The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2022

didcot

I suspect all of the top teams have someone who does that, look at the designs of cars over the years, the FIA usually having to close the stable door after the horse had gone!

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Hobby said:

I suspect all of the top teams have someone who does that, look at the designs of cars over the years, the FIA usually having to close the stable door after the horse had gone!

They certainly should. There is too much at stake to not have someone with a good knowledge of the rules. Who knows when it will gain a position or 2?

Some seem to think it is cheating to learn the rules & find loopholes, but surely it is silly not to because somebody else will?

I don't think it is fair to change rules mid-season. Incidents like this need to be noted & the rules given an overhaul at the end of the season. This should be a regular procedure, even if it generates a 'no changes necessary' outcome.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Hobby said:

1 minute ago, Pete the Elaner said:

They certainly should. There is too much at stake to not have someone with a good knowledge of the rules. Who knows when it will gain a position or 2?

Some seem to think it is cheating to learn the rules & find loopholes, but surely it is silly not to because somebody else will?

I don't think it is fair to change rules mid-season. Incidents like this need to be noted & the rules given an overhaul at the end of the season. This should be a regular procedure, even if it generates a 'no changes necessary' outcome.

Indeed they all will do, but Red Bull seem to have a savant strategist like no other - they were clearly working hard at the end of the last race of the last season!!  When RB fail it seems to be mechanical, with the other teams it is strategy that lets them down.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Indeed they all will do, but Red Bull seem to have a savant strategist like no other - they were clearly working hard at the end of the last race of the last season!!  When RB fail it seems to be mechanical, with the other teams it is strategy that lets them down.

I don't agree that Abu Dhabi was tough. Pitting Verstappen for new tyres was an easy decision. He had plenty of lead over 3rd place so stayed in 2nd & therefore had nothing to lose. They would have stayed out if Hamilton had pitted.

It was their lobbying to Masi for the unprecedented safety car procedure which made the pit stop pay off.

But I completely agree that they seem to have a better strategic awareness than others.

The only time I can remember them being out-foxed was Hungary 3-4 years ago where Mercedes pitted Hamilton from 2nd for new tyres so he could catch & pass Verstappen. There was nothing they could have done with this either though: Mercedes had nothing to lose because 3rd was 40 seconds behind & pitting gave them at least a fastest lap & the chance to catch & pass Verstappen for the lead, but this seemed unlikely at the time.

• Like 1

Just now, Pete the Elaner said:

I don't agree that Abu Dhabi was tough. Pitting Verstappen for new tyres was an easy decision. He had plenty of lead over 3rd place so stayed in 2nd & therefore had nothing to lose. They would have stayed out if Hamilton had pitted.

It was their lobbying to Masi for the unprecedented safety car procedure which made the pit stop pay off.

I'm not referring to pit stop strategy - the lobbying for the unprecedented procedure i.e. having someone who can facilitate a narrative that got Red Bull the outcome they desired.  This is all about the application of rules - like how far you can cross a pit stop exit line, how much you can cut a corner, how aggressive you can be overtaking and what happens at the end of a safety car period.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

I'm not referring to pit stop strategy - the lobbying for the unprecedented procedure i.e. having someone who can facilitate a narrative that got Red Bull the outcome they desired.  This is all about the application of rules - like how far you can cross a pit stop exit line, how much you can cut a corner, how aggressive you can be overtaking and what happens at the end of a safety car period.

Yep, they were pushing their luck ... & got lucky.

I don't blame them at all for trying it on.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

35 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Of course an alternative interpretation of events to that of a brilliant reading of the rules by Red Bull, could be, that Max did not know he could put his tires on the line, and just made a mistake.

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, rocor said:

Of course an alternative interpretation of events to that of a brilliant reading of the rules by Red Bull, could be, that Max did not know he could put his tires on the line, and just made a mistake.

Of course its possible, but it's interesting there were different versions of the rules in play on the day depending on who's copy of the rules you had.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

And to think Perez was out on his ar$e whilst out driving most on the grid before Red Bull picked him up.

Finally RB have a worthy driver in the second seat, sadly politics won't let him challenge Jos Max Verstappen too much, though it is interesting how Monaco he was faster than Max all weekend and the strategy benefitted him.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Max Verstappen's dad, Jos, blasts Red Bull's strategy at Monaco GP. 🤣  😆   🤪

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/34012761/max-verstappen-dad-jos-blasts-red-bull-strategy-monaco-gp

He is very biased (& who wouldn't be in his position) but I think he is wrong.

Sergio had been quicker than Max through most of the weekend. That is not the team's fault. The team are not far enough ahead to focus on 1 driver. They need more team points at this stage in the season. Trying to push Max to 1st may have dropped Sergio to 4th.

Remember what happened in 1999, when Ferrari put everything behind Schumacher from early in the season? He broke his leg in Silverstone & his team-mate (Irvine) missed out on the title by a point (it was actually 3 but Schumacher finished in front of him at the last race because swapping them no longer made a difference).

However.

I stated last year & again at the weekend that the rules for qualifying are unfair in that by crashing, Sergio kept others (Particularly Max) behind him who could have beaten his P3 time,

But the rules are already there & if you don't try to get them changed before the season, you have no right to complain.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Max Verstappen's dad, Jos, blasts Red Bull's strategy at Monaco GP.

So you can see where Max gets it from. Jos was nothing special as a driver, but as a bullish father he gets top marks!

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, rocor said:

I seriously doubt strategists were involved, or that he made a mistake. He just deliberately pushed his luck as he always does to ensure he could block the Ferrari as he came out of the pits.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, LNERandBR said:

I now understand why RB didn't get penalised for going over the line on the pit exit. Turns out the rule has changed, who knew...

Not so much changed, as reworded and as usual, worded badly and ambiguously.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 31/05/2022 at 17:56, didcot said:

So you can see where Max gets it from. Jos was nothing special as a driver, but as a bullish father he gets top marks!

Indeed he was a bully. People saw it and took due  note .Drivers fathers are often bullies and their mothers privately and quietly weep.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Andrew P said:

The punishment for breaking cost cap rules is to make the team spend more money...

How does that work? Big teams will now have a line in their accounts for fines. Although this wasn't actually an overspend so we still wait to see if that ever happens.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SR71 said:

The punishment for breaking cost cap rules is to make the team spend more money...

How does that work? Big teams will now have a line in their accounts for fines. Although this wasn't actually an overspend so we still wait to see if that ever happens.

In theory it works by making overspending very expensive. The alternative I suppose would be something like points deductions, although I'm not keen on points being (directly) affected by anything other than what happens on the track.

• Like 1