1938 Tube Stock

Lee-H

On 25/05/2022 at 08:53, 4railsman said:

My memories on the standard stock go right back to when I traveled to my secondary school from Hounslow West to Hounslow East on the Piccadilly Line for about four years in the late 1950's. Those were the times!!

There can't have been all that many people who used just that stretch of the line for their daily journey. Hounslow East often seemed a chilly, windswept station - westbound there wasn't even a shelter, just a ticket collector's hut IIRC (well, as you know, as it used to be near the end of the line, I expect few apart from you actually boarded there going westbound). It's an impressive station now, with many airport staff using it. Living in Heston, I either walked to Hounslow West, or got the 232 bus, or the 110 to Hounslow East, whichever came first (usually the 110...).   

• Like 1

On 25/05/2022 at 14:07, Gwiwer said:

..... Some trailers were converted to run with 1935 and 1938 stock which didn't affect the appearance other than for 70518 and 70545 which were rebuilt to aid loading on the Bakerloo Line to also have end doors (which the rest of the trailers never had).....  

It isn't true that only 70518 and 70545 had single end doors.

Trailers 1338 and 1339 built in 1930 by UCC had single doors at the ends of the cars from new. Furthermore the 1931 batch built by Birmingham RCW and Gloucester RCW included 130 trailers (7060-7189) which had single doors at both ends of the cars ex-works.

Three Standard Stock Trailers of 1927 vintage were converted in 1958 to run with the Flat Fronted 1935 Experimental Stock, 7510/70510, 7511/70511 and 7512/70512 on the eastern end of the Central Line.

Also twelve further Standard Stock Trailers were converted to run with the 1960 Cravens Tube Stock DM cars. The converted Standard Trailers were in turn replaced with '38 Stock Trailers. Of the 12 Standard Trailers, 4 did not have the single end doors from new and 2 were so converted, whilst the other 8 were from the 1931 batch which did have the single doors at the car ends from new.

• Like 2

Radley of course do 4mm standard stock resin kits using Tenshodo motor bogies.  I built some of the original white metal kits that were very heavy.  I built to P4 and swapped out the disk wheels to spoked as per the prototype.  Lowmac wheels are correct for the non-powered and trailer bogies.

The word kits puts some people off but these are pretty simple.  A complete body moulding matched to a complete floor molding with seats!

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Coppercap said:

Living in Heston, I either walked to Hounslow West, or got the 232 bus, or the 110 to Hounslow East, whichever came first (usually the 110...).   

Me too. Always walked to HW when going to school. But I did also use the 232 and 110 double-deck buses on non-school days. Both started/terminated at Hounslow Bus Garage in Kingsley Road which was an old totally enclosed garage, not the one there today! It was at the end of Hounslow High Street, a long fairly straight road with The Bell pub at the other end. 

Those were the days!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 4railsman said:

Me too. Always walked to HW when going to school. But I did also use the 232 and 110 double-deck buses on non-school days. Both started/terminated at Hounslow Bus Garage in Kingsley Road which was an old totally enclosed garage, not the one there today! It was at the end of Hounslow High Street, a long fairly straight road with The Bell pub at the other end. 

Those were the days!

Hounslow is becoming unrecognisable these days, what with the pedestrianisation of the High Street years ago and now the massive new developments on its north side.  

On 31/05/2022 at 22:06, Jeff Smith said:

Radley of course do 4mm standard stock resin kits using Tenshodo motor bogies.  I built some of the original white metal kits that were very heavy.  I built to P4 and swapped out the disk wheels to spoked as per the prototype.  Lowmac wheels are correct for the non-powered and trailer bogies.

The word kits puts some people off but these are pretty simple.  A complete body moulding matched to a complete floor molding with seats!

Where did you buy the wheels from? I am interested in the standard stock but have no idea where to buy the 9mm pinpoint wheels from and Radlett don’t seem to stock them either!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/06/2022 at 10:14, Coppercap said:

Hounslow is becoming unrecognisable these days, what with the pedestrianisation of the High Street

And the relocation of the traffic congestion to Bell Corner which is now an utterly silly piece of road design delaying traffic in all directions.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 31/05/2022 at 23:14, Erixtar1992 said:

If i was to put my money on the next RTR LU stock after the 62 turns up, id say it would be D78 (sadly as id love an A60 ha)

Since the 230/484s have come about its a much more appealing risk to take

I've always been mildly surprised no-one's had a go at the Electric Sleet Loco.  They look to me to be quite easy to sketch up for 3D printing, and if no drawings are available there's one in the LT museum to measure.  Any Underground layout with an overground section can justify one.

• Agree 2

On 03/06/2022 at 17:53, Metr0Land said:

I've always been mildly surprised no-one's had a go at the Electric Sleet Loco.  They look to me to be quite easy to sketch up for 3D printing, and if no drawings are available there's one in the LT museum to measure.  Any Underground layout with an overground section can justify one.

Would be cool but i guess the trouble is its not what people would generally think of with an underground train so it wouldnt have the same RTR appeal as your more ‘normal’ stuff.

gotta get the most out of the tooling investment as poss with variations and other things it could run with.

I just hope the ‘38 helps prove to manufacturers that there is a decent market for it all and more can be justified :-)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Gotta say i love the bus red livery, really pops compared to the standard LT red.

Il just have to get round to fitting lights in this one too now.

in my other i have fully selectable headcode lights and tails, my Underground Sound file has all the lighting built in ready for people to add their own, ive got a how to vid filmed for it, just been waiting on something else first before releasing, so hopefully can help some of you get yours sorted shortly. 

264E9CEA-B847-49F9-B532-4F23729F8DD3.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Slight tangent, but as I see hounslow discussed, if your into London Buses too, Route 81 will be taken over by London Bus Museum on Sunday June 12th running vintage buses on the route predominantly Hounslow to Windsor, includes Heathrow Airport.. intensive service approx every 10 mins..

timetable

https://www.londonbusmuseum.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/Timetable-81-v3.pdf

list of participating buses

https://www.londonbusmuseum.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/81-bus-list-v3.pdf

https://www.londonbusmuseum.com/route-81-running-day/

oh did I sat how much? - Free service, all day.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Slight tangent, but as I see hounslow discussed, if your into London Buses too, Route 81 will be taken over by London Bus Museum on Sunday June 12th running vintage buses on the route predominantly Hounslow to Windsor, includes Heathrow Airport.. intensive service approx every 10 mins..

timetable

https://www.londonbusmuseum.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/Timetable-81-v3.pdf

list of participating buses

https://www.londonbusmuseum.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/81-bus-list-v3.pdf

https://www.londonbusmuseum.com/route-81-running-day/

oh did I sat how much? - Free service, all day.

See you there.  It's been in the diary for weeks.  It is also a cheeky way of getting some "wanted" route out in Slough whilst partaking of what should be a good day out.  2022 should be the year I finally manage to claim travel over all of London's advertised public bus routes (i.e. including the night buses which in some cases serve roads not covered by day but not including the large number of "open-door" 600-series school buses which often cover otherwise unserved roads and sometimes start on private land within school grounds) and can ink in the last blank on the map.  

There are a couple of short lengths out in Slough which have been introduced following town-centre one-way systems there since I last visited by bus many years ago.  So many years ago that the 81 was a half-hourly (and at times just hourly) single-deck route run by MBs from Hounslow (AV) garage.  The daily service is now every 10 - 15 minutes and it's been a double-deck route for a very long time just as it was when first introduced.  Apart from those little bits in Slough the only other section I still need to visit to the west of London is the E9 within Barnhill Estate at Yeading so making a special trip all the way to Slough has been a very low priority.  Until now.  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/06/2022 at 11:57, Gwiwer said:

See you there.  It's been in the diary for weeks.  It is also a cheeky way of getting some "wanted" route out in Slough whilst partaking of what should be a good day out.  2022 should be the year I finally manage to claim travel over all of London's advertised public bus routes (i.e. including the night buses which in some cases serve roads not covered by day but not including the large number of "open-door" 600-series school buses which often cover otherwise unserved roads and sometimes start on private land within school grounds) and can ink in the last blank on the map.  

There are a couple of short lengths out in Slough which have been introduced following town-centre one-way systems there since I last visited by bus many years ago.  So many years ago that the 81 was a half-hourly (and at times just hourly) single-deck route run by MBs from Hounslow (AV) garage.  The daily service is now every 10 - 15 minutes and it's been a double-deck route for a very long time just as it was when first introduced.  Apart from those little bits in Slough the only other section I still need to visit to the west of London is the E9 within Barnhill Estate at Yeading so making a special trip all the way to Slough has been a very low priority.  Until now.  

Yes will be there, I did Route 93 last October on Dorking -Putney that was a great day out too.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

EFE also did the 59/62 stock as static models so I imagine that they will bring out motorised models of them next. There's also a couple of liveries that haven't been covered such as the 62 stock train in the heritage red and cream and the 62 DM pilot motor painted green.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What about an Underground battery locomotive? The only major bodyshell differences were in the cabs which if moulded as a separate item several variations could be made. They have worn battleship grey, maroon and yellow liveries, of the latter some with blue, green or maroon sides. There is stock already available for them to haul such as Turbot ballast wagons. The Underground works trains were usually topped and tailed by these locomotives so some unpowered versions could also be made.

• Like 1

I realise that sound is a very personal preference; for a number of diesel classes I have sound fitted models that I really love, but I haven't yet really heard an EMU/electric sound file that captures the essence of riding these units. I never heard whistles or starting bells on tube stock - I think the signal was a single bell and it wasn't audible in the passenger saloons the way it was in mainline stock.

The very distinctive sounds were the Westinghouse air pump; and as well as the whine of the motors, the tap-tap-tap of the contactors as the train took power; plus the very audible 'pop' when the power handle was pulled back for coasting. The Bakerloo - with it's 1972 MkII stock - is pretty much the last bastion of this not only on the underground but on trains in Britain in general as DC traction motor packages join the ranks of obsolete technologies. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

..... but I haven't yet really heard an EMU/electric sound file that captures the essence of riding these units.

Surely the purpose of a sound file is to reproduce what the prototype sounded like from the platform / lineside?

CJI.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

So many years ago that the 81 was a half-hourly (and at times just hourly) single-deck route run by MBs from Hounslow (AV) garage.  The daily service is now every 10 - 15 minutes and it's been a double-deck route for a very long time just as it was when first introduced. 

I don't think MBs ever normally worked the 81 (we certainly had them when new on the 110 for a short while, before having MBSs on both the 110 and 111). After the RMs, the 81 had SMs then SMSs for several years before LSs took over for a longer period.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Surely the purpose of a sound file is to reproduce what the prototype sounded like from the platform / lineside?

That depends on what the modeller wants. They may prefer the sounds experienced when riding - or they may prefer to reproduce what the prototype sounded like from the platform / lineside.

A well-known provider of sound decoders offers a decoder for the Class 68 diesel, and claims it is accurate, as it was recorded in a train on the move.
It sounds nothing like a Class 68 working hard under acceleration. The most pronounced component of that sound is a very distinctive rapid series of loud explosions from the exhaust, such as can be experienced close to a Chiltern train climbing the incline Northbound on the approach to West Hampstead, or pulling away Southbound from Banbury.
Here are some examples - bear in mind that no replay loudspeaker gives anything like the full effect of standing beside these units as they take off.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Mike Buckner said:

That depends on what the modeller wants.

The view of a model train is that of an observer at a significant distance from it.

Why on earth would anyone wish to combine this with the sounds heard within the train?

I accept that there are bound to be the one or two exceptions, but I can't believe that serving such a niche market could be commercially viable.

CJI.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1