Class 59 from Revolution Trains

Revolution Ben

25 minutes ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Because there is big group of folk who for them its the wrong scale...... were waiting for the OO gauge version to be announced. 😉

The gents at Revolution have got to cave in and agree to do it soon surely.... we need a Revolution OO gauge 59 to stick on the front of their OO gauge JNA wagons.

What is so wrong with the Daol 59?

I know it needs a few details corrected, but what else?

My 005 arrived yesterday and is absolutely fantastic, a great runner straight out of the box and getting even better with running. The new packaging design is a big improvement, and the one piece I was initially skeptical about was the removable body section, but even after having it on and off a couple times it fits just as well as it did out the box.

It's a real credit to the team and I'm now even more excited for my other two and the 66s that will follow.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Finally got mine on the test track. Bit of a lighting issue but a quick email, decoder reset (why didn't I think of that myself) and we were off. Only thing were the instructions say F3 switches the rear lights off but it actually switches them on (which is fine, because you can have a trailing engine without the headlights on). And Mine has the wrong nameplates in the bag, but that will be sorted in time. I'm very happy.

Edited by Luke Piewalker
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not had chance to test yet but looks and details stunning.  Amazing value (especially at the early bird price).  Also had incorrect etched plated in the detailing pack but Simon sorting correct ones.

Better get cracking on a working layout for it to run on.

PXL_20240314_102822905.jpg

PXL_20240314_103424623.jpg

PXL_20240314_103613652.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Kaput said:

Don't suppose you fine Revolution gents will have any of the Lokpilots available from your stand at Ally Pally?

Yes - we will take a small number.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3

I can’t compete with the quality of Stuart A’s photos above but here are a few photos of my 59002 - an absolutely superb model and a beautiful runner.IMG_6575.jpeg.ea0ad2a862f986f1d8f2e44681ac3234.jpegIMG_6577.jpeg.777193ae10e1f232d2df94a64febda03.jpegIMG_6580.jpeg.7851688526c577775a84f9551feb1fbc.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've been in two minds about getting one of these as I'm not convinced about the lift off body section.  I have the Dapol 59 001 which I'm pleased with, but thought I'd take the plunge and purchase 59101 – Heidelberg Materials.  Will be interesting to compare.

15 minutes ago, robf said:

I've been in two minds about getting one of these as I'm not convinced about the lift off body section.  I have the Dapol 59 001 which I'm pleased with, but thought I'd take the plunge and purchase 59101 – Heidelberg Materials.  Will be interesting to compare.

I know what you mean robf... have to admit it concerned me a little at first.

However, it is a very good runner and the sound is superb if you have the DCC version.  A lot of thought has gone into the design, including the myriad of lighting settings.  Well worth the money in my view.  With that in mind the lift off lid doesn't tend to bother me so much now.

Like you, I've opted for a Heidelberg Materials one too, so looking forward to that one!

From a humble original class of just 4 silver Foster Yeoman locos, to now 15 across several owners/operators, a great choice for Revolution and one that fills a missing gap in my view.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Hi all,

There've been some questions here and elsewhere about the detail combinations on the various Class 59s.  We've previously illustrated these on our website but I thought it helpful to repost to save everyone trawling back through websites and threads.

The Revolution model of 59001 represents the locos as delivered.  At this time they had no radio roof pods and the bogies had single vertical dampers on each outer axle.  The exhaust port was on the left side.  The blue colour was the original lighter shade, and front and side handrails were silver.

KernowRT-N59-FY-001DC.jpg.57038b50e80db83674b7cf05fb26266c.jpg

This shows 59001 in its original form - note the darker blue on the PGA wagons.

1987-09-14 - Yeoman 59001 "Yeoman Endeavour" heads east through Westbury on a rake of aggregate hoppers

Later, radio roof pods were added at both ends on fabricated base plinths, the axle dampers were both moved in to the centre, horizontal yaw dampers were added and to prevent exhaust fumes and particles getting drawn into the clean air compartment grill that is directly below the exit when on the driver's side (this information from Steadfast) the exhaust port was moved to the right side.  When repaints came due the blue was harmonised to the darker shade and handrails were painted white.  In 1998 a revised version of the Foster Yeoman livery was introduced.

KernowRT-N59-FR-004DC.jpg.60b78d302ff245fe2b9b9624e2662d29.jpg

The original Foster Yeoman order was for four locomotives.   When they decided to add a fifth it was built alongside the four then being constructed for ARC Southern, that would become the Class 59/1.  Although 59005 retained the original end light patterns, the bodyshell had now been designed with recesses for the roof pods and these were incorporated, so 59005 has a unique combination of 59/0 style lights and 59/1 style roof.  For some reason, the roof pods on CLass 59/1 locos are at the outer ends of the recesses, whereas on 59/2 locos they are in the centre.  59005 also has the revised design of catches for the pyramidal roof access panels.  These differed again on the Class 59/2s!

KernowRT-N59-AI-005DC.jpg.7b959b8c393976b1abc77d379ec812c3.jpg

There are other idiosyncrasies within the class, but these are the main ones we have focused on.  With thanks to Kernow Model Rail Centre for use of these images. KMRC also has stocks of 59002 in attractive Mendip Rail green/orange livery.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1

53 minutes ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi all,

There've been some questions here and elsewhere about the detail combinations on the various Class 59s.  We've previously illustrated these on our website but I thought it helpful to repost to save everyone trawling back through websites and threads.

Hi Ben & Revolution,

These models are a real testament to the depths of research your team clearly goes to, to get things right.  In your description above, I've already learnt more about these locos.  I recall early days, seeing them on the Berks and Hants and always thought the blue was quite different and certainly that photo at Westbury shows it well against the wagons behind.  I also recall seeing one at Swindon with no nameplate, in the days before they were named, though not sure if the number was a plate, transfer or painted on.  Seeing the lineup of all 5 original livery ones at Westbury was also a special day in my memories.

I'm not going to bash Dapol as I haven't seen one up close but am left wondering whether to purchase 59005 to broaden my fleet in what is my favorite colour scheme (original Foster Yeoman).  Photos of the Dapol model suggest their blue is darker - did this 59 actually have a darker shade of blue while still in the original Yeoman colours?  It may just be the photography of the model, so as I say, not going to criticise Dapol as their model does look good to me too and I would happily fill gaps with it.

So, I guess I can only ask if Revolution are going to do 59005 in a future run, given the various subtle differences, which I was completely oblivious to?  (Would happily request 59003 and 59004 too in original livery but don't want to be greedy!)

Aside, I spent an hour or two running two of my Revolution Trains sound fitted 59s last night... they are a delight to hear and the lighting features are really well thought out.  Running qualities are also exceptional in my view.

Great stuff!

Ixion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ixion,

I am sure we will produce more 59s in the future but I doubt it would be for at least a couple of years, and certainly not while our retailers still have stocks.

I agree that it is quite possible that 59005 was delivered in the darker blue - certainly images of it from the 1989 Merehead open day suggest this - but without further research I wouldn't be able to say for certain.

cheers

Ben A.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, 97403_Ixion said:

Hi Ben & Revolution,

These models are a real testament to the depths of research your team clearly goes to, to get things right.  In your description above, I've already learnt more about these locos.  I recall early days, seeing them on the Berks and Hants and always thought the blue was quite different and certainly that photo at Westbury shows it well against the wagons behind.  I also recall seeing one at Swindon with no nameplate, in the days before they were named, though not sure if the number was a plate, transfer or painted on.  Seeing the lineup of all 5 original livery ones at Westbury was also a special day in my memories.

I'm not going to bash Dapol as I haven't seen one up close but am left wondering whether to purchase 59005 to broaden my fleet in what is my favorite colour scheme (original Foster Yeoman).  Photos of the Dapol model suggest their blue is darker - did this 59 actually have a darker shade of blue while still in the original Yeoman colours?  It may just be the photography of the model, so as I say, not going to criticise Dapol as their model does look good to me too and I would happily fill gaps with it.

So, I guess I can only ask if Revolution are going to do 59005 in a future run, given the various subtle differences, which I was completely oblivious to?  (Would happily request 59003 and 59004 too in original livery but don't want to be greedy!)

Aside, I spent an hour or two running two of my Revolution Trains sound fitted 59s last night... they are a delight to hear and the lighting features are really well thought out.  Running qualities are also exceptional in my view.

Great stuff!

Ixion.

The numbers and data panels were on cast plates from the factory, originally left unpainted.

59003, Merehead

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi Ixion,

I am sure we will produce more 59s in the future but I doubt it would be for at least a couple of years, and certainly not while our retailers still have stocks.

I agree that it is quite possible that 59005 was delivered in the darker blue - certainly images of it from the 1989 Merehead open day suggest this - but without further research I wouldn't be able to say for certain.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

That would be superb - will be watching for news in the future.

Quite right also to ensure the retailers sell their stocks and that us enthusiastic buyers help them do that too!

I'll have to see if I can find my photos of the Merehead Open Day when all 5 were lined up outside the main shed and take a look at the blue.  I may even buy the Dapol one anyway... I have been known to buy the same model twice, though usually by mistake!  What really surprised me with your (Revolution's) model is just how good the sound reproduction is, despite the small size, along with the lighting functions.

Thanks for your reply,

Ixion.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RobSkipworth said:

The numbers and data panels were on cast plates from the factory, originally left unpainted.

Thanks for posting the photo, RobSkipworth.

I don't think I've seen (or remember if not...) a photo of the number panel unpainted as in your photo.

I took one photo across a car park in Swindon once, when a Foster Yeoman 59 drifted along past, so will have to see if I can tell if it's painted or not.  The photo is quite grainy and the shot is quite distant if I recall, but I believe it's the only photo I have of one before naming.  I don't think I ever knew exactly which loco it was though and not possible to tell from the photo, if my memory serves me well.  Will try to hunt it down.

Thanks,

Ixion.

Newvaddon Parkway is having one of these beauties in Aggregates Industries livery.  We plan for it to haul 15 Dapol JHAs up and down the bank on the branch line.  Dapol and Farish 66s can’t handle them!

IMG_0221.jpeg

IMG_0218.jpeg

• Like 5

The Dapol JHAs are heavy wagons which I found to have significant rolling resistance's because the wheels rub against the underside of the wagons chassis. I think many 

n-gauge locomotives would struggle to move any largish rake and my Revolution 59 struggled with more than 6!  But all is not lost - by adding very thin home made plastic card washers between each bogie and the bolsters (I.e. the pivot on the chassis to which the bogie attaches) I was able to get my JHAs to run very freely and silently. Despite the weight of these wagons, my Revolution 59 effortlessly handles a rake of 10 including around my layout including hauling them up a 1 in 40 gradient. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Marke said:

The Dapol JHAs are heavy wagons which I found to have significant rolling resistance's because the wheels rub against the underside of the wagons chassis. I think many 

n-gauge locomotives would struggle to move any largish rake and my Revolution 59 struggled with more than 6!  But all is not lost - by adding very thin home made plastic card washers between each bogie and the bolsters (I.e. the pivot on the chassis to which the bogie attaches) I was able to get my JHAs to run very freely and silently. Despite the weight of these wagons, my Revolution 59 effortlessly handles a rake of 10 including around my layout including hauling them up a 1 in 40 gradient. 

Thanks Marke.  Our JHAs have also been modified with washers to stop the rubbing.  They are heavy wagons and will provide a good test for the 59.

14 hours ago, Marke said:

There is another risk related to the Dapol JHAs. If they are run without a spacing washer eventually the paint will wear off the underside of the metal chassis. The wheels can then create a short circuit through the chassis.

Edited by Mike Harvey
added qualifier
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've now fitted my 59 with the esu decoder,  the lifting off body section was no problem fitting back on and it fits seamlessly. Having it running pulling a rake of Dapol JHA's up a helix with no slippage at all (unlike the majority of my 66's), I've now also been tempted for 59 101 in the attractive new livery. 

• Like 2

Hi All,

I would also like to congratulate Revolution for the research and design they have done for the Class 59. (And even more for the upcoming Class 66). The work has resulted in an absolutely stunning model. I have several CJM 59s that have served me well over the years but the Revolution models are so much better. The detail and overall execution of the model is superb. The 2 that I collected at Glasgow are beautiful runners, very quiet and smooth. I am really delighted with them and can’t wait for the 59/1s to arrive.

Once again, Thank you Revolution for producing these excellent models

cheers,

Ged.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Hello all,

We are thrilled our 59/0s are feeling the love - the delayed 59/1s and 59/2s are coming soon but we won't be sending any out until after Easter.   As ever fully paid-up pre-order customers will receive their models first.

HN-101.jpeg.9a9e25f827b9e0b56be7abb78295034e.jpeg

For a full update see here:

https://revolutiontrains.com/news/

cheers

Ben

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 24/03/2024 at 18:43, 97403_Ixion said:

I'll have to see if I can find my photos of the Merehead Open Day when all 5 were lined up outside the main shed...

DSC01282.JPG.699635c674b0127a3833841888a96e20.JPG

DSC01280.JPG.9e047a6bce78504bf52601d39a97b2ac.JPG

• Like 7

5 hours ago, MPR said:

Thanks MPR - That'll be the day, indeed!  Great memories and a really good, sunny day to get good photos.  They even built a temporary platform, presumably using rocks from the quarry, to receive the visiting passenger shuttle trains from Westbury that I had to use to get there!

I still can't easily tell from any photos whether 59005's blue lining was any different to the others... angles and lighting can be so deceptive at times in photos but it would appear to be only slightly if at all different.

Despite any detail differences and/or colour shades, I hate to say it but I may take the plunge and go for the other supplier's currently available 59005 to increase my fleet to 3 original FY silver/blue ones.

I am really happy with my Revolution ones, so not knocking them at all but at least I can then judge for myself and maybe even weather it for that 'used' look, later on when I buy Revolution's one as well!!!

On 27/03/2024 at 16:35, MPR said:

DSC01282.JPG.699635c674b0127a3833841888a96e20.JPG

DSC01280.JPG.9e047a6bce78504bf52601d39a97b2ac.JPG

To my untrained eye the three closest to the camera.... which i believe are 59001, 59002 and 59005 (005 being in the middle as it was then brand new i think) seem to have a darker blue band than 59003 & 004 behind.

Im wondering if 005 got the darker blue as built and at the time of the open day day 001 & 002 had received the darker blue band but 003 & 004 had yet to have the same treatment????