Ingleford Wharf: 1870s canalside inglenook on the "M&WJR" in 00, and Victoria Quay: a 1900s WIP in 0

Schooner

On 08/11/2022 at 10:58, Mikkel said:

I came across this, it is H0 and I think in the US, but at least shows that it can be 3D printed: 

https://www.rail-scale-models.com/3D-Printed-Cupola-Roof-Vent-~-HO-Scale

Maybe someone closer to these shores could be coaxed into doing them?

There are also the ones on the old Hornby goods shed, but even if you find some cheap secondhand kits you'd need several and the shape is not quite what you are after.

Send me a sketch and rough dimensions and I’ll have a go.

Duncan

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

These photos show how spacious you have made it - the effect is delightful, especially as it is uncommon on layouts, when we are so often trying to cram in all the various features we want.

Nick.

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Cheers Nick, and agreers, but it's easy to look spacious when there's a bare siding in >4' sq. of board! The magicians are those who can conjure an airy feeling in a tight space, an enviable skill.

The secret, if any, lies in the stock I think. If you'll forgive the re-post, this demonstrates fairly well:

1482288520_Lillnlarge.jpg.ddd84a88bf1aaf

The 7-plank PO wagons - themselves smaller than what many modellers would consider 'normal' - dwarf not just the opens (3-plank shewn*, 1- 2- and 4- options in the pipeline) but also the covered vehicles.

It's not just wagon-vs-wagon, either. It's also impression made by a rake - however short - when those wagons are a near-uniform block vs. when each is a different height, profile and variations in framing mix up the relief; and in the lighter running and braking gear of earlier stock. 

It's possible to get so much more out of a given space with pre-Grouping stock than with later traffic, it's a real pity that it's still seen as niche and that the barriers to entry are perceived to be higher (although this is changing, well done Hattons, well done Rapido likewise). 

*I quite agree @Harlequin

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Schooner said:

it's easy to look spacious when there's a bare siding in >4' sq. of board! The magicians are those who can conjure an airy feeling in a tight space, an enviable skill.

Perhaps, but you have been bold enough, and clear enough in your intent, not to fill that 4 square feet with track, so well done for that.

4 hours ago, Schooner said:

It's possible to get so much more out of a given space with pre-Grouping stock than with later traffic, it's a real pity that it's still seen as niche and that the barriers to entry are perceived to be higher

Yes, indeed! even in O gauge...

Nick.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, magmouse said:

Perhaps, but you have been bold enough, and clear enough in your intent, not to fill that 4 square feet with track, so well done for that.

I'll second that. It can be tempting to crowbar in a little more "operating potential" and before you know it, you're surrounded by one of those train set track plans which are just too 'busy' .

1 hour ago, magmouse said:

Yes, indeed! even in O gauge...

Nick.

I suspect that is why branch lines are so popular in 4mm and 7mm, it always means smaller and often antiquated stock.

Rob Wolf 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

This layout just gets better. 

Splendid stuff and one which continues to inspire this 'ere sheep. 

Rob. 

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Light earth and limited track = sense of space.

I agree with everyone, it's excellent.

On 09/01/2023 at 00:11, Schooner said:

1.jpg.ee9423c8444920fa512decef22eae2ef.jpg

I like how the structures are different but have the same overall tones. Blends them together nicely.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Cheers Steve (?), much appreciated especially having just spent an hour swearing at a set of MJT etched screw-link couplings with nothing to show for it.

The upside of that is that it's the final job. All transfers are on*, the cattle wagon has doors shut and locked:

IMG_1855.jpeg.c5d6c9df6c650e5ffb800714e6

Doorlock.jpg.1a919fcb727ee1834f03c6e7966c0854.jpg

(Rough and ready, but even so if the ring is fully over the doorframe it's too hard to see. By having it overlap the edge it's visible and so the effort is worth it!).

So, advice on MJT screw links please. The ones from Wizard (for the horsebox) were tricky but doable, and I was expecting these to be similar. However, clearances are too tight, and I couldn't get any component to fit; nor can I open the holes (in the hook or the links) much more without turning them into troughs....what's the go?

*Remaining patience hinted at by the last 3-plank being numbered not 36XXX-51XXX, but rather 7**. 

**Lot 329, April 1885. So there!

EDIT: In case it's of use, the chain to hand, as it were:

Chain.jpg.911a37aa0038a1ced6976360af91ca19.jpg

Top - as supplied with the Langley jib crane, and as used as the locking ring on the cattle wagon (I tried smaller, but again it wasn't really visible once painted)

Middle - 24 links/" for wagon safety chains

Bottom - 34 links/" as used on the crane, and to be used for capstan shunting

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Have only now happened on this thread and am hooked. There is some delightfully understated modelling here. It's wonderful stuff.

Is there any chance you can repost the track plan lost by the "great outtage"?

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Ta @Footy, kind of you to say so.

I also lost the plan in a hard-drive failure, so the below isn't quite right, but hopefully is enough to get your bearings:

Ingleford.jpg.d89e936cebc2709da7613f06b8166d00.jpg

On the To Do list is re-drawing the plan to match the layout as built! When that happens I'll be sure to update here and stick it in the opening post too.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

CW.jpg.5ebb7fe839372dc4e1ef43c16fac2e13.jpg

Livery check on the completed GWR covered-wagon roster. Thoughts? I don't really think thay grey came in with the RH small G.W.R. ...but I don't think it jars, and it certainly helps keep things varied. The idea is that there will only be a couple of these on the layout at a time, to the ten or so opens.

Little motivation recently, so neither layout progress nor train-playing for a few weeks, but still nice to pop the stock on and give it all a fresh coat of looking on.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Livery check on the completed GWR covered-wagon roster.

This is a great demonstration - as has been discussed here before, I think - of the benefits of the late 19th and early 20th century periods. Lots of livery variations, and everything is nicely (and usefully) compact. You want a milk van - sure, a 4-wheel Siphon is just a bit longer than a standard open. A horse box? Ditto. Are vans boring? No, not when they come in outside frame and iron varieties as well as vanilla.

Like you, I subscribe to the 'red until 25" lettering' theory of GWR wagon liveries, but the grey iron mink with RH small G.W.R is a nice model, and isn't necessarily wrong, so go with it. At some point, add a red one with small lettering, and see who spots the contradiction!

And don't worry about your absent mojo - it will be back when it is good and ready. You just need to be prepared for it when it comes.

Nick.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Livery check on the completed GWR covered-wagon roster. Thoughts? I don't really think that grey came in with the RH small G.W.R. ..

Small right hand lettering or not can be just as controversial as whether or not wagons were still red after 1904.  There's some evidence to suggest that small right hand GWR letters were to be found on grey Iron Minks and I've certainly got some like that on my pre-WW1 era layouts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

6 hours ago, Schooner said:

CW.jpg.5ebb7fe839372dc4e1ef43c16fac2e13.jpg

Livery check on the completed GWR covered-wagon roster. Thoughts? I don't really think thay grey came in with the RH small G.W.R. ...but I don't think it jars, and it certainly helps keep things varied. The idea is that there will only be a couple of these on the layout at a time, to the ten or so opens.

Little motivation recently, so neither layout progress nor train-playing for a few weeks, but still nice to pop the stock on and give it all a fresh coat of looking on.

Wonderful. Ingleford is 1900, I think? I can picture Churchward wincing as he walks past that lot, hurrying back to his locos 🙂

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1