Bute Road, ?

Andrew P

Why not put the station building in a row of shops in the same era as the building they could be typical of ones seen in station rows.The shops could be concrete structures such as  tobacconist ,chocolate sweets , leather products, florist ,clothes men and women .This was a group of stores outside a southern station but I cant remember were.the road outside could have car parking, bus stop,and a bay for the parcels lorry.Opposite the main road would pass seperated by hedges hope this helps Chris

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

Why not put the station building in a row of shops in the same era as the building they could be typical of ones seen in station rows.The shops could be concrete structures such as  tobacconist ,chocolate sweets , leather products, florist ,clothes men and women .This was a group of stores outside a southern station but I cant remember were.the road outside could have car parking, bus stop,and a bay for the parcels lorry.Opposite the main road would pass seperated by hedges hope this helps Chris

Originally I was thinking of something like Burton on Trent, with just the Station and Forecourt and Road over the Tracks.

image.png.e34e36e4719ee15026f736f3354ea465.png

image.png.d44e1e298098e835d6aa278d3cbe397e.png

The original Building at BoT.

image.png.9b14efda187999535db19d6f7e047ce4.png

• Like 7

The location of the original station and forecourt  at Bute road was remodelled along with the high street (off scene) in the 1980’s when the local government had excess money to burn from the introduction of the poll tax.

British Rail in its infinite wisdom saw an opportunity to sell off the crumbling Victorian structures, at an inflated price due to land values in the town centre. The result was a new station building that was built on a new outcrop built over the existing station platforms, hence its just a dead end, and in keeping with the councils planners requirements of the time, the station was built in the form of a pseudo retro Art Deco style building that was fashionable in the town.

hence why the station and forecourt was built on an outcrop over the station. 

• Like 2

Hi Andy

I watched you latest video last night, it’s the first one I’ve seen in a couple of months as I haven’t been able to keep up with this fast moving thread.  Loved the video and very pleased that you have kept with the privatisation stock, so you can bring something to run on my layout next month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think one of the problems you have Andy is that the station building is low relief and won't sit easily across the tracks unless you have a backscene behind it which is feasible since the fiddle yard is behind it

Paul R

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, 47606odin said:

The location of the original station and forecourt  at Bute road was remodelled along with the high street (off scene) in the 1980’s when the local government had excess money to burn from the introduction of the poll tax.

British Rail in its infinite wisdom saw an opportunity to sell off the crumbling Victorian structures, at an inflated price due to land values in the town centre. The result was a new station building that was built on a new outcrop built over the existing station platforms, hence its just a dead end, and in keeping with the councils planners requirements of the time, the station was built in the form of a pseudo retro Art Deco style building that was fashionable in the town.

hence why the station and forecourt was built on an outcrop over the station. 

Brilliant Ian, Cheers and GOOD food for thought. :dancer:  :good:

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Melangoose said:

Hi Andy

I watched you latest video last night, it’s the first one I’ve seen in a couple of months as I haven’t been able to keep up with this fast moving thread.  Loved the video and very pleased that you have kept with the privatisation stock, so you can bring something to run on my layout next month.

Thanks Nigel, You'll need to remind me of the date again please, as I forgot to write it down. 

Q. Do you use Kadee or std couplings?

26 minutes ago, pwr said:

I think one of the problems you have Andy is that the station building is low relief and won't sit easily across the tracks unless you have a backscene behind it which is feasible since the fiddle yard is behind it

Paul R

Cheers Paul, Yes that is a problem, but it will have a Backscene behind it somehow.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Thanks Nigel, You'll need to remind me of the date again please, as I forgot to write it down. 

Q. Do you use Kadee or std couplings?

Tuesday 12th April

Just use the standard Manufactures coupling, as the layout is “watching trains go by” most locos have buffer beam detailing.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Melangoose said:

Tuesday 12th April

Just use the standard Manufactures coupling, as the layout is “watching trains go by” most locos have buffer beam detailing.

Sorry Nigel,  I won't be able to be there as we are Rehearsing on Tuesday night. I try to rest during the afternoon, before leaping around for almost 4 hours like a demented Baboon on Steroids. :dancer:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Sorry Nigel,  I won't be able to be there as we are Rehearsing on Tuesday night. I try to rest during the afternoon, before leaping around for almost 4 hours like a demented Baboon on Steroids. :dancer:

21 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Not sure if its just me or my page, but the left side of the screen has gone WEIRD, with names coming down as well as across, and going over other writing. 

Most strange. :o

You answered your own queery in the post before.

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

10 hours ago, IAN K said:

Good video Andy .Have you lost your specs .You found a good photo of the old Burton station.

Cheers Eeeeeee, I hope your keeping well and keeping Tutbury Models in business, haha. :laugh:  :good:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Today was a BAD DAY. :angry:

I went to the Basingstoke Model Railway Show.:fie:

Saw some great Layouts. :banghead:

Bodmin General. N Gauge.

IMG_7441.JPG.b42f61411acdac3cf2ca170af5cf7374.JPG

Pine Road, OO Gauge.

IMG_7485.JPG.bf2f455e90b80b2218cf63d373c76b54.JPG

Dillmouth, O Gauge.

IMG_7477.JPG.42d41112491d321432af710636aa9182.JPG

Edited by Andrew P