The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Electric, Hybrid and Alternative fuelled vehicles - News and Discussion

Ron Ron Ron

There's a huge amount of off-peak capacity. I forget the figures but there's enough for a large expansion of EVs already.

Still waiting for Green Energy to come and fit a smart meter so I can charge overnight at 5p/kWh. Annual fuel bill of ~£300 would be nice.

The other thing is vehicle to grid. I already have a huge battery. When I arrive home at peak time I could plug the car in and run the house off it. OVO are doing a trial which I have signed up for. We'll see if I get picked....

M'yes, but people aren't going to wait for off-peak to come round before recharging their cars, are they? Human nature won't be changed any time soon

• RMweb Gold

One worrying thing I noticed on a TV programme last week, is that if an EV is involved in a crash and needs to be moved, the car can't be touched until someone comes along and confirms the battery hasn't gone open circuit, or similar, and made the exterior of the car live. That will make EV to EV car accidents interesting, do you stop in the car and die from your injuries, or do you electrocute yourself trying to escape the wreckage?

Mike.

M'yes, but people aren't going to wait for off-peak to come round before recharging their cars, are they? Human nature won't be changed any time soon

Home charging units can be timed to access off peak electricity.

Also at least one car manufacturer's home charging station, is available with an optional solar roof array (for the garage or house obviously !!!!  :jester: ).

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

The $64 million question?

Don't mix up wave with tidal generation though.

I'm quite baffled as to why there has been so much wasted research effort on trying to develop wave generation though.

At the same time so little effort put into tidal generation programmes.

The tides are a 100% guaranteed, 24/7, 365 potential source of electricity generation.

Unless some intergalactic space Gypsies, run off with the moon one night.

To a layman, tide and wave are interchangeable, certainly when it comes to this topic. Your point is well made though

Home charging units can be timed to access off peak electricity.

Also at least one car manufacturers home charging station, comes with the option of adding a solar roof array (for the garage or house obviously !!!!).

Yes but...when folk are actually going places - you know, the whole point of having a car - the last thing anyone wants is to be 'caught short', as it were...

Look at how many cars are on the road at any given time, many of them are on long journeys. Quick and reliable recharging HAS to be readily available before any widespread rollout of EVs can practically go ahead. However, given the history of planning - or lack of it, to be more accurate - of our infrastructure, I  can see this turning into yet another fiasco

• RMweb Gold

Yes they are.

Off peak is way cheaper and requires zero effort over peak charging. It's literally the same process.

Get home. Plug car in. Drive to work next day with a full tank.

That's 99% of everybody's typical journeys.

Look at how many cars are on the road at any given time, many of them are on long journeys...

Many of them are on longer journeys, but with some EV cars now having real (not claimed) ranges of 200 and 300 miles plus and with the next lot they are aiming at 400 mile ranges. The situation is getting better year on year.

Add in the Range Extenders and Plug-in models....

However they say something like 80% of all car journeys are less than 25/30 miles or so.

Many drivers could go for a few days without needing to recharge.

.....given the history of planning - or lack of it, to be more accurate - of our infrastructure, I  can see this turning into yet another fiasco

Of course it will be a fiasco.

This is Britain dear chap !

Even if it isn't a complete fiasco, the UK news media and cynical politicians will ensure it's presented as one.

• RMweb Premium

However they say something like 80% of all car journeys are less than 25/30 miles or so.

Many drivers could go for a few days without needing to recharge.

I think that is why PHEVs are a very attractive solution at the moment. I think most drivers would seldom use the petrol engine, but by retaining the engine it gives the flexibility for long journeys while keeping the weight of the battery down and avoiding the materials demand and weight of a large 200-300 mile range battery pack. And in performance mode some of the PHEVs (such as the BMW 330e) are seriously quick.

• RMweb Gold

I think that is why PHEVs are a very attractive solution at the moment. I think most drivers would seldom use the petrol engine, but by retaining the engine it gives the flexibility for long journeys while keeping the weight of the battery down and avoiding the materials demand and weight of a large 200-300 mile range battery pack. And in performance mode some of the PHEVs (such as the BMW 330e) are seriously quick.

I really don't rate PHEVs. If you only need the tiny range they can do on electric you might as well get a bicycle. Plus you have all the petrol servicing costs.

The only one that was any good was the Vauxhall Ampera/Chevy Volt that could do 50 miles.

• RMweb Premium

I really don't rate PHEVs. If you only need the tiny range they can do on electric you might as well get a bicycle. Plus you have all the petrol servicing costs.

The only one that was any good was the Vauxhall Ampera/Chevy Volt that could do 50 miles.

I agree that bicycling is good, but it isn't helpful if people are mobility impaired, have to carry baggage and lots of other reasons. At the moment urban driving is probably the most compelling application for EVs as urban areas are the ones that tend to have the biggest issue with local air pollution, daily mileage tends to be modest and can be met with a 25 - 40 mile range battery and in many areas public transport isn't especially great.

When I looked at the BMW 330e it wasn't really saving the world that attracted me to it, it was the performance and the fact you can get the performance of one of the high power 3 Series models with city run about running costs and a car that you can buy for less than the higher powered models, it is a fantastic car. As long as you don't need a decent boot. Servicing costs for the engine aren't that much, my car came with a five year £399 service pack, even without an engine cars will still need a service check (the engine part is basically just an oil and filter change).

Yes they are.

Off peak is way cheaper and requires zero effort over peak charging. It's literally the same process.

Get home. Plug car in. Drive to work next day with a full tank.

That's 99% of everybody's typical journeys.

I admire your optimism :)

• Like 1

I know four people with EVs. All are vowing to ditch them at the earliest opportunity for various reasons. The main gripe would appear to 

be unreliability and some very creative range claims by the manufacturers. 

My neighbor's Nissan Leaf has been recovered so many times from his house it's become a running joke. It's simply "bricks" and refuses

to move at the drop of a hat. He also says it struggles to complete his 40 mile daily commute on a charge! 250 mile range? yeah right!

Also where I live in Suffolk there are very few charging points. Obviously this might change over time but certainly for now it's a complete

non-starter. 

Personally I'll be sticking to something that actually does what I need a car to do.

Edited by admiles
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's just a shame somebody can't invent a V8 battery to replicate the sensory experience. I think EVs are the future and can already demolish high performance ICE cars (assuming you get a high performance EV) but I will miss the low rumble and feel of those big old V8's.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's just a shame somebody can't invent a V8 battery to replicate the sensory experience.

Then you want the BMW i8.

Three cylinders plus a motor. The stereo makes the appropriate brum brum noises for you.

• RMweb Gold

My neighbor's Nissan Leaf has been recovered so many times from his house it's become a running joke. It's simply "bricks" and refuses

to move at the drop of a hat. He also says it struggles to complete his 40 mile daily commute on a charge! 250 mile range? yeah right!

Most Leaf weird not starting problems can be fixed by replacing the 12v battery.

No idea why it would struggle with 40 miles. Has he left the hand brake on?

• RMweb Premium

Then you want the BMW i8.

Three cylinders plus a motor. The stereo makes the appropriate brum brum noises for you.

Not the same is it, synthesised imitation. When I listen to cars like the Mustang down the street, or the Aston Martin Vantage that drove past as I walked down Gower Street this morning there is something marvellous in the engine note.

That said I'd agree that the BMW i8 is a terrific car.

...The stereo makes the appropriate brum brum noises for you.

Go for a serious hi-fi install and you can have all the V8ness, (V12, V16, W24,-ness etc.) you desire, with which to 'delight' your neighbours. I expect there will be a market for 'real car sound' when quiet electric drive is the norm, and all our DCC sound types will upscale their expertise and leap onto this far more profitable bandwagon...

• RMweb Premium

New Mustangs have the engine noise in the stearo too!

Its not the stereo noise that I find impressive, it is the induction and exhaust note and the presence of the V8.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I expect there will be a market for 'real car sound' when quiet electric drive is the norm, and all our DCC sound types will upscale their expertise and leap onto this far more profitable bandwagon...

Noise makers will be mandatory from IIRC 2020 and will have to be retrofitted.

Unless some intergalactic space Gypsies, run off with the moon one night.

Already been done, watch Despicable Me.

And for a view of what will happen when Amazon takes control of world wide retailing, watch Wall-e.

The proposed 45 charging point locations seem to indicate that Wales and Lincolnshire/Notts/S Yorks area is already well covered or the residents have done something to upset the company's management.