Time for Hornby to move on from NEM652 8-pin?

E100

Apart from fitting fitting 21MTC or PluX as standard (Next!8 for the smaller models), it would be a big improvement if more emphasis and effort was put into designing models with easy access for decoder fitting, such as underneath in fuel tanks, below discretely designed removable roof panels, or other similar "solutions".

Bachmann have already done this on a couple of models, but it's far from a concerted effort to apply this approach more widely.

Are you listening Mr K ?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 12/01/2022 at 08:23, RAF96 said:

I have suggested external plug in decoders many times before. Always falls on deaf ears.

There are some on here that claim they have a "hotline" to SK (not me) and that some of their suggestions have been adopted by Hornby

Hopefully they'll read this and pass it on.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
On 14/11/2021 at 12:43, Roy Langridge said:

Whilst electric car batteries seem to be quoted for a life of 8-10 years, look carefully at how that is described. It is most often until it will hold no charge, meaning its capacity could be severely degraded in the latter years of that time. 

We only have to look at mobile phones to see battery life does degrade, and there are almost all Lithium-ion. 

Roy

A common misconception between phone batteries and car (EV) batteries again.

The battery management systems of EVs are quantum leaps ahead of lower tech using batteries.

Every warranty on EV battery life I know of is usually 8 years and down to 70% charge, not “until it will hold no charge” after that the EV battery will be replaced under warranty (and the old battery used in home storage usage for many more years rather than scrapped), so far there have been very, very few replacements required due to degradation.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 13/01/2022 at 19:54, newbryford said:

There are some on here that claim they have a "hotline" to SK (not me) and that some of their suggestions have been adopted by Hornby

Hopefully they'll read this and pass it on.

First rule of trying to get something accepted by ‘the suits’ is to make them think it is their bright idea.