The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2022

didcot

• RMweb Gold

I wasn’t watching the Schumacher race at the time but have seen his “crash” replayed many times.  I did see the quail when Rosberg ran off the the track.  Both probably deliberate but as you say one was ruled not to be.  Life isn’t fair - deal with it.  I don’t think today’s crashes were deliberate but if you want to see conspiracies and legislate against them then have fun.  I have watched some of the US racing on Sky and much prefer F1 and F2.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 27/05/2022 at 13:37, LNERandBR said:

Talking about Race Directors, the FIA President thinks a Rally Co-driver would be a good F1 Race Director. Would that work or be a disaster?

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/which-wrc-co-drivers-would-make-good-f1-race-directors/

They would make his office upside down covered in mud and grass and have him hanging by his straps looking out of a cracked window  with a   cigarette smoking fan asking for an autograph .He will feel at home then .

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

10 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

You do not compete in any form of motor sport and not try to go as

fast as possible . I have scars to prove it .

Totally agree, I still have mine from being over optimistic when doing Moto Cross.

Reading General = Mr Peters is on his way AGAIN. 😁

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Let's hope it rains later to liven up the monotonous train the Monaco GP is. 

Despite smaller cars and regular overtaking most weekends that's 2 F2 races over which provided close racing, the odd clash with the barriers but little else.

I believe this is the last year of the current F1 contract and a new one is yet to be signed. I know it's history but is it time to move on from the annual procession? 

In addition is it really a race weekend for racing fans? After yesterdays qualifying the packed stands were deserted mere minutes later when the F2 sprint race started and this mornings feature race was through a ghost town.

• Like 2

After last year’s championship being decided by the race director, and so far this year more strange decisions by the RD, plus jewellerygate, if Monaco disappears from the calendar I’m going too. With the WEC going from strength to strength, and manufacturers falling over each other in their rush to join in, I don’t think I’ll miss F1 as much as I would have even five years ago.

Edited by Obi-Jiff Kenobi
Spelling
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

If we were seeing similar 'crashes' at other tracks then I'd agree a new rule is needed.

However, it seems these incidents are only happening at one track, the one where there's the most risk if you put a tyre just slightly wrong given there are barriers so close throughout the track. Therefore, the likelihood that every one of the drivers having these incidents are doing so deliberately is quite low, what's more likely is they are making genuine mistakes as they are pushing too hard.

Verstappen binned it at Jeddah last year while trying to beat Hamilton's lap. There was nobody behind who was likely to top the timings but that is not the point. Everyone should have the chance to do so.

As fans, we are more interested in the battle for pole, but the officials (& therefore the rules) should treat all drivers with equal importance whether it is 1st/2nd, 5th/6th or 13th/14th.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

Its raining!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

Despite smaller cars and regular overtaking most weekends that's 2 F2 races over which provided close racing, the odd clash with the barriers but little else.

I believe this is the last year of the current F1 contract and a new one is yet to be signed. I know it's history but is it time to move on from the annual procession? 

In addition is it really a race weekend for racing fans? After yesterdays qualifying the packed stands were deserted mere minutes later when the F2 sprint race started and this mornings feature race was through a ghost town.

This is common at most F1 events .People go to see the F1 and pay a fortune for the privilage .The feeder formulas do have their followers at dedicated weekends . Not a large amount but it tends to be old school racing where different series all meet up  for their own fight . be that in an A35 modded ,to GP3 or Formula OpenSeries and DTM ,BTCC.

Edited by friscopete
  • Like 1

On BBC radio 5 live, the discussion among the commentators.

Jack Nichnolls:  'Are we waiting for anything in particular to happen now?'

Jolyon Palmer: 'Yea, for the track to dry'.

LOL.

Edited by rocor
What was I thinking? not James Allen, but Jack Nichnolls.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, didcot said:

Thankfully Shuchmacher walked away from that! 

Fully endorse the above comment. That crash shows how far safety design has come on from the early days of my F1 watching. Crash - learn/share - design - implement safety improvement. As it should be.

During the cleaning up - Weird seeing the back wheels bit of the Haas being trundled off like a hi-tech wheelbarrow.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

22 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

2 hour time limit?

Yes and no. Yes as no time to fit the laps in but no as for some reason the commentators couldn't understand the FIA decided the aborted initial formation laps behind the safety car were actual race laps at the last minute so when the race restarted 5 minutes were already on the clock. One day they'll read their own rule book. After Mick's crash Martin confirmed it should have been a standing restart rather than a rolling start so, again, rules being made up as they go.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

Is Alonso trying to make a point of some kind, or....what?

Thinks he's out on a Sunday Afternoon drive.  He'll stop shortly for tea and scones.  Or whatever the Spanish equivalent is.

• Funny 4

Standard Monaco GP. The only excitement was caused by the rain and the FIA's casual disregard for the rules. When they were actually racing it was just a procession as shown by Alonso trundling round and nothing anyone could do about it. Had to chuckle when Lewis asked how far ahead the leaders were and was told they were only 30 seconds behind him!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3