The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2022

didcot

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Mansfield is fun too .....

Cadwell.jpg.6b63e7bf39437ccb48a141a4cc5b620c.jpg

wonder if I still fit those leathers .........

I infer that we are lucky to still have you with us! My trip around the full Le Mans circuit in a Morgan with neither roof nor seatbelts, driven by someone other than the owner, refers.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Mansfield is fun too .....

Cadwell.jpg.6b63e7bf39437ccb48a141a4cc5b620c.jpg

wonder if I still fit those leathers .........

Is it sad that I recognise Performance Bike stickers on your belly pan?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Except that the “World” in that context was the name of the newspaper that sponsored the original competition rather than the planet, which we all inhabit.

There are US racing championships where the winner claims they are the "World champion", nothing to do with newspapers. All races are staged across the US, nowhere else. When questioned, the organisers stated, well anyone in the world can enter it.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Is it sad that I recognise Performance Bike stickers on your belly pan?

Cadwell Frenzy 1995 😎🏍🏍🏍🏍🏍🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 4

Bl00dy hell, I think I was at that one, too!  On my Aprilia Pegaso, no less - I still have a photo of me just as I was setting my front wheel down after cresting the Mountain.  Two years later I traded it in for a VFR, which I still have.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

I think Rouen was a better circuit than Reims, having rather more - and more interesting - corners, and some fairly dramatic changes of elevation.   The other one from that era was Charade which looks bonkers.

Dijon-Prenois looks fairly dull on paper but did have the benefit of being a bit uppy-downy, and saw some good racing e.g. Villeneuve vs Arnoux in 1979 (gotta love Villeneuve drifting his flat-12 Ferrari sideways out of La Combe - I thought ground effect didn't work properly if you were going sideways?)

Paul Ricard was never that great, then they made it worse...

Ground effect doesn’t work very well if you hang a socking great flat-12 engine in the way of the venturi either!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Bl00dy hell, I think I was at that one, too!  On my Aprilia Pegaso, no less - I still have a photo of me just as I was setting my front wheel down after cresting the Mountain.  Two years later I traded it in for a VFR, which I still have.

Must have been a different year to my two visits as they were on the short circuit, no mountain antics for me

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm no more of a fan after watching that. I don't think waiting until after work Monday (given the time difference) to watch the highlights is going to be a hardship.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Oh dear. 😮, I see a Court case coming up.

Looks to me like a revenge to Hamilton for getting Masi sacked.

FIA begins new clampdown on underwear and jewellery rules for drivers.

https://www.racefans.net/2022/05/05/fia-tells-f1-teams-to-confirm-they-are-complying-with-jewellery-and-underwear-rules/?fbclid=IwAR0uP3oqwBHCVHPt8xTi8xxhHEpHEA3RUCchZTFjurhTddEgeVhgi1BW9WU

Edited by Andrew P
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

20 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Hmmmmmm....

So a way out for Hamilton if he won't have his "welded in" piercings removed?

And will race scrutineers determine if drivers are wearing the approved longjohns at random, despite the declarations submitted by the teams?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

https://www.racefans.net/2022/05/05/fia-tells-f1-teams-to-confirm-they-are-complying-with-jewellery-and-underwear-rules/?fbclid=IwAR0uP3oqwBHCVHPt8xTi8xxhHEpHEA3RUCchZTFjurhTddEgeVhgi1BW9WU

Entirely practical in my eyes and surprising it has been allowed for so long. Fire is a much reduced risk now but as we saw in 2020 still an ever present one.

Saw somewhere years ago (possibly racecar engineering?) How jewelry and piercings will act as a heat sink in case of fire negating in part the effectiveness of fire proofs. Very hard to argue against regulations intended for your own safety and F1 is hardly alone as a sport in banning jewelry.

I am a Hamilton fan but I hope he doesn't have a blind spot on this issue and see it as a grudge.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Masi got himself sacked for being inept.

• Like 1
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

... FIA begins new clampdown on underwear and jewellery rules for drivers....

2 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

The hairpin after the long straight  ……

Maybe it's a lack of sleep making my mind work in silly ways but:

a) if the FIA don't like jewelry, why are we still allowed hairpins? 

b) and just before I get my hat and coat, are they going to check up on the underwear? (Has Netflix asked for televised group grid inspections, a la Carry On up the Khyber? I do wonder what lengths they'll go to to boost ratings). 

• Funny 18

1 hour ago, SR71 said:

Entirely practical in my eyes and surprising it has been allowed for so long. Fire is a much reduced risk now but as we saw in 2020 still an ever present one.

Saw somewhere years ago (possibly racecar engineering?) How jewelry and piercings will act as a heat sink in case of fire negating in part the effectiveness of fire proofs. Very hard to argue against regulations intended for your own safety and F1 is hardly alone as a sport in banning jewelry.

I am a Hamilton fan but I hope he doesn't have a blind spot on this issue and see it as a grudge.

I'm also a MASSIVE Hamilton fan, but I do have to agree, that rule has been in force for a few years, and he would have been aware of it.

Like wise, the under garment, many drivers have stated publicly that they cannot wear them, mainly through discomfort and itchiness.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

... Likewise, the under garment, many drivers have stated publicly that they cannot wear them, mainly through discomfort and itchiness.

Which (joking aside) surely is a danger in itself, as a distraction, when a driver's attention needs to be 100%. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

They said that before the Australian GP, Hamilton publicly defied this & nothing was done.

They have mentioned track limits but I saw plenty of drivers exceed them at Imola & the stewards appeared to hand out 1 black & white flag as a token gesture.

1. If you enter a sport, you have effectively agreed to abide by all the rules, not some of them.

2. If a rule is there, it should be enforced.

3. If the rule is no longer relevant, don't ignore it: remove it or update it.

4. If a rule has been ignored for years (as indeed this jewellery one has), that does not make it wrong to enforce it now.

After being reminded about jewellery before Australia, I would not have let anyone race unless it was removed. If. as Hamilton claimed, his jewellery needs surgical removal, then he can choose between surgical removal or not racing. That is his choice. It is not targeting Hamilton, it is simply enforcing rules which had been in F1 longer than him.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I'm also a MASSIVE Hamilton fan, but I do have to agree, that rule has been in force for a few years, and he would have been aware of it.

Like wise, the under garment, many drivers have stated publicly that they cannot wear them, mainly through discomfort and itchiness.

The article did read as if drivers have been wearing other underwear underneath their fire retardant  ones. "During scrutinization, driver A was found to have been wearing red lace ladies panties next to his skin".  

• Funny 6

I was of the opinion that if a driver wore piercings and became injured due to them, then its their own fault. But I hadn't thought of the implications of MRI scans and the like, which is the bigger picture. So rules are rules. Bolt croppers for Mr Hamilton  

• Like 1
  • Agree 3