, or Mick Bryans Newbryford where a Shopping Centre is over the Tracks, There would have been a Shopping Centre or Multi Story Car Park to hide the Fiddle Yard area, making the Station look like it was going under the Town.

Here's the other thought.

IMG_7374.JPG.75298b28128db6453b4097a7f58f1c18.JPG

IMG_7378.JPG.ac41a42c429e63bb8f3be7985b2e622c.JPG

IMG_7379.JPG.27b784346a86d91e8418633ad42782e8.JPG

Hi Andrew, just reading about what you wanted to do above the station and thought this thread might give you some ideas: LINK

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, simon b said:

Hi Andrew, just reading about what you wanted to do above the station and thought this thread might give you some ideas: LINK

Brilliant, cheers for the link, Thanks very much for the link.:good:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Brilliant, cheers for the link, Thanks very much for the link.:good:

No problem, it's undergoing a rebuild at the moment. The up to date pics are here: LINK