The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2022

didcot

I feel I can say this on here without fear of my head being bitten off.

If Red Bull are not further over their 2022 budget than they were in 2021, I will be very surprised for the following reasons:

They fought until the end of 2021. They had made a habit of this in the past while their competitors worked on the new car & as a result, they had started the following season with some catching up to do.

The only exception was 2021 when they had a head start because of the aero changes forcing other teams to change their design.

Ferrari had sacrificed almost 2 seasons of development to work on their 2022 car so they should have been clear of everyone. They were ... except Red Bull. How did Red Bull pull this off?

I don't think Red Bull's engine issues were major but they had brought aero updates to races regularly in the first half of the season. Their opponents were hesitant to introduce updates because they were concerned about staying within the budget cap. Binotto was so sure about this that he said it on the record.

Horner has gone on record claiming that it is impossible to stay within the budget cap & threatened to withdraw from the final few races as a result.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Just my opinion.

Abu Dabi = 8 None RB affiliated teams say; we will not Race unless Points are deducted from  2021 and 2022 plus wind tunnel and cost cap reductions for 2023.

So another re run like Indianapolis with 16 cars peeling off after the parade lap.

🤪  👍

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

The 9 other teams managed it so not that impossible 😉

The other teams managed it in 2021. Budgets for 2022 will not be audited for several months.

But if anybody has made any budgeting errors in 2021, they will probably have continued until they are corrected, which is now, but we are over 3/4 of the way through the season.

Red Bull have got so far ahead since the opening round that it raises the question of "how?".

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

15 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Red Bull have got so far ahead since the opening round that it raises the question of "how?".

Neweygate?  I guess the question is whether Adrian Newey is not only acknowledged as the best, but is in a league of his own.

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Just my opinion.

Abu Dabi = 8 None RB affiliated teams say; we will not Race unless Points are deducted from  2021 and 2022 plus wind tunnel and cost cap reductions for 2023.

So another re run like Indianapolis with 16 cars peeling off after the parade lap.

🤪  👍

I love the idea however they all have too much self interest to be that joined up sadly. 

3 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I feel I can say this on here without fear of my head being bitten off.

If Red Bull are not further over their 2022 budget than they were in 2021, I will be very surprised for the following reasons:

They fought until the end of 2021. They had made a habit of this in the past while their competitors worked on the new car & as a result, they had started the following season with some catching up to do.

The only exception was 2021 when they had a head start because of the aero changes forcing other teams to change their design.

Ferrari had sacrificed almost 2 seasons of development to work on their 2022 car so they should have been clear of everyone. They were ... except Red Bull. How did Red Bull pull this off?

I don't think Red Bull's engine issues were major but they had brought aero updates to races regularly in the first half of the season. Their opponents were hesitant to introduce updates because they were concerned about staying within the budget cap. Binotto was so sure about this that he said it on the record.

Horner has gone on record claiming that it is impossible to stay within the budget cap & threatened to withdraw from the final few races as a result.

Now that they have both titles sown up, if I were RB I would be doing the minimum to comply with my contractual obligations (e.g. complete a couple of laps and then retire the cars)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 37114 said:

Now that they have both titles sown up, if I were RB I would be doing the minimum to comply with my contractual obligations (e.g. complete a couple of laps and then retire the cars)

But then, it would be so abundantly clear that RB were taking the piss, that even the FIA couldn't fail to notice. RB will just keep on, milking their cheating superiority for the rest of the season.

• Agree 6

1 hour ago, 37114 said:

I love the idea however they all have too much self interest to be that joined up sadly. 

How's this for an idea, cancel the rest of the season and the money saved could be offset against any overspend previously and wipe the slate clean. and further if a driver causes damage to another car then that drivers team pays for the repair, e,g Russell crashed into Sainz therefore the repair to the Ferrari should be paid out of the Mercedes budget.

Edited by ianwales
  • Funny 4

In the spirit of retributive penalties, dock five points off drivers guilty of unsportsmanlike behaviour on the track. More than one penalty deduction could be achieved in a single race....  They could then compete for a trophy, awarded at the end of the season, given to the driver with the most points deducted.

A similar scheme could run in parallel for teams.

Well, it MIGHT encourage better driving manners....

• Funny 2

2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

In the spirit of retributive penalties, dock five points off drivers guilty of unsportsmanlike behaviour on the track. More than one penalty deduction could be achieved in a single race....  They could then compete for a trophy, awarded at the end of the season, given to the driver with the most points deducted.

A similar scheme could run in parallel for teams.

Well, it MIGHT encourage better driving manners....

Bang Goes half of Hamilton's championships🤣

Fernando Alonso: Alpine driver questions Formula 1 direction after US GP penalty

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/63381586

Fernando Alonso says FIA set for 'important day' after Alpine protest U.S. GP penalty

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/34871885/fernando-alonso-says-fia-set-important-day-alpine-protest-us-gp-penalty

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Fernando Alonso: Alpine driver questions Formula 1 direction after US GP penalty

Fernando Alonso says FIA set for 'important day' after Alpine protest U.S. GP penalty

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/34871885/fernando-alonso-says-fia-set-important-day-alpine-protest-us-gp-penalty

I can see both sides of this.

Haas complained about Perez not being called in to the pits to change his damaged wing before it broke off. They have been called in to repair/remove broken parts multiple times this season. I cannot remember how many laps Perez's wing was flapping for, but the commentators remarked on it a while before it broke off.

Alonso's mirror was flapping around for some time too. They had plenty of time to show him the black/orange flag.

The whole point of insisting cars pit to remove loose bodywork is to prevent it falling off & causing a problem for others, so it this needs to be done as soon as possible, not wait for a few laps to see if it falls off. Once it does, it has already become a problem.

I believe Alonso had pitted with the damaged mirror, so the penalty was for not making it safe when the car was released from his stop.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Ah but Perez was driving a Red Bull - perfectly fine. Now if it had been Hamilton or a Haas (as has already been pointed out) then a pit stop would have been mandatory (like was did a few races ago) ............

Don't forget RB need to be given some slack as they have an unjust penalty hanging over them and some bloke died

Oh, I've just broke my sarcasm mode 

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

This article highlights how contradictory RB's position is.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/63367847

Only a couple of hundred thousand over (I'll take one or two of those if you've got spare hanging around that you don't know what to do with thanks Christian) but a classification error put their spend up by 7 figures when included.

Red bull have said the cost cap was difficult to meet.

Red bull also claiming to be, by their calculation, at least $10m under the cap.

Leaving aside how contradictory those positions are I find it hard to believe a competitive race team would leave that much on the table. Even if it was contingency for accident damage you would rapidly spend it at the end of the season on raw materials for the following year to boost the following year's campaign.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

24 minutes ago, SR71 said:

This article highlights how contradictory RB's position is.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/63367847

Only a couple of hundred thousand over (I'll take one or two of those if you've got spare hanging around that you don't know what to do with thanks Christian) but a classification error put their spend up by 7 figures when included.

Red bull have said the cost cap was difficult to meet.

Red bull also claiming to be, by their calculation, at least $10m under the cap.

Leaving aside how contradictory those positions are I find it hard to believe a competitive race team would leave that much on the table. Even if it was contingency for accident damage you would rapidly spend it at the end of the season on raw materials for the following year to boost the following year's campaign.

Assuming of course that the team has enough money to spend the full cap. Not that I doubt RB do, but I'm sure there are several teams that don't.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Once again highlights the lack of consistency and spoiled what was a great recovery drive from Alonso.

I also thought Russell’s penalty a bit harsh, even though he admitted error and apologised.  Sainz had taken an unusual line and turned in, Russell had entered the first turn on a more conventional route, but was unable to brake hard enough when Sainz appeared in front.

Finally, credit where due, Vettel had an outstanding drive and would have probably finished a well-deserved sixth but for that troublesome pit-stop.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2