The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2022

didcot

9 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Your also right again about McLaren being crazy to sign him again.

As I understand things, in his first stint at McLaren, Alonso believed he had been signed as "number 1 driver", whereas Hamilton believed that they had been signed on a basis of equal status within the team.  So we can't rule out the possibility that either McLaren genuinely did issue two contracts that contradicted each other, or that the contracts were badly worded enough that the drivers could read what they wanted to from them. (And I can quite understand how a double World Champion partnering a driver in his firs F1 season would expect to be treated as "number 1 driver").

If either of those are correct, then McLaren hold at least some responsibility for what ensued and would have been at pains to ensure that the situation between drivers was made clearer in future.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It also led to the Spygate saga. Mclaren were allegedly in possession of Ferrari IP. Alsonso used this the blackmail Ron Dennis, who then panicked and confessed to the FIA. A hefty fine was issued and the supposedly infamous quote from Max Moseley to Ron Dennis along the lines of x amount for being caught and y amount for being a  C@#$.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Andrew P said:

It would be great if Alpine now drop AlFonso for the rest of the Season, and use a Sub or permeant replacement.  

Unfortunately, that could be expensive in contract fulfilment terms.......

Now if Spain was to invade another country and he could be dropped as Mazepin was.............

Which would also leave a Ferrari seat open.

Edited by newbryford
  • Funny 2

4 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Unfortunately, that could be expensive in contract fulfilment terms.......

Now if Spain was to invade another country and he could be dropped as Mazepin was.............

Which would also leave a Ferrari seat open.

They will certainly keep him well clear of any info, up grades, technical briefings etc. 

There must a clause somewhere that if the Team feels a Driver is not going to give 100% then he / she can be dropped from a Race.

• Like 2

Lewis Hamilton reveals he dislikes driving outside of F1

Can't say I blame him, to be honest: there may be a few whackos on the track but nowhere near as many as I seem to encounter on a daily basis on public roads.  And at least everyone's going the same way (most of the time).

On a separate note: those who moan about the inconsistent enforcement of track limits in F1 (which I have been known to do myself from time to time) will no doubt have been heartened by the example set in the Commonwealth Games Women's 4x400 relay final...

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

On a separate note: those who moan about the inconsistent enforcement of track limits in F1 (which I have been known to do myself from time to time) will no doubt have been heartened by the example set in the Commonwealth Games Women's 4x400 relay final...

Was that the DQ for encroaching on another lane?

Seems harsh is you are the one penalised but the only way to be fair is to be vigilant with the rules.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/08/2022 at 14:35, SR71 said:

Re floors and budget caps. The FIA can only change safety rules mid season without agreement. Floors were never intended under the rules to bend and they are introducing new tests to enforce the rules? If teams have knowingly been on the edge of the rules because they had found a way to bend the floor that wasn't detected by the current test then they should have no claim for reworking to comply with the rule that has always said they shouldn't deflect?

Haven't read into the full detail but on the face of it that appears to be the situation?

It has shades of last year's flexi wing accusations. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Let's hope so, it should liven up the second half of the season.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/amp/124213/mercedes-has-done-it-we-ve-finally-got-rid-of-it.html

Hmm - let's do some very hypothetical maths.

George Russell wins every GP to the end of the year, Lewis finishes second, Max finishes 3rd.

George and Max are level on points.....................

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 4

42 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Hmm - let's do some very hypothetical maths.

George Russell wins every GP to the end of the year, Lewis finishes second, Max finishes 3rd.

George and Max are level on points.....................

And then George wins it on the last lap due to some FIA shenanigans.... Karma!... And then I woke up.

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, 37114 said:

And then George wins it on the last lap due to some FIA shenanigans.... Karma!... And then I woke up.

GR would win anyway due to higher number of race wins.....

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

What about fastest lap? Or are you giving that to other drivers to make the maths easier 😆

Hammy can have that....

Hmmm - even more hypothetical maths.

Lewis 1st and fastest lap.

GR second.

Max 3rd and wins the championship by 2 points - so the pressure is on RB to make sure Max is 3rd every time..............

😀

Edited by newbryford
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Saw a bit of formula e this morning. Still didn't really interest me but they are continuing to develop it. If they stopped racing them down alleyways they could probably have some decent overtakes.

If Liberty go through with dropping some of the legacy circuits I could see FE picking up Spa and Monaco if they are both dropped from F1. They already race on a shortened version of Monaco as it is.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SR71 said:

Saw a bit of formula e this morning. Still didn't really interest me but they are continuing to develop it. If they stopped racing them down alleyways they could probably have some decent overtakes.

If Liberty go through with dropping some of the legacy circuits I could see FE picking up Spa and Monaco if they are both dropped from F1. They already race on a shortened version of Monaco as it is.

I think Formula E now use the full circuit at Monaco. The most entertaining thing about the race this morning was the 8 car pile up on lap 2. 

• Like 2