RMweb

Ingleford Wharf: 1870s canalside inglenook on the "M&WJR" in 00, and Victoria Quay: a 1900s WIP in 0

Schooner

2 minutes ago, drduncan said:

Earth mix tip?

On 24/03/2023 at 21:38, Schooner said:

Made a cocktail

197024932_Igotajarofdirt.jpg.2d6e22efa801dc2bc24fdad114d04111.jpg

(Treemendus Earth Powder, wood ash, chinchilla dust. Yum yum)

Ratios vary depending, but that's about equal parts of each. I think. Probably.

7 minutes ago, drduncan said:

...at the back of the glass...

Be careful Duncan, all manner of weird carry-on there...

John-Tenniel-Illustration-Red-Queen-Alic

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

16 hours ago, Schooner said:

Might need it...

...yup!

As feared last night the last batch of glue as not sunk in, dried white and and left an impenetrable shiny layer over everything it was used on...which is, y'know, not ideal. Oh well, round again...

Trains delayed due to sanding, hoovering and swearing on the line.

On 24/03/2023 at 07:55, Compound2632 said:

Small engine policy my foot!

879142958_TheMidlandCometh.jpg.640ae94d3f025086f61ac0b64df0f693.jpg

There has been other progress today though. This was ordered from D J Parkins shortly before 09.00 yesterday (Saturday, for those of you in the future), arriving here at midday today (good luck, you can do it!), for a price and postage cost I would consider competitive for a 4mm plastic kit. Colour me impressed.

a) Of course I'll need D.299s coming out the yingyang, but mostly it seems like a suitable and accessible introduction to 7mm and starts giving me some dimensions to work with to finalise the layout plan.

b) Self-supporting 3' cassettes may be over ambitious - I'll weigh the wagon when it's done, but 5 of these and >1kg of loco isn't a trifling load to put on something

c) I should probably get some track before too long, but holding off for now because reasons.

b) I swear last time I checked it was meant to be green locos pulling red wagons...*

*with credit to @drduncan of this parish, all royalties to him.

Opinions

Updates on the new layout here, or in a new thread? Should that thread be in the Layouts section or the 7mm section? Indifference to be clearly stated, please.

Cheers and gone!

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Very much looking forward to seeing the 7mm stuff progressing! Re where to locate said 7mm updates, my vote would be to either carry on in this thread, or post a new one in the 7mm scale section. 

You may find it easier in 7mm scale to have separate loco and wagon cassettes due to the length of trains you want to run, as this will help to avoid any unnecessary disasters should the unimaginable happen. The cassettes I use for Elsbridge are only 550mm between gates (loco and 3 wagons), and I still managed to drop a full one of them on the floor 😭

With the ABS wagon kit I’d suggest replacing the buffers supplied in the kit with those from either Slaters or Haywood, others may be able to get those supplied in the kit to work satisfactorily, but I find them a very odd and cumbersome design.  

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Schooner said:

Cracking! Not heard that in ages. Although someone else here also heard it and decided to dig out her clarinet.

I think that we are switching from rock n roll to jazz over breakfast for a while....

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Cracking! Not heard that in ages. Although someone else here also heard it and decided to dig out her clarinet.

I think that we are switching from rock n roll to jazz over breakfast for a while....

Jamie Cullum jazz show is always an interesting listen. 9pm Tuesday radio 2.

Fats Waller, not easy to play as he had a large hand span.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, mullie said:

Jamie Cullum jazz show is always an interesting listen. 9pm Tuesday radio 2.

Fats Waller, not easy to play as he had a large hand span.

+1 for Jamie Cullum. I pop him on if I'm in the garage tinkering with the bike. Jazz is not my thing but as you say, his show is an interesting listen. 

Listening to that great track has put me in mind of The Blues Band and I'm off for a listen.....

Rob. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Keep all as much as possible on one thread. I regret starting a second thread for my micro layout and it just disappears into the ether now. Personally I’m more interested in understanding an individual modellers perspective and technique even if that is spread over a number of projects on a single

thread. 

Jay

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

A number of us do have threads that feature multiple layouts, it can be good to see the progression from one layout to the next, I know my modelling has evolved over the time I have been on here. I would keep it in one place.

Martyn

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I'm at least as guilty as anyone for having lots going on within my thread, that rabbit hole west of Craven Arms, but it is how many of us have to or choose to work. If you've only got fifteen minutes today, there's no point starting a baseboard or a loco chassis, but you can fit a pair of couplings or put some details in a garden.

If you've only got a few quid spare, re-wheeling a loco might have to wait til the end of the month, so let's have a look at what we can put together, today.

Then of course there's motivation in general or inspiration from another person's thread.

I vote keep it together, you're not writing a report for work, rather sharing who we are and what we do.

Conversely, where it's something very specific that grows out of a few comments, such as the Small Metro Build thread or the New RTR Pannier thread, then yes, put it in the right forum category and have it open to everyone and kept as a future reference source.

Edited by MrWolf
General illiteracy
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

Afternoon m'learned friends, would someone mind checking this for brain-fart:

20230327_174957.jpg.34843e49a59e8fc1c695a75d124ce055.jpg

Is that set up correctly?

I thought it was the same as others I've done, but it's not quite and brain's not playing the problem-solving game.

First right response gets 5 points! Sooner I get this on the sooner the next update...

Edited by Schooner
I like Learner Friends too, but typo fixed

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, drduncan said:

No, the long folds usually go the same way as the w irons are folded.

All brands do that and it's really annoying since the folded section fouls the space needed for the sprung tail of the drawhook (for those using three-links).

• Agree 3

12 minutes ago, drduncan said:

your ride height is too high

Can confirm

Lowrider.jpg.8b3db78b5598e8c8a302d494f461bdd2.jpg

Hilarious* that a song so full of moral ambiguity feels the need to release a 'kid friendly' official version with the cusswords removed. 'Cos yeah, now it's just fine! 🤣

Back on track, thanks @drduncan that's what I thought...but then the rocker-plate (the lozenge shape) sits flush on top the axleguard, preventing the unit from rocking. Does it hang underneath the axleguard etch? Held off the underside of the wagon floor with some kind of pedestal...?

Braaaaiiiiiiin!

Edited by Schooner
*Your humour may vary
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

the folded section fouls the space needed for the sprung tail of the drawhook

This! I felt comfy to cut a section out of the fixed unit to clear the shank/spring, but that's not an option on the rocking unit!

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Schooner said:

This! I felt comfy to cut a section out of the fixed unit to clear the shank/spring, but that's not an option on the rocking unit!

If the wagon has been built square, there should be no need for compensation anyway, at least not on a 9 ft or 10 ft wheelbase vehicle, definitely in 00, usually in EM, and probably in P4, unless the track is really bad.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Wait...it's possible to need compensation? I thought it was just for bragging rights?!

Half-joking - I'm trying go for it because it's the way the wagon was designed, and although my track is mostly alright (apart from one issue compensation won't help much) there's a spot or two where it smooths the motion out, which is nice for when operation is slow and repetitive shuffles to and fro; none of the fixed wagons have any issues at all. The horsebox, which is by far my freest-running kit, has one rocking axle and I think it does help some. Same system as I thought this one was...!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Wait...it's possible to need compensation? I thought it was just for bragging rights?!

Amongst those who take these things seriously, there is an objection to compensation that, being based on the principle of the three-legged stool, it does not take into account the kinematic nature of the problem, and hence springing systems have come to be preferred. To my mind the best argument for those is that they replicate the way the real thing works but the best argument against is that they are fiddly. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I like to call this one The Ascent to Van

1816411444_Looktothefutureitsonlyjustbeguuuuuuuun.jpg.50128c00e62e7bbac983a30f8f533b2d.jpg

or The Shape of Things to Come.

Thanks for the helping hand chaps, the wagon's done and running sweetly. No full update for lack of time (thanks rocker...) but shall just say that whilst the layout is having a day off to think about its behaviour recently, things have been ticking along elsewhere very nicely. I think most of you probably know what's up, but still I'll drag it out a bit :)

A proper gear change on the 7mm front too. All three major elements progressed today, if not got totally sorted. Looking forward to sharing that ASAP.

don't like Mondays

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 10