New Bachmann 04 to DJH Q6/7?

Toftwood

Looking at the mock ups of the new Bachman Robinson 04, would the chassis, minus the front pony truck fit under a DJH Q6/7 kit?? I ask as the wheelbase seems about right (unscientific I know) and it has similar Cylinder arrangement.

Obviously there would have to be a bit of modification, but is the wheelbase near enough the same??

Thanks

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the mock ups of the new Bachman Robinson 04, would the chassis, minus the front pony truck fit under a DJH Q6/7 kit?? I ask as the wheelbase seems about right (unscientific I know) and it has similar Cylinder arrangement.

Obviously there would have to be a bit of modification, but is the wheelbase near enough the same??

Thanks

Pete

Pete, if you have the DJH Q7 then (sadly) it is not really an accurate machine; lovely castings etc but dimensions are quite wrong in places. I really think it would be a waste of what looks like a great chassis from Bachmann to hack it up for the Q7 (sorry!).

If you are thinking of a Q6 (which DJH do not do) then Dave Alexander's model is probably your best bet and just go with his chassis or a Peter Stranger scale chassis if you fancy a really nice challenge (compensated in an easy way).

If this is irrelevant to you, no matter. If it helps....OK.

Sincerely, PR36E GC

There was me, completely agog, Bachmann introducing a new chassis for the 04?

Aha, not the diesel shunter.

Phew!

I am still trying to shoehorn a sound chip into mine. A new chassis would be a help!!

Well they are doing a new cl03 diesel shunter and the tooling for their original one became the cl04 model so you probably can get a new chassis in a year or so..

There was me, completely agog, Bachmann introducing a new chassis for the 04?

Aha, not the diesel shunter.

Phew!

I am still trying to shoehorn a sound chip into mine. A new chassis would be a help!!

David,

Is the 03 chassis by High level kits not of any use ?.

Regards

Ian

Thanks guys,

Maybe if we press hard enough, we could get Bachman or Hornby to add a Q6/7 to their production list? The Q's were just as widley used and long lasting as the O4's (O1/2's as well)

We need more heavy freight loco's in ready to run

O4, 5'8.5"+5'5.5"+5'11" ; Q6, 5'7"+5'7"+6': overall coupled wheelbase an inch longer on the Q6, relationship of front coupled wheel to rear face of cylinder is near identical, connecting rod drives on the right axle too. Near enough for me to use, rather than build a chassis if a Q6 was on my 'to do' list.

Whether it will fit easily under a whitemetal body is a whole other question. Wall thickness of the casting and whether Bachmann's designer has made use of the belpaire firebox to accomodate the motor width will have a bearing on that, not that these things are insuperable obstacles.

More freight locos, heavy, medium and light, oh yes. Must buy the ones that get made to encourage production of more is my modus operandi.

Thanks guys,

Maybe if we press hard enough, we could get Bachman or Hornby to add a Q6/7 to their production list? The Q's were just as widley used and long lasting as the O4's (O1/2's as well)

We need more heavy freight loco's in ready to run

The Q6 was wide spread but a Q7 RTR? Can't see it happening as they weren't a large class and, oddly for NER engines, were quite ungainly too!

If you want a Q6 in 00, then you can't beat the Dave Alexander model -

DSCF2599.jpg

That was a teenage effort (around 17 ish) and if I can build it, anyone can. In 00 stick with the kit's rigid frames and it's a relatively unstressful build.

Guest Max Stafford

And there's me just bought a DJH Q7 too... :(

Is it really that bad? :unsure:

Lovely Q6 by the way, James. I was going to order one, but I'd bet money on one from Bachmann in the next two years!

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

And there's me just bought a DJH Q7 too... :(

Is it really that bad? :unsure:

Lovely Q6 by the way, James. I was going to order one, but I'd bet money on one from Bachmann in the next two years!

Dave.

Don't get too dispirited.If someone offered me one for nout I'd not say no! :lol: The DJH item looks more or less like a Q7 BUT if you are fussy (in the nicest possible way/or model in P4 and require total accuracy) it's not the right length! I'm sure some folks will have kit bashed it to make it more to scale?

Sincerely PR 36E GC

• RMweb Premium

The person to ask is Arthur K of this very group. Checkout his Q5, J73 and others. I am sure he will make a Q6 kit if enough people ask.rolleyes.gif

Regards

Ian

Q7? I think you meant, as Dave Alexander's Q6 is the business.

Sincerely, PR 36E GC ?

Pete, if you have the DJH Q7 then (sadly) it is not really an accurate machine; lovely castings etc but dimensions are quite wrong in places. Sincerely, PR36E GC

Hi Mallard60022, can you say where the dimensions are a long way out? I am currently building the DJH kit and when sitting the boiler and running plate on the Isinglass drawing the Boiler looks virtually OK but the running plate appears to be 1mm over length. I can live with that.

Thanks.

The person to ask is Arthur K of this very group. Checkout his Q5, J73 and others. I am sure he will make a Q6 kit if enough people ask.rolleyes.gif

Regards

Ian

Dave Bradwell's Q6 is a few (possibly a very few) months away, not a few years. He's just waiting to finally sort out some of the castings (which are done by third parties). I for one will definitely be having one, and I suspect it will jump to the top of the engine build list!smile.gif

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mallard60022, can you say where the dimensions are a long way out? I am currently building the DJH kit and when sitting the boiler and running plate on the Isinglass drawing the Boiler looks virtually OK but the running plate appears to be 1mm over length. I can live with that.

Thanks.

Honestly ...... no I can't :wub:and if the Isinglass drawing is being used then I most certainly bow to that drawing's accuracy. My comment was made having been discouraged from using the DJH Q7 by fellows in the EM gauge world. 1mm on the running plate - I think only P4 fellows would quibble over that? I withdraw my earlier comments and look forward to seeing your Q7 AND if you think it is the business, maybe I'll invest in one (or wait for Arthur's!!)

Perhaps it was something to do with the wheelbase? I can't really remember. Perhaps someone else on here can clarify and put me right?

Sincerely, P. Edant

Mr H Umblepie,

Correct me if I am wrong please, but if I recall, my own personal experience with Isinglass drawings are of those to `OO` scale, of the locomotive outline with one or two dimensions on there, not a drawing with the heights of say the runningplate from the wheel center, or difference in drop to the front lower runningplate area ?. Depth of valance etc.

If the drawing appears to suggest that the kit is 1mm out, I question just how accurate the Isinglass drawings actually are. Surely, a copy of the GA or actually go and measure the beast as its on public display would be most appropriate. Also the DJH kit being of white metal, we should allow for shrinkage in cooling after being cast. Having looked at the examples shown on their website, well, enough said in my view !.

However, as a previous NELPG volunteer, I did just that. Anyone requiring dimensions for this locomotive, may contact me to see if I can assist.

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Mr H Umblepie,

Correct me if I am wrong please, but if I recall, my own personal experience with Isinglass drawings are of those to `OO` scale, of the locomotive outline with one or two dimensions on there, not a drawing with the heights of say the runningplate from the wheel center, or difference in drop to the front lower runningplate area ?. Depth of valance etc.

If the drawing appears to suggest that the kit is 1mm out, I question just how accurate the Isinglass drawings actually are. Surely, a copy of the GA or actually go and measure the beast as its on public display would be most appropriate. Also the DJH kit being of white metal, we should allow for shrinkage in cooling after being cast. Having looked at the examples shown on their website, well, enough said in my view !.

However, as a previous NELPG volunteer, I did just that. Anyone requiring dimensions for this locomotive, may contact me to see if I can assist.

Regards

Ian

In my experience the Isinglass Drawings are pretty accurate. My major quibble would be that they were drawn in 'OO' scale rather than at a larger scale and scaled down. The drawings are literally covered with dimensions all taken directly from or mearured from the works GA I have both the Isinglass drawing and the works GA and having drawn out the Q7 with a view to producing etches there is little to choose between them but personally I do prefer to work from a GA. Most of the items queried are on the Isinglass drawing for example 9" step between upper and lower footplate levels (4' 3" and 5' 0") and the footplate angles which are quoted as 3"x3" as on many NER locos.

• 1 year later...

There I should think you are on pretty solid ground. I believe the boiler and firebox shell was the standard item used on the 8K/ROD/O4, and (without benefit of drawing, but looking at a side elevation works photo in rather poor reproduction) the cylinder layout and coupled wheelbase very similar if not identical. The cylinders were 3" smaller in diameter on the 0-8-4T, but there were three of course, so you will need to 'quarter' the wheelsets at 120 degrees.

Archived